Doser Recommendations

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Jebao doser. At the start I was pretty sure the issues were user error/set up... we had some back siphoning going on that would flood things. Hoses are now out of water and the controller is lifted. Haven't had any issue for probably close to a year.. now it looked like it siphoned again but strangly only between chems - there was no flooding... I don't see how that's possible as I thought all the valves were completely separate but my fuel went into my mag and reef A compartments and my fuel compartment was left full but clear... needless to say I don't want to waste more chemicals and I no longer trust the one we have... I'm curious what doser y'all recommend most?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the BRS 1.1mL/minute dosing pumps. They are extremely accurate and built to last. One cons is that they need a controller or timer.

I don’t recommend the Kamoer dosing pumps. They randomly decide to stop here and there until I reset it. I wouldn’t buy another.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's no way for one to cross contaminate another. Each tube is completely disconnected from the others. It has one continuous tubing from the suction point to the discharge point so that had to be user error - someone accidentally put the wrong one in the wrong compartment.

Simplicity is another brand that's supposed to be good. GHL has another I believe. There's lots of brands out there to choose from, just depends on what you want to spend.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other possibility is that the seam between the two chambers is leaking.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the BRS 1.1mL/minute dosing pumps. They are extremely accurate and built to last. One cons is that they need a controller or timer.

I don’t recommend the Kamoer dosing pumps. They randomly decide to stop here and there until I reset it. I wouldn’t buy another.
Thank you! Appreciate the input!!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef , you just got the Simplicity, how do you like it so far?
I'm very bad. I haven't installed it yet because been too busy at the office. Barely have time for the bubble algae! Since my doser is in a fridge, I have to dig out the silicone to replace tubes and electrical cables and then re-run the lines to install the simplicity--also need to get a new 4-way T-barb. Lots of excuses, but I need to get it running ASAP!

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I highly recommend Liter Meter. It’s “old” tech but they are very well made and reliable for YEARS. I have several including one that’s ~15 years old and still works properly; just have to replace a little bit of tubing every few years.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way for one to cross contaminate another. Each tube is completely disconnected from the others. It has one continuous tubing from the suction point to the discharge point so that had to be user error - someone accidentally put the wrong one in the wrong compartment.

Simplicity is another brand that's supposed to be good. GHL has another I believe. There's lots of brands out there to choose from, just depends on what you want to spend.
in theory I 100% agree... but as there was no flooding and the tubes are above water level I don't know what else to think for how the fuel got into the other 2... even if there was an unexpected rise it water level it skipped one.. looks like it went from compartment 4 to 1 and 2 while leaving 3 alone. I am completely baffled on the how. We were out of backup bottles so nothing new was poured in accidentally.

Really just wanting to have a good idea of the good brands - I'd rather do it right and have it last than randomly guess again. Appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend Liter Meter. It’s “old” tech but they are very well made and reliable for YEARS. I have several including one that’s ~15 years old and still works properly; just have to replace a little bit of tubing every few years.
Thanks! Will definitely look at - that's a great lifespan!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
in theory I 100% agree... but as there was no flooding and the tubes are above water level I don't know what else to think for how the fuel got into the other 2... even if there was an unexpected rise it water level it skipped one.. looks like it went from compartment 4 to 1 and 2 while leaving 3 alone. I am completely baffled on the how. We were out of backup bottles so nothing new was poured in accidentally.

Really just wanting to have a good idea of the good brands - I'd rather do it right and have it last than randomly guess again. Appreciate the feedback!
Jebao is decent but they have been known to fail. @Mschmidt had his fail twice in a day.

I've heard good things about Simplicity and GHL. Never used either. I use the Jebao 4 head and I'm pretty sure it frequently doses more than what it's set at but my levels are staying where I want them - just going through liquid faster than I feel it should be.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jebao DP-4 has run flawlessly for 6 years now.
The lines are separate, no possibility of mixing.
I have three of them, 2 in use.
IMG_1675.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Spectrapure liter meters also for many years (20 plus). Expensive, low tech, but very reliable. I use them for ATO, 2 part dosing, and AWC. I replace tubing on a schedule I created (every 3-8 years depending on usage) but that’s it.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Spectrapure liter meters also for many years (20 plus). Expensive, low tech, but very reliable. I use them for ATO, 2 part dosing, and AWC. I replace tubing on a schedule I created (every 3-8 years depending on usage) but that’s it.
Appreciate the info!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back