DIY stand vs store bought stand

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a good carpenter. I also do not have all the of the needed tools. So I refer store stand or pay for someone to build it for me.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all boils down to whether or not you feel comfortable building your own stand. There are good posts here and good video's on you-tube. Personally I think many of the cheaper store bought stands look a bit flimsy to me so I generally build my own. It's nice to be able to match your furniture or custom build to the height and size you want. I built the stand under my 210 where one end comes off to allow me to remove the 75g sump if I need to. For most tanks it's simple a 2x4 box faced with plywood. From there you can get as fancy as you desire by adding trim and raised panel doors etc. As far as cost goes larger stands can be a bit cheaper than the store bought to a lot more depending on your build. It's always nice to do it yourself if you can.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stand that i built 40 years ago and is still as strong and durable as when I built it. So it really is a matter of choice as to what you want and need

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every store bought stand I've ever seen has been horrible in terms of material and construction quality, let alone 'style'. If you're good at it, build it yourself. If not, I bet a decent cabinet shop could do better for not much more money than typical pet store stands.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to oak I recommend blondewood. Its very nice and about half the cost.

spectra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine myself as I like it a little taller. Also the factory stands just stink.....granted mine is for a smaller tank but the same principal. When I do go big I do steel so welding one up will not be a big deal. I have made some for 250 gallons in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 227

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one 14 years ago and a few years back redid the whole stand. Looks really nice now. The issue for me was the height so I jacked it up 6 inches and added a ledge for me to rest my arms on.
BEFORE
DSCF0371.JPG

AFTER
IMG_3093.JPG

Same stand redone. The only think I would of did different is the stain.

DSCF0538.JPG DSCF0540.JPG
Took the original doors and made them into these boxes. Which are removable.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Nicely done!
I'm all for building your own but then I'm a carpenter...
Storebought cabinets are just made way too cheap for my taste, and most are not meant to last.
Making it the size you want for gear is a big plus as well, most storeboughts seem low in height that can be problematic for adding the gear we need or want.
There's something to be said for having your own custom cabinet that you put your sweat into knowing it will be a piece you can keep forever.

CptKiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438132652.607161.jpg
In my opinion it's almost always better to DIY. You can really make use of space and get exactly what you want. I've made a couple stands - 29Gal and the one pictured, for my 55gal. The problems I encountered were based on my limited wood-working abilities. The trim work becomes the difficult part in the end. Anyone can build a wood box that will hold an aquarium. The tricky part is making it look nice! The more tools you have, the better. If you only have a hammer and a couple screwdrivers, its going to be difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done...The stand pictured was built with one mitre saw, a cordless screwdriver, wood screws, sandpaper, paint and glue and one month of devoted free time for planning and building. I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like and I started with a base that fit the aquarium. Everything else was built around that. Be sure to construct it so that you can easily break it down. This stand can be take down to 6 pieces in a matter of minutes without touching the tank. The stronger it is the heavier it will be too (obviously), but when in doubt, go BIG (and strong)! I can move this stand by myself because of the ability to break down the whole thing at seams.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Nicely done!
I'm all for building your own but then I'm a carpenter...
Storebought cabinets are just made way too cheap for my taste, and most are not meant to last.
Making it the size you want for gear is a big plus as well, most storeboughts seem low in height that can be problematic for adding the gear we need or want.
There's something to be said for having your own custom cabinet that you put your sweat into knowing it will be a piece you can keep forever.

Exactly...
Building it yourself has many advantages; custom size, custom design, custom style and custom finish.
Once finished, you will know exactly how it was built and how long it will last.
If it does need any repairs, you know what materials you need and how to do it.
Building stands are not that difficult; it's a box. A fancy box, but still a box. (Disclaimer: I'm a cabinetmaker.)
And when you're finished building your own stand, there's something a store bought stand cannot give you; PRIDE!

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some really good stands here but I dont recommend going that route unless you like woodworking. I suspect that most guys wont agree with me here but I am pretty handy and it was still a pain! Even though it looks great, it took me a long time b/c the wood warped after I purchased it. I had a heck of a time getting it all straight. Plus it voids any warranty your tank may carry. Having said that, my previous stand was a purchased and it had to be thrown out after 8+ years.

If you decide to build it, I recommend the RocketEngineer DIY frame. That's the one I based mine off of and most of the ones here seem to be as well. Google it and you will find a massive thread.

speedmaster42601

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own stand for both my tanks my 90 which I'm selling and the 150 that I just upgraded to but it's not finished need to build the doors
fae7db921d5201a0741e392c046c9d07.jpg

This is the 90
8d5fbe9e813805d6f8e6a3743d92f538.jpg

This is my 150

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I built my stand also. Cost definitely depends on how detailed you want the stand. I spent way too much on mine but it is what I wanted so I didn't mind. If you need to meet specific requirements, DIY is the way to go. If not, just buy a decent store bought stand. Stay away from particle board. Make sure it's wood, oak, pine, etc.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building stands are not that difficult; it's a box. A fancy box, but still a box. (Disclaimer: I'm a cabinetmaker.)
And when you're finished building your own stand, there's something a store bought stand cannot give you; PRIDE!

Totally agree, and a very skilled carpenter I used to work w/ used to say to everyone, "all you gotta do is not let wood outsmart you!" lol
I probably spent about $800 on materials on mine, but that was for mahogany and stained glass, and I have a cabinet and canopy that is truly one of a kind and fits me quite well.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I gave my old 75g and stand away for free to a friend so had to get a new stand.
I decided to go with DYI as that way I can have all the freedom I want. Result is not quite exactly what I wanted, but I can keep working on it. The one disadvantage with my stand is the weight, it weights a ton

vnz7lf.jpg

72ymon.jpg

Don't have a pic with the doors on, however I got some Ikea doors and they are slightly too big, so they don't fit in the opening... will have to somehow cut a few mm near the top/bottom and sides.

Also my finish is really bad and I'm not certain how to fix that either as I don't have any carpentry skills besides structural

Gansett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a wood stand for my 125, and it ended up costing about 200-300 bucks when it was said and done. That was finished and looking pretty good. The benefit of building it yourself is it will look how you want it to look. Now I just had a metal stand for my new build done and it was about 700 bucks.
Hello I'm thinking of either building a stand or buying one. Can any of you guys tell me if you think this would be cheaper the buying a store bought one . By the way I'm making a stand for an 125 gallon tank
Make sure you use pressure treated lumber and stainless steel fasteners. I had a custom steel stand build and had a cabinet maker friend build a three sided surround out of MDO board. It easily slides around the steel frame and I used european hinges so that the doors were removable.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use pressure treated lumber and stainless steel fasteners. I had a custom steel stand build and had a cabinet maker friend build a three sided surround out of MDO board. It easily slides around the steel frame and I used european hinges so that the doors were removable.

I would not advise using pressure treated material, way too many chemicals injected, one being a copper based chemical, and you know how we all try to avoid any copper around our reefs.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 48 22.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back