Dosing containers

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for cheap Dosing containers? I saw someone suggest using voss glass water bottles to hold there calcium and alkalinity solutions. Could you potentially use plastic water bottle? Is there any risk using a cheap water bottle?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one tank I have 1500 ml glass ball jars. Canning jars. I bought the plastic lids.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Could you potentially use plastic water bottle? Is there any risk using a cheap water bottle?" None that I know of but, they do become brittle over time. I prefer and use HDPE plastic saline rinse bottles. Wife can get them empty from the hospital. They work great for me. So, milk bottles are HDPE...

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these with a 1/4" push fit bulkhead...

Screenshot_20181004-193914_Chrome.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the bulkheads I use, something like these anyways...

20181004_194231.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Ok so I can see there isn’t really much limitations. Thanks for the great responses guys!

You are very correct. Dollar store has a lot of options. Voss water bottles, 800 Ml if you can find them, are great. The video above is nice. I've made a pair of containers using the Voss bottles has well but sometimes they can be hard to find. Because they are glass I use those for NoPox when I was dosing it. I have Neptunes dosing containers for the rest. But yes - hit up the dollar store, amazon, or whatever and have at it.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these cheap walmart 1 gal containers.
Buy the bulkhead mentioned above. Buy BRS acrylic rod (for dosing containers) it's sturdy and stays in place. (Like an acrylic straw)
Never had any issues.
20170410_174440.jpg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use small rubbermaid containers with lids. drill holes in the tops, push the lines through and for $15 you have tidy dosing containers.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 1 gallon jugs the ESV B-Ionic comes in. Drilled a hole in the cap and the tubing fits tight. I just keep moving the cap to the next new jug. Same if you're using BRS 2-part.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for cheap Dosing containers? I saw someone suggest using voss glass water bottles to hold there calcium and alkalinity solutions. Could you potentially use plastic water bottle? Is there any risk using a cheap water bottle?

You can use plastic but it has to be the right kind, high density polyethylene or HDPE. I'm sure there are other plastics you can use but dont use like soft plastic water/soda bottles or anything like that.

Check out uline.com they have a ton of containers of all different shapes and sizes. BRS sells space saver/slim 4L dosing containers as well (can also get em from uline)

I use ulines 2.5g plastic f style jug to dose kalk, Brs 4L space saver/thin for my alkatronic carbonate reservoir, 2 L airtight oxo food storage containers for my triton 4 part, and a voss 1l glass bottle for acropower. They all work great.

If you want to get really cheap go buy 1 gallon plastic white vinegar bottles from the grocery store and use those (after thorough rinsing and drying ofcourse)

For all of them I use BRS 1/4" ro bulkhead adapters and either clear acrylic tubing or RO tubing for the down stem. BRS has a video on making your own dosing containers.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back