Does this meeter suggest high free ammonia?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not sure what to make of this, because a couple of days ago i bought this meter and placed in the sump it was absolutely yellow . But then I wanted to test it as I saw video on that topic so I took it out and exposed it to an open bottle of glass cleaner and the meter immediately darkened. to blue or black . I'm like "oh it works" and I put it back in the sump. That was 48 hours ago and I'm not sure if it's never gone back yellow or if now i have ammonia in the tank. I'm not sure why my ammonia would go up in two days. I just water changed yesterday; but I did add a couple of small blue damsels .

IMG_5719.jpeg

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used one. I assumed they were a one and done. In other words once it changes it doesn't go back. Hopefully others will be here shortly that know for sure.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then I placed the meter in a cup of distilled water and this is what it looks like, waiting about an hour

Attachments

• IMG_5727.jpeg
    IMG_5727.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 11

Saltyreef24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, these work well until they don’t. The exposure to the glass cleaner likely damaged it and is skewing your results. Do you have an alternative way to test for ammonia?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, these work well until they don’t. The exposure to the glass cleaner likely damaged it and is skewing your results. Do you have an alternative way to test for ammonia?
i just bought another one. thankfully, my tank is |free] ammonia free. I have something far more problematic in my tank than ammonia:, blue damsels.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of test kits but this one I think is good for testing free ammonia.
Indeed. And when you add livestock they often indicate a little free ammonia for a while. They do not try and trick us by sensing the livestock by any means other than free ammonia. That said, you can always damage them or get a crappy one, lol.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%

Back