Does anyone have experience with these Tangs?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I would like to know your opinions on these Tangs, the Scopas and the Chocolate / Mimic Tangs. I know the Mimic is an Acanthurus which many say is a difficult genus but is this one any different? How big can we expect most of them to get? FishBase says 12” and LiveAquaria says 10”.

Maybe more people will start looking at the Scopas because I fear by 2021 Hawai’i will no longer be exporting Yellows. Captive Bred ones don’t make it to my part of the world (China) very quickly. FishBase says 16” and LiveAquaria says 1’.

Actually I read a study that says the Scopas and Yellow may be the same species and that the Yellow is just a variation of the Scopas.

What size tanks would these two need long term?

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the two sailfin species, none of the many zebrasoma I have kept got much beyond 7”. Had some for many years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The sizes most list are potential and sometimes even the size in the wild.
I have a chocolate who is at times bashful and a peaceful fish. I also have :
Gem
naso
Vlamingi
6 yellows
tomini
Chevron
Hippo
got rid of dussomieri as it took too much food from others. Same with sohal
Achilles
desjardini

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of scopas. They were about the same size as my yellow tang (about 3-4 inches). I eventually had to re-home them because they teamed up against my purple tang out of the blue. Otherwise, they seemed to be very similar in temperament to my yellow and purple tangs.

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had a scopas tang in my time. The scopas tang will eat algae and meaty foods like brine, mysis, and krill. They like temperatures 74-78 degrees, they like 0.023-0.028 salinity. They are some of the hardiest tangs in my opinion. I recommend you try one.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back