Do you think you have enough reefing knowledge to be a mentor on any level?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wondering if you feel like your skills are good enough that you could actually mentor someone new to the hobby or someone looking to learn more advanced techniques!

Could you be a mentor?

What level would best fit you mentorship skills? Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced?

FYI we're not asking people to be mentors, I am just wondering at this time!

1714065664578.png
I try where I can. Definitely not an expert but slightly above beginner!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an acro guy and I have helped a few here and would be open to mentoring 1 or 2 serious reefers.
The problem I find is people are not able to follow one persons advice long term.
Reefing is simple if you have a plan and are able to follow it without trying to add things to the mentors way.
Hit me up with a pm if you are serious in having a reef that can look like this. I can do 1 or 2 serious people if anyone is really interested.
My old 120 for reference.
20220106_131923.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, I can be a mentor. The only caveat would be I need to mentor a person who wants to run a tank the way I do - 100% ocean rock,no sps, no qt, no dipping, no dosing, etc. I could never offer advice on the newer ways of reef keeping. I've been following my version of the Berlin method for about 20 years now with solid success.
I agree with this! I would ve able to help with the kinds of fish and tanks I have but new to corals so no go on that! Lol. Would only feel comfortable with helping with fish I own, for example my dwarf fuzzy lion, regal angel eels or marine betta that Ive had success with

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a great idea. i know i for one, would love a mentor.

In this hobby tho its a very bad move to only listen to one person.

Even old timers are being taught new things with new technology and theory crafting.

For example, old timers like to do things manually and don't trust things like Trident / Maven / Mastertronic.
While i would say those are pretty much manditory if you have a large tank and want something to messure stability.

Old timers would put their life line on Halides and kalk paste... while the new gen is LED's not enough diodes... lets just shoot lasers into the tank directly... ZAP aptasia be gone!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what I know. Doesn't guarantee I know anything. Best I keep this to myself although there are certain sections where experience has shown me that what I know I actually do know. Why I give advise where I'm comfortable, provide reference on that I'm not but aware of and let the reader go fins out and stay away from definitive answers where I'm not comfortable. Granted my experience may have led me to believe something to be true and fact might be I'm wrong and that was just my experience. I'll stay out of the mentoring game. Leave it to those that actually know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have offered guidance to lots of aspiring aquarists over the years; never thought of it as mentoring though. I certainly have the knowledge, experience and communication skills …. but do I have the patience or interest. I took the online curmudgeon test and scored a 4 (out of 5). So not sure I’d make a good mentor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back