Dosing Trace elements and ALK spike

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

So I experienced an alk spike. My tank has been quite consistent in terms of alk, Ca and Mg. Constant automated dosing and weekly testing does the trick- Normal value is 7.1-7.5 and 440.

Las week my Ca rose to 500 and Alk to 9,9- Double checked.

The only change was that I have increased trace elements dosing (red sea reefer colors) to match the cal consumption of the tax, as recommended by the manufaturer.

I do not see a direct relationship between dosing Trace Elements and alk spike, but probably a crazy cycle or phYsiological reaction.

Let me know if youe need additional background

Thanks for any input.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

So I experienced an alk spike. My tank has been quite consistent in terms of alk, Ca and Mg. Constant automated dosing and weekly testing does the trick- Normal value is 7.1-7.5 and 440.

Las week my Ca rose to 500 and Alk to 9,9- Double checked.

The only change was that I have increased trace elements dosing (red sea reefer colors) to match the cal consumption of the tax, as recommended by the manufaturer.

I do not see a direct relationship between dosing Trace Elements and alk spike, but probably a crazy cycle or phYsiological reaction.

Let me know if youe need additional background

Thanks for any input.

Now would be a great time to send ICP to see where your parameters actually are. Would likely give you a good idea as to why the Alk spiked.

OP
OP
MexiReefer

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now would be a great time to send ICP to see where your parameters actually are. Would likely give you a good idea as to why the Alk spiked.
Could be. I started/ increased the trace elements once I received ICP results a couple of week ago.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the additions slowed calcification temporarily - couldn't that explain it?

(don't ask me to explain the underlying science behind the hypothesis -- I'm no biologist)

There are some ways one might explain a true alk rise after dosing a trace element mix if they were seriously depleted, but I think coincidence is most likely .

A sudden drop in nitrate by 50 ppm would boost the alk. Faster growth to do that seems far fetched, but perhaps not impossible.

Reducing calcification for unknown reasons, along with continued alk dosing can do it. I don’t see trace elements dosed appropriately doing that, but pH changes due to more people than usual around, windows closed, etc, could do it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back