DIY stand vs store bought stand

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have a build plan for a 5x2x2 150 gallon peninsula tank?

Take a look at my build thread below. Easily adapted for another foot - mine is 120g, 4x2x2. This is a full canopy version, but it may give you some ideas. Only difference is I would suggest making the canopy from 1x4's instead of 2x4's like I did.

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a marine primer it dries like a polyurethane to seal the timber then you can use any paint you want over it

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A moisture resistant paint for inside is awesome. I used it myself. For the outside, I went with spar varnish. Basically just a poly with extra solids in it.

A stand can be built cheap and still look good. Especially if you plan on painting the outside. I used some african mahogany for mine, and it made it WAY expensive, and I still haven't done the door... Life got in the way.

Pic with my son for scale:

mPwIo7S.jpg

2x4 frame, baltic birch top and back, skinned in african mahogany.

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is the way to go. You can customize it to your likings and usually costs less. Watch the KingOfDIY's video on YouTube about how to build a stand. I used it for my 90g and it's been up for a year now

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the question I have really is about where the canopy and the stand is "connected"/attached. can seem to find a plan that merges the two parts
I had metal hammer steal supports made and also built the stand myself. I tried to buy one but could not find a quality stand that looked good. I also tried to get one built but because of the economy in Austin no one was willing to do it for less than a couple grand.
tSuDgVL.jpg

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will really impact price is the finished skin and trim molding on the outside of the stand. I think if you keep it simple you could do something for about $60-70. I did the traditional dimensional stand as well based on this plan:

Rule of thumb is if the tank is 4 foot or less, all boards are 2x4's. If the tank is larger than 4 foot, the top boards (red and yellow) are 2x6's, while all others are 2x4's. Here is may actual frame for my five foot 90 gallon DT:

And here is the stand skinned with 3/8's plywood and simple rectangular pine trim, and doors I made. That open panel was purposely done to expose the refugium of the sump where two clowns hang out.

The window in the stand is a great idea. So cool!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back