DIY tip of the day #6 - NSW reference

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you go swimming in the ocean go a bit deeper fill a bottle of NSW (Natural Salt Water) and use as a second reference for CA MG ALK and salinity :) The ocean doesn't have the same parameters everywhere so use only if you are close to Florida LOL !!!

DSCN3730.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably sound stupid, but what is NSW? do you mean get the water from deeper in tank and test it?
Natural Salt Water :) hey dont feel bad ........... a month ago after comming back to the forums I asked whts WTSWYG :) or something like that LOL

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is natural sea water. i believe hes talking about when swimming in the ocean

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels are terrible around where I live. Calcium is 340 and phosphates are over .1. The ocean doesn't have the same parameters everywhere.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you go swimming in the ocean go a bit deeper fill a bottle of NSW (Natural Salt Water) and use as a second reference for CA MG ALK and salinity :) The ocean doesn't have the same parameters everywhere so use only if you are close to Florida LOL !!!

DSCN3730.jpg
Too bad I live close to Fiji. Guess I'll have to wait til my next trip to Florida. And to think I thought Fiji water was the bomb....
jk...great idea...In august I will be in Florida for my 1 year anniversary beach trip. I think Ill pick some up. The wifey will probably roll her eyes and mutter 'its always about the fish tank'

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live close to Fiji, test the water. Might be perfect. It's usually the farther from civilization the better the water.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live close to Fiji, test the water. Might be perfect. It's usually the farther from civilization the better the water.
LOL...I'm not in fiji mate, I'm in the bustling metropolis ;) of Birmingham, Alabama. I was just poking fun at Frankenstein because most of our corals come from indo pacific or australia...not Florida. After living in florida for 10 years I really wouldnt trust that water unless maybe I was on key west, although even then, with all the hootenannys happening their...maybe its the water... ;)
For real though swimming down a bit to get some water in Florida for control testing isn't a bad idea.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fooled again! But if you go to Fiji test the water. Alabama isn't that far from Fiji. I mean there are things that are further, right.

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad I live close to Fiji. Guess I'll have to wait til my next trip to Florida. And to think I thought Fiji water was the bomb....
jk...great idea...In august I will be in Florida for my 1 year anniversary beach trip. I think Ill pick some up. The wifey will probably roll her eyes and mutter 'its always about the fish tank'
Fiji Japan is very polluted

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back