Do you think you have enough reefing knowledge to be a mentor on any level?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with the title question:

Do you think (yes)​

you have enough reefing knowledge (could always use more, generally)​

to be a mentor on any level?​

I don't know everything so I can't help GOD fix his reefs, so at least one 'level' is out, so I can't be a mentor on all levels.

Ditto for Chemistry. RHF knows just slightly more than me on that 'level', so there are at least two levels that I can't operate on as a mentor. Someone else is better at that than me.

Following this cascade logically, I think that I can be a mentor for how to think about a reef tank but there are other people who can function as a mentor better than me at all levels so I will let them do the mentoring that God created them to handle and I will just make these kinds of comments when they support a reasonable conclusion.

No one needs a mentor at the bottom level, we can all do that without a mentor.

Mentor "at" or "too" some level, but again it's hard to know who knows what about a subject and often being in the basement is the safest place to operate.

From my basement bunker beneath the riots of humans seeking to establish world peace without an understanding of why their piece is missing and beleive that they can declare they have a piece of peace and they will have it because they did declare it.

shakespeare psychedelic art GIF by Grande Dame
I try to help out when I thnk I can. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:
Couldn't have said it better myself!!

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15 years ago, MAYBE intermediate. Now? Oh Lord no. I am constantly reading and re-reading to gain some sort of understanding as to what reefing is like now. And re-learning that which I have lost. I used to know a lot about lighting for example. Now? I'm stuck with a decision on whether to buy new bulbs for my TEK 8X54W system (REALLY cool back then) or bite the bullet and go LEDs (after I read 500 articles on the subject, lol). Talk to me in 5 years. Or not! Cause things will have changed again!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15 years ago, MAYBE intermediate. Now? Oh Lord no. I am constantly reading and re-reading to gain some sort of understanding as to what reefing is like now. And re-learning that which I have lost. I used to know a lot about lighting for example. Now? I'm stuck with a decision on whether to buy new bulbs for my TEK 8X54W system (REALLY cool back then) or bite the bullet and go LEDs (after I read 500 articles on the subject, lol). Talk to me in 5 years. Or not! Cause things will have changed again!
I was the same way when I got back in. But really there are only a couple things that have actually changed, Lighting for sure, Some upgrades to filtration but you dont have to use them ( I am looking at you rollers), skimmers seem more efficient. LEDs were just starting to get used when I got out so I had a bit of catching up to do on those ( Working part time at an lfs during this time in the fw department gave me some insight before hand). Some of the things I read here scared me into thinking this is going to be so different, cycling stuff, dry rock issues you name it. Cycling a tank it still the same may be easier, fish qt and husbandry same, corals still need light and still basically need more or less depending on type, flow yeah there are new ways to get it but really if you know, how different is it really? Cycle tank, qt fish, add fish to tank, feed fish, add corals, turn on lights, check parameters, do maintenance, enjoy.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you feel like your skills are good enough that you could actually mentor someone new to the hobby or someone looking to learn more advanced techniques!

Could you be a mentor?

What level would best fit you mentorship skills? Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced?

FYI we're not asking people to be mentors, I am just wondering at this time!

1714065664578.png
I would say most likely I can help with gear choices, stocking, and beginning new tanks. Personally I think I could go for intermediate. But I could use some mentoring on algae control lol. I would love to be a mentor! I feel confident in all areas possibly except fish illness and some parts of chemistry but not all.
@revhtree

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have enough engineering knowledge but lack the communication skills and patience to mentor.
Thats a huge part that I dont think anyone has touched on. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not be able to communicate it or have the patience too either. That is a great point!

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same way when I got back in. But really there are only a couple things that have actually changed, Lighting for sure, Some upgrades to filtration but you dont have to use them ( I am looking at you rollers), skimmers seem more efficient. LEDs were just starting to get used when I got out so I had a bit of catching up to do on those ( Working part time at an lfs during this time in the fw department gave me some insight before hand). Some of the things I read here scared me into thinking this is going to be so different, cycling stuff, dry rock issues you name it. Cycling a tank it still the same may be easier, fish qt and husbandry same, corals still need light and still basically need more or less depending on type, flow yeah there are new ways to get it but really if you know, how different is it really? Cycle tank, qt fish, add fish to tank, feed fish, add corals, turn on lights, check parameters, do maintenance, enjoy.
I suppose you're right. I just have to jog my decaying memory. What I lack, predominately, is confidence. When my 90 crashed and burned it got to me far, far too much. Basically, I felt sorry for myself and quit. So there! I really told myself off didn't I, lol?!
Thats a huge part that I dont think anyone has touched on. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not be able to communicate it or have the patience too either. That is a great point!
Absolutely one of the great truths in life. I've known a few of pharmacists that were all brains and no communication skills. In the lovely land of retail pharmacy, that ain't good. For the RPh AND, most importantly, the patient.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 tanks in the last 4 years and did a complete restart once. So, I have started from scratch 3x in the last 4 years. I would consider myself a champ in dealing with Dino’s, Cyano, and Dino’s, diatoms and finally hair algae.

My advice? Leave it alone for a year. Everything is just a band aid. It has to mature on its own.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s what’s so intriguing to many people in the hobby. It’s come so far in the last 10-15 years that you really have an old style vs a new style going on now. Neither are wrong but both are very different.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yes. Although my approach to the hobby is likely considered outdated. I try to keep things as simple as possible and have been successful growing pretty much anything short of NPS over the years.

However, I couldn't tell you the first thing about setting up a fleece roller or how to program an apex.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can mentor anyone on how to grow algae or kill SPS if anyone is in need.
But seriously I got my first salt water tank in 2011 with just a few clown fish. Broke that down when I moved and started a “reef” tank in 2015. My daughter was born, new job and the tank suffered and was broken down again. Then I got back in in 2020 (pandemic reefer) after another move in 2018 and jumped in both feet. I feel the with the knowledge I have I can help a beginner at best. But I don’t think I could help them turn a glass box into a thriving reef tank without going through some issues.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 10 years of reefing. I'm pretty old school and I think we need to go back to KISS. Keep it super simple.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back