Dosing confusion

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, count me as one of the many people who don't get it.

My current levels are:
dKH: 7.8
Ca: 420
Mg: 1460

I can't get dKH above 8 at this point. In fact, it's declining. I'm using BRS 2 part, which is soda ash. Right now my pH is swinging from about 8.14 to 8.39. Which seems a little much. AFter adding the soda ash, it usually goes up about .15.

I dose about 11ml per day in 2 5 min increments using 1.1ml dosers for 5 minutes 25 minutes apart.

The 7.8 reading I took was from today, after my morning dose. So, presumably, it was lower than 7.8. Previous readings were between 8.0-8.2. I use a Hanna Checker.

So, it's declining.

Calculators seem to indicate 11ml's per day should be enough to get 7.8 up to 8.15.

I was hoping to get it up to 9. Giving where my pH is, I'm not sure how to do that. Calculators show I need to add 40mls to get it to 9.0. I would spread that out over several days, but I'm not sure my pH could handle it! Spread out the doses more?

And maybe I shouldn't even be worrying about it. I was hoping to elevate my LPS growth.

My LPSs grow at a incredibly slow pace. For example, my trumpet coral has 6 heads. It's had 6 heads for about 6 months now. about 2 look like they are finally trying to split. Maybe this is normal? My acans don't seem to be getting much bigger. Maybe an extra few heads over the last 9 months, that's about it.

On the flip side, my monti, which I've only had since mid Dec, has a fair amount of discernable growth.

Anyway, looking for any thoughts or suggestions on how you all manage this stuff.

Thx in advance!
Jay

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a too much flow issue. The KH should be fine for Duncans. LPS grow more slowly.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, count me as one of the many people who don't get it.

My current levels are:
dKH: 7.8
Ca: 420
Mg: 1460

I can't get dKH above 8 at this point. In fact, it's declining. I'm using BRS 2 part, which is soda ash. Right now my pH is swinging from about 8.14 to 8.39. Which seems a little much. AFter adding the soda ash, it usually goes up about .15.

I dose about 11ml per day in 2 5 min increments using 1.1ml dosers for 5 minutes 25 minutes apart.

The 7.8 reading I took was from today, after my morning dose. So, presumably, it was lower than 7.8. Previous readings were between 8.0-8.2. I use a Hanna Checker.

So, it's declining.

Calculators seem to indicate 11ml's per day should be enough to get 7.8 up to 8.15.

I was hoping to get it up to 9. Giving where my pH is, I'm not sure how to do that. Calculators show I need to add 40mls to get it to 9.0. I would spread that out over several days, but I'm not sure my pH could handle it! Spread out the doses more?

And maybe I shouldn't even be worrying about it. I was hoping to elevate my LPS growth.

My LPSs grow at a incredibly slow pace. For example, my trumpet coral has 6 heads. It's had 6 heads for about 6 months now. about 2 look like they are finally trying to split. Maybe this is normal? My acans don't seem to be getting much bigger. Maybe an extra few heads over the last 9 months, that's about it.

On the flip side, my monti, which I've only had since mid Dec, has a fair amount of discernable growth.

Anyway, looking for any thoughts or suggestions on how you all manage this stuff.

Thx in advance!
Jay
What is your daily alk consumption without dosing?

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your daily alk consumption without dosing?
Well, I've been testing twice a week, and it's been a slow decline. So, I would say I'd my dose is good enough to add about .3 dKH, I'm guessing the usage is slightly more than that. I'd guess around .1. I'd have to take daily measurements to get more precise.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been testing twice a week, and it's been a slow decline. So, I would say I'd my dose is good enough to add about .3 dKH, I'm guessing the usage is slightly more than that. I'd guess around .1. I'd have to take daily measurements to get more precise.
I would highly recommend taking daily measurements without dosing.

I'm guessing this calculator was for a bulk add. If your tank is consuming .35dKH per day then adding 11ml per day would only keep you at 7.8dKH. Anything in addition to this would start raising your Alk to higher levels. This is why knowing your daily consumption is critical information for dosing.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a too much flow issue. The KH should be fine for Duncans. LPS grow more slowly.
My flow is probably about 1000g/hr in a 55g tank.

I have two variable power head, both set at low power. One pulses every 5 seconds.

Generally speaking, they all seem fat and happy.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend taking daily measurements without dosing.

I'm guessing this calculator was for a bulk add. If your tank is consuming .35dKH per day then adding 11ml per day would only keep you at 7.8dKH. Anything in addition to this would start raising your Alk to higher levels. This is why knowing your daily consumption is critical information for dosing.
Right, which is why I think it's slightly higher than that. [emoji4]

The decline has been since a peak of 8.3 on 12/7 to 7.8 today. With 8.2 and 8.0 readings I'm between.

Hence I think k it's around .4 per day.

I don't dose a ton of calcium because they don't seem to be absorbing that much Ca, which is also adding to my confusion.

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dKH is declining it means you have growth.
Calculator is good for starting dose and from this point you have to adjust dosing to your system.
Are you dosing any trace elements? Water changes?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, which is why I think it's slightly higher than that. [emoji4]

The decline has been since a peak of 8.3 on 12/7 to 7.8 today. With 8.2 and 8.0 readings I'm between.

Hence I think k it's around .4 per day.

I don't dose a ton of calcium because they don't seem to be absorbing that much Ca, which is also adding to my confusion.
Ok, I'm with you now. That sounds about right.

Corals always use Alk and Calk in an even ratio so if they aren't tracking together you have something else going on. Typically this seems to only happen in younger tanks.

Personally, I would dose enough alk to get where you want to be and not be overly concerned with pH. Keep in mind that the pH is a logarithmic scale so the higher pH gets, the more alk it takes to keep increasing pH.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dKH is declining it means you have growth.
Calculator is good for starting dose and from this point you have to adjust dosing to your system.
Are you dosing any trace elements? Water changes?
20% water changes once a month using reef crystals. No other additives.

My other tests show no detectable phosphates, tho I believe there is a tiny amount, since I do get a small amount of algae.

Nitrates... The only measurements I've had over 0 were 2ppm twice in 12 month span. Last reading was back down to 0.

I keep the tank between 76.5 and 77.5 degrees with salinity at 1.026.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm with you now. That sounds about right.

Corals always use Alk and Calk in an even ratio so if they aren't tracking together you have something else going on. Typically this seems to only happen in younger tanks.

Personally, I would dose enough alk to get where you want to be and not be overly concerned with pH. Keep in mind that the pH is a logarithmic scale so the higher pH gets, the more alk it takes to keep increasing pH.
I wasn't aware it was a logarithmic relationship. That makes me feel better. :)

Sounds like I just need to get a better handle on it. Including CA consumption. Right now I dose about 22mls per day, which, again from calculators, is only a consumption rate of 5ppm. I'm less clear on the daily rate of consumption on Ca.

I feel like once the holidays are over I can focus more on it!!

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep NO3 around 2-5 ppm. Probably your corals need more nutrition.
20% monthly water change is not going to replenish trace elements.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep NO3 around 2-5 ppm. Probably your corals need more nutrition.
I've heard that. Right now my tank is lying fallow for the two months, so ghost feeding daily. Sometimes twice a day. Mostly because I don't want my shrimp picking at the corals, but figure that might help with NO3.

I have iodide, but I don't currently dose it as I don't have a test kit at the moment.

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Red Sea coral color ABCD or Aquaforest component. Start with half of recommended dose and see how corals react.
Second option is weekly water changes. If you don't have a lot large corals it should be enough to replenish trace elements

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Calcium appears to be up from 420 to 450 over the last 6 days. Which, based on the 20ml consumption rate of 5 per day... seems to imply my tank is consuming ZERO calcium. That doesn't sound right to me, but hence my confusion...

On another note, despite my whining about growth, I just noticed an acan I bought at the fragfest at $50 for a single head, now has two baby heads. I'll stop whining now!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back