Done cycling - filter and water changes

KuyaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 weeks, my 55g and 29g tanks are done cycling. I did not use live rock/sand, but I added Microbe-lift Special Blend bacteria as instructed. I have a mix of Marineland Penguin, Aqueon, and Tetra hang on the back filters. When should I change the filter cartridges (I plan to have 1 new cartridge running on one filter in the tank, and an old cartridge in another filter)? When can I start doing water changes?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the nitrate level? Once the cycle is done, usually have higher nitrates, so usually perform a water change then go buy the first fish.

Do you have any flow in the tank, any powerheads in there for flow?

OP
OP
KuyaD

KuyaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are zero ... no extra flow other than from hang on back filters. I just found info on the Aqueon website to change filters after 30 days

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always good to have powerheads in the tank, biofiltration work with rocks and flow, water should be pushed through the rocks or else they will collect algae and gunk and detritus. The filter cartridge is not that useful, it will just hold gunk and food that will decompose and foul the water. Lots of research is required in this hobby, this will hep you get started.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back