Dosing Rubidium

Have you dose Rubidium? If - for how long period and what are your subjective experiences of it?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 116 76.3%
  • If yes - less than a year

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • if yes - more than a year

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I got good results

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I got no results

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I got bad results

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I do not know yet - too short time

Votes: 18 11.8%

• Total voters

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not any before - after pictures but here is some pictures of corals that I feel have get more vibrant colours last month

polyps2.jpg

corals-3.jpg

corals2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
I find it interesting that there have been very few subjective reports on the effects of RB as per your original message.
As I intend to start dosing some trace elements, including RB, after my ATI ICP results come back.
Hopefully I'll be able to provide some feedback next month.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i have start to dose 5 µg a day to my 300 liters aquarium. I have purchase tests for rubidium and will send in one test later on in July.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Late July I send in a test to the only Lab in Europe that analyse Rubidium. The result coming back was 0,19 ppm - I have stopped the dosing of rubidium for the moment.

Some conclusions

The eating reflexes I noted from some of my LP:s is still there. Coloration is rather good. My mushrooms going rather well. The very clear water is there - but if it is caused by the rubidium - I do not know.

Is it a wonder trick? - probably not
Is it a fine adjustment tool - maybe
Is it useful tool - maybe not - maybe
Is it "needed" in normal aquariums - maybe not - maybe

Sincerely Lasse

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I've been dosing Rubidium daily since July 9th, as well as the entire Moonshiners program.
During the time frame I have noticed a growth spurt in my Elegance Coral.
A Hammer Coral which I fragged about 5 weeks ago has already grown back to its original size.
Not much change in my Torches or Acan Lordhowensis but my Acan Echinata which I've had for 4 years and showed little growth has had a very noticeable growth spurt.
While I can safely see this is a result of the Reef Moonshiners program I can't say with certainty that it is due specifically to the Rubidium.
BTW tested for Rubidium several weeks ago and it was 0.03.
I should also point that I have not, as of yet, seen any changes in my SPS

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I've been dosing Rubidium daily since July 9th, as well as the entire Moonshiners program.
During the time frame I have noticed a growth spurt in my Elegance Coral.
A Hammer Coral which I fragged about 5 weeks ago has already grown back to its original size.
Not much change in my Torches or Acan Lordhowensis but my Acan Echinata which I've had for 4 years and showed little growth has had a very noticeable growth spurt.
While I can safely see this is a result of the Reef Moonshiners program I can't say with certainty that it is due specifically to the Rubidium.
BTW tested for Rubidium several weeks ago and it was 0.03.
I should also point that I have not, as of yet, seen any changes in my SPS
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
How large is the tank system and overall setup in terms of filtration and nutirent control?

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
How large is the tank system and overall setup in terms of filtration and nutirent control?
Hi Andre
FTW I've been communicating with you on Facebook.
My tank is 38 gallon with HOB refugium and protein skimmer.
I switched to a 38 when my 30 gallon sprung a leak. Essentially the same system including the DSB of 4". I would estimate it's been going for over 9 years.
Always low in NO3 (as per current ATI 1PPM).
For PO4 export, for years I've used Rowaphos in a TLF reactor. It kept PO4 @ ~0.04.
Currently, though, I eliminated the reactor and am using Tropic Marin Elimi NP.
Still under evaluation.
Oh and by the way I forgot to mention in the previous post about my Goniopora Stutchburyi. This coral had been severely retracted for some time. It has steadily improved to the point that it now exhibits a fluffiness it hasn't had in years.
For this I can certainly say it was due to the dosing of iodine.
I know this because I began dosing it due to it being very low as per ICP and I started seeing the improvement before I began dosing the rest of the Moonshiner program.
Unfortunately, I have not seen similar improvement in my other Goni
@David S - Have you seen any feeding responses from your LPS?

Sincerely Lasse
In short no.
As far as my Euphylia and Cataphylia go, to my perhaps uneducated eye, I never see a "feeding" response per se.
Their polyps and flesh are fully extended and fluffy during the day and shrink up at night.
My Scolies are fluffy during the day and shortly after lights out they exhibit a strong feeding response.
While my Dendro has polyps extended throughout the night and off and on during the day.
This is pretty much the way it's been before the addition of elements and to the present.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andre
FTW I've been communicating with you on Facebook.
My tank is 38 gallon with HOB refugium and protein skimmer.
I switched to a 38 when my 30 gallon sprung a leak. Essentially the same system including the DSB of 4". I would estimate it's been going for over 9 years.
Always low in NO3 (as per current ATI 1PPM).
For PO4 export, for years I've used Rowaphos in a TLF reactor. It kept PO4 @ ~0.04.
Currently, though, I eliminated the reactor and am using Tropic Marin Elimi NP.
Still under evaluation.
Oh and by the way I forgot to mention in the previous post about my Goniopora Stutchburyi. This coral had been severely retracted for some time. It has steadily improved to the point that it now exhibits a fluffiness it hasn't had in years.
For this I can certainly say it was due to the dosing of iodine.
I know this because I began dosing it due to it being very low as per ICP and I started seeing the improvement before I began dosing the rest of the Moonshiner program.
Unfortunately, I have not seen similar improvement in my other Goni

In short no.
As far as my Euphylia and Cataphylia go, to my perhaps uneducated eye, I never see a "feeding" response per se.
Their polyps and flesh are fully extended and fluffy during the day and shrink up at night.
My Scolies are fluffy during the day and shortly after lights out they exhibit a strong feeding response.
While my Dendro has polyps extended throughout the night and off and on during the day.
This is pretty much the way it's been before the addition of elements and to the present.
Now I recall our conversations on FB. Hard to recognize the people with their different names here on R2R :)
Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short no.

Thank you.

I did stop my Rudium dosing but started again 3 weeks ago. The reason why I stopped was a higher concentration that I wanted - the reason why I started again was that I did not see as heavy feeding response as before among my LPS. The days after it comes back but I do not think it is because of the Rubidium dosing - I think it is in "things happens" category.

But I will follow it closer

Sincerely Lasse

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two people I don't question much in this hobby. Randy Farley and PSXerholic. :D

I've seen PSXerholic's tank first hand. It's a stunning masterpiece.
Then where do you side when they disagree with each other?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then where do you side when they disagree with each other?

I keep my butt out of it. :) They have helped me tremendously over the years and I have much respect for both of them.;)

We can all disagree sometimes and that’s ok.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through the thread and there is one statement about Rubidium that´s not so obvious in my aquarium. I have not seen any improvements of my mushrooms that i can link to the Rubidium dosing. They are going well but they did it before the dosing too.

Sincerely Lasse

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I did stop my Rudium dosing but started again 3 weeks ago. The reason why I stopped was a higher concentration that I wanted - the reason why I started again was that I did not see as heavy feeding response as before among my LPS. The days after it comes back but I do not think it is because of the Rubidium dosing - I think it is in "things happens" category.

But I will follow it closer

Sincerely Lasse
I continue to dose RB as part of my trace elements regimen, however I cannot attribute any positive or negative effects.
I can however say with a great deal of certainty that since I began dosing Sodium Nitrate (nitrates always very low in my tank) I saw an immediate growth spurt in most LPS.
Particularly one Goni which was on the way out.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came over this thread , I can remember that the German creator of the sangokai method did tests experiments with rubidium and he said that it made harder growth tips and an evenly hard skeleton overall on his corals.
Other point we speak a lot here about trace elements but when I see the stunning growth and colors of the guys that use the dsr methods which use as only trace Potassium, Sulfate, Boron, Iodine and Manganese and no water change, I'm asking how this can work and if we really needs the other traces elements??

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back