Do you quarantine fish after purchasing from online quarantine vendors?

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious to see what people do if they're buying (spending premium) on already quarantined fish. I know there are a few online options out there that sell quarantined fish at a premium and all you have to do realistically is acclimate them to your tank and put them in.

I am wondering, because I just placed my first order on TSM today (some preordered fish) they had and was wondering if I should QT them for a week or so or if I could really just acclimate and put in my DT. I do QT all my fish, corals, and inverts but getting tired of it and all the tanks so I read a lot about vendors who do it online, so I wanted to give TSM a try (heard awesome things).

Thanks!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, yes.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy quarantined fish at this point. I have a small observation tank that I maintain where I always start them. My AWC dumps water from display tank to observation tank, so parameters are almost identical. I'll usually observe the fish for a week or two before adding them to the display tank. I do not put the fish through QT.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy quarantined fish at this point. I have a small observation tank that I maintain where I always start them. My AWC dumps water from display tank to observation tank, so parameters are almost identical. I'll usually observe the fish for a week or two before adding them to the display tank. I do not put the fish through QT.
That’s a good idea of AWC, never thought to do that. Might have to take that idea haha.

Where do you buy your QT fish from?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would. QT gives a nice place for fish to relax after shipping and eat. Also there is never any guarantee. I place them in a 25g that has live rock/pods/corals though... it's just a smaller DT they can relax in for awhile and observe. I would not put pre QT fish from places like Dr Reef and TSM through copper although I would probably peroxide dip them before they hit the QT.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would. QT gives a nice place for fish to relax after shipping and eat. Also there is never any guarantee. I place them in a 25g that has live rock/pods/corals though... it's just a smaller DT they can relax in for awhile and observe. I would not put pre QT fish from places like Dr Reef and TSM through copper although I would probably peroxide dip them before they hit the QT.
Okay, cool. So not full blown QT just more of an observation tank that almost mimics your DT. Good to know.
Thanks!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said previously I just ordered 3 Trish from TSM for the first time (won’t be ready until February) but have high hopes. How do you like the quarantined fish one?
Quality has been mostly fine. One DOA, one too skinny (and not really gaining weight) and the rest have been great.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? If you don’t mind me asking?
If you’re paying someone to do it all for you why be repetitive and expose them to meds or copper a second time?

Unless you just monitor in QT

QT is not defined by whether one administers meds or not .... it is simply about isolating animals from the display. As a matter of routine, I observe all new fish in my QT system .... regardless of the source. I only use meds if disease symptoms present.

I've also made the point countless times that isolating a new fish in QT is not just about disease, it’s also about getting the animal eating and/or to a healthy body weight.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably just do an observation period like already mentioned. Allow the fish to settle down after shipping before going into the big bad DT.
But I'm all geared up for doing my own QT so it's less attractive to pay the premium up front.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what TSM's quarantine process is?
Read this. Seems to be what I’d do in my own system.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably just do an observation period like already mentioned. Allow the fish to settle down after shipping before going into the big bad DT.
But I'm all geared up for doing my own QT so it's less attractive to pay the premium up front.
Ya I will still do observation, but honestly I have 2 QT tanks up now. One has a tang in it the other has some inverts. I’m just sick of monitoring so many tanks and testing daily when using meds and all that. I know that’s what you get with QT for parasites but idk haha I’m kinda over it.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is not defined by whether one administers meds or not .... it is simply about isolating animals from the display. As a matter of routine, I observe all new fish in my QT system .... regardless of the source. I only use meds if disease symptoms present.

I've also made the point countless times that isolating a new fish in QT is not just about disease, it’s also about getting the animal eating and/or to a healthy body weight.

This! I like having them in a smaller place where I can make sure they are eating, getting somewhat comfortable and getting used to human interaction

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back