DIY Refugium with an Aquaclear

MaxPado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have just started up my first saltwater tank ever and I'm quite excited about it! I have a 20gal long with an Aquaclear 50 for my filtration. My plan is to purchase another Aquaclear to make a refugium to house a scooter dragonet. I have two questions. First one is, should I purchase an Aquaclear 70 and use it for the filtration and use my preexisting 50 for the refugium or vise versa? My next question is will a refugium of this size will be large enough to establish a good colony of pods to help keep this fish fed? I hope my questions make sense! Any advice would you be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Max

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have just started up my first saltwater tank ever and I'm quite excited about it! I have a 20gal long with an Aquaclear 50 for my filtration. My plan is to purchase another Aquaclear to make a refugium to house a scooter dragonet. I have two questions. First one is, should I purchase an Aquaclear 70 and use it for the filtration and use my preexisting 50 for the refugium or vise versa? My next question is will a refugium of this size will be large enough to establish a good colony of pods to help keep this fish fed? I hope my questions make sense! Any advice would you be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Max

I would take a look at fijicube hang on back ones. And as long as you seed it you should have a good population of pods but I would still be cautious of getting any dragonette with that size tank.

OP
OP
MaxPado

MaxPado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at fijicube hang on back ones. And as long as you seed it you should have a good population of pods but I would still be cautious of getting any dragonette with that size tank.
Cautious because of the volume of water or because the dragonet will deplete the population of pods very quickly?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aquaclear 70 hob fuge for my 20g and a scooter dragonette that is trained in brine shrimp. Even with brine shrimp feeding he destroyed the pod population in the actual tank. It would not be enough for me to let him eat only pods I dont think the aquaclear has enough room to be viable

OP
OP
MaxPado

MaxPado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aquaclear 70 hob fuge for my 20g and a scooter dragonette that is trained in brine shrimp. Even with brine shrimp feeding he destroyed the pod population in the actual tank. It would not be enough for me to let him eat only pods I dont think the aquaclear has enough room to be viable
Alright thanks! The dragonettes from my LFS are also trained to eat brine as well so with both the pods and brine i should be ok right? I really love the scooter and would love to have one but if you guys dont think it's a good idea then I wont get it. Dont want the little guy to suffer ya know.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks! The dragonettes from my LFS are also trained to eat brine as well so with both the pods and brine i should be ok right? I really love the scooter and would love to have one but if you guys dont think it's a good idea then I wont get it. Dont want the little guy to suffer ya know.
I read the whole thing wrong I thought you were after a mandarin dragonette. If its trained to brine like mine then a scooter blenny is very viable in a 20 in my opinion.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back