Dosed “kalkwasser milk” and water is cleaner then ever

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my reasons to try this in an attempt to essentially make an aragonite precipitate vs calcite.
I mixed kalkwasser powder with magnesium salts in a small quality of saltwater and agitated the heck out of it then used an air stone to get as much co2 into the mix as I possibly could. Once this was done I dosed the tank with he white cloudy milk. (Attempt to recreate “purple up” ). However 4 hours later my water is crystal clear and today 24 hours later I can’t even tell water is in the tank.
What could be the reaction that removed any slight haze the water normally has?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the kalk precipitated into calcium carbonate which acted as a flocculant. Alot of reefers use calcium carbonate powder to get clear water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why anyone wants to mimic a poor product such as Purple Up, but the clearing of the water is what happens when you dose fine calcium carbonate. Some companies sell fine aragonite for this purpose and call it coral snow. It binds organics (and phosphate) to its surface, and the organics can flocculate multiple particles together that settle out.

In the original mix, in addition to insoluble calcium carbonate, the magnesium precipitated as magnesium hydroxide and possibly high magnesium calcite. The magnesium hydroxide will redissolve in the aquarium, while the calcium and magnesium carbonates won't.

Such an addition will add an unknown amount of calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity to the aquarium. Heavy on magnesium and alk, and depleted in calcium .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back