Do you need to physically remove your algae for nutrient export?

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the most n00b question I've ever had to ask after being in this hobby off and on for almost 20 years but now I'm second guessing myself....

I always thought that your macro algae (chaeto, in most cases) consumes your nitrate and phosphate.

Now I'm questioning if the nitrate and phosphate simply get bound to it (converted, absorbed, whatever) so you need to physically remove growth to get the NO3 and PO4 out of the tank to lower levels.

Which one is it?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there!

Macroalgae, including Chaeto, can be a beneficial addition as it can help in nutrient export by consuming nitrates and phosphates. However, whether you need to remove it on a regular basis depends on various factors such as the size of your aquarium, the amount of nutrients produced, and the growth rate of the chaeto.

In smaller aquariums or systems with high nutrient input, chaeto might need more frequent harvesting to prevent it from becoming overgrown and potentially releasing nutrients back into the water when it dies off. In larger systems with lower nutrient levels, chaeto may grow more slowly and require less frequent harvesting.

Regular monitoring of your nitrates and phosphates, as well as observing the growth rate of the chaeto, can help you determine the frequency of harvesting needed. If you notice a significant increase in nutrient levels or if the chaeto is growing excessively, it's probably time to harvest and remove some of it.

~TJ

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back