Dosing Kalkwasser with tunze ATO

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the solution is that cloudy, in my small bit of experience it leaves a white film on everything. May just be coated on the walls of your reservoir.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the solution is that cloudy, in my small bit of experience it leaves a white film on everything. May just be coated on the walls of your reservoir.

I was just about to mention that. I usually scrape a little free with my finger when I rinse the container out so I can see what's going on.

OP
OP
VTek

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight y'all. I decided to plug in the controller and see what happens. I figured since I only used 1/2 tsp per gallon that I shouldn't be too worried about it!

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you're fine with 1/2 tsp per gallon. One thing about the Tunze ATO that I have found, and is just personal to me, is that if I dose the alk into the same part of the sump as the Tunze optical sensor that it throws it off somehow, don't know how, but it won't run occasionally unless I clean off the outside with a clean cloth. Tunze mentions that somewhere, unsure if it's in the instruction manual or online, but something to think about. If you keep your ATO sensor in the same compartment as your return pump like almost everyone else :D, maybe think about putting the line from your ATO container somewhere else. My experience only, not a common thing I don't think...

Tyler mikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty positive some kalk just ruined my tunze ATO (pump ofcourse), I only waited a few hours for kalk to setttle, a tablespoon in 5 gallons, because I needed a High PH slurry, unfortunately there must have been some chuncks at the bottom of my 5 gal container, and now the little propeller has trouble speeding up, therefore no water pressure. I soaked the pump head in RO water and then some vinegar to try to disslodge any kalk buildup in the pump, but it seems it caused permanent damage, prop just won't spin correctly. I guess I'm the only moron this has happened to. Thanks Kalk!

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread after 2 years. Guess im late to the Kalk game. Question. If I use a 10 gallon jug for top off how often do I replace Kalk in the TUNZE dispensar. Is it a new batch every time the ato jug runs empty?.. in other words fresh Kalk at the 1 teaspoon per gallon rule every time.

Chris Perkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I utilize two little fishies kalk reactor tied into tunze ATO.
I like the fact the kalk is not in same container as the pump.
Really does a nice job for such a simple stirrer.
I'm thinking of getting a Tunze and TLF stirrer but someone said the Tunze pump isn't strong enough. Is that not true? I hope not cause i was just about ready to buy it. Thanks!!

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran kalk through a Tunze ATO for a couple years; it was plenty strong, but they do wear out fast (I was replacing the pumps every 12-18 months); I'm going on 3+ years now of the same Tunze ato pump after I quit using kalk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back