Dosing Kalkwasser with tunze ATO

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just got ATO for Christmas and have interest in dosing Kalk with it and getting away from 2 part dosing.

As kalk dosing instructions are somewhat simple I have a quick question. I'm starting low with Kalk as I measured 1/2 tsp per gallon RODI. I mixed this slurry lightly last night and waiting for it to clear up. This is what it looks like almost 24hrs after initial mix.

IMG_1484599009.981551.jpg

It has cleared up a bit but I still would claim this as a 'clear' solution. So my question is: is this safe to turn on and put in the system?

I know that I will have to find a way that the precipitate at bottom of the reservoir does not get sucked up by the pump and put in the system.

OP
OP
VTek

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that after a remix? Or initial mixing?

Initial mixing. I mixed it while adding Kalk. After about 6 hours of letting it settle in a different container, I transferred it to [this] my ATO reservoir. It sat in this reservoir for at least 12 hours over night and this is what it looked in the morning still.

OP
OP
VTek

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that when my Tunze ATO stops pumping all the water in the line rushes back to the res. That same thing might be causing the Kalk in the bottom of your res to stir back into the RODI water making it constantly cloudy. My two cents...

I will definitely keep that in mind. I had unplugged my ATO until the solution clears up, however, the tunze has not been on since the Kalk has been in this reservoir.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would recommend doing since your using a tune ato is to mix the Kalk in a different container and after it settles then pour the solution into your ato container so you won't have to worry about the slurry getting sucked up by the pump

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I utilize two little fishies kalk reactor tied into tunze ATO.
I like the fact the kalk is not in same container as the pump.
Really does a nice job for such a simple stirrer.

OP
OP
VTek

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would recommend doing since your using a tune ato is to mix the Kalk in a different container and after it settles then pour the solution into your ato container so you won't have to worry about the slurry getting sucked up by the pump

That's what I did. I let it settle in my original mixing container (which wasn't clear) for about 6 hours. It had the layer on the surface as I have read from several articles that it should if it not aerated (which we don't want aerated, correct?). I then siphoned it to my reservoir where it had sat over night. The picture is what it looked like this morning.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I utilize two little fishies kalk reactor tied into tunze ATO.
I like the fact the kalk is not in same container as the pump.
Really does a nice job for such a simple stirrer.

Same here, I ran a Geo's Reef Kalk stirrer on my frag tank

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that when my Tunze ATO stops pumping all the water in the line rushes back to the res. That same thing might be causing the Kalk in the bottom of your res to stir back into the RODI water making it constantly cloudy. My two cents...
On that thought:
I'd raise the Tunze pump up a little more higher so the back flow wouldn't stir up the slurry :)

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say something may be awry. Mix up a second batch and let it settle again and see if it's still the issue. I use Kent kalk now and it stats cloudy for a while before it finally settles.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say something may be awry. Mix up a second batch and let it settle again and see if it's still the issue. I use Kent kalk now and it stats cloudy for a while before it finally settles.
+1

It's not right to be cloudy like that.

Kalk is great but it has to be done right so you don't get parameter swings.

Two Little Fishies kalkwasser always clears up too.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used that a long time ago. It was great then, so I'm sure it's good now.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine Vtek. I have used the same Tunze ATO with kalk for two years, even with the slurry, and have noticed no ill effects, even with SPS dominant. Tunze ATO's don't put in a liter of water at a time, only a little, and I dose it into an area of my sump that dilutes it even more. No worries I promise, just turn it on and enjoy not having to carry a bucket or two part dose. :cool:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back