Drink choice

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brew12, don’t know if it was intended or not, but I liked the “bitter” pun!

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment due to the history of the style. Might be interesting to you that the “rules” were changed in 2015 as to what qualifies as a sub-style of IPA. The Beer Judges Certification Program or BJCP published new style guidelines that year and created new specialty IPAs, with Belgians being one of them.

I agree that they aren’t “traditional” - but this is the new norm I guess. I fought the change for a while too, but now I’m all-in. Brewing to hit these technical differences is a challenge and is pretty fun. Then again, I’m a beer nerd!

23C22D68-AAEA-490E-A8EC-FE1830A88220.jpeg
I stopped brewing back in the late 90's but I loved it as a hobby. Gave me a new respect for what each type of beer actually was. Maybe that is why I get so frustrated that what I am used to beer names meaning no longer applies. I used to be able to walk into a bar, look at a menu, and have a very good idea of what a beer would taste like. No longer.

I did not know they made the change but it doesn't surprise me. The money side of brewing made the change years ago so they didn't have much choice.

Oh, and nice choice with the Blanton's. Very nice bourbon!

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Redfoxtang, if you’re really interested, you can brew one gallon batches on any stovetop. You’ll get about 10-11 beers a batch. My wife doesn’t drink very much beer and I like to experiment so I end up brewing like this most of the time anymore. Another bonus to this is that I can brew more styles more often and if I screw one up in the name of experimentation, it isn’t a very big loss. Check out Northern Brewer or MoreBeer for 1-gal equipment. It’s pretty cheap too. You won’t need much to get started.
Will definitely check that out. Very interested in experimenting with beer brewing thank you!

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had room to start home brewing myself.
It doesn’t really take up much room, but it certainly can if you want it to. Mine breaks down to the footprint of two boil kettles if I stack the carboys on them. You can get electric brew setups that take up even less room. I have a gas stove and brew in the kitchen. It takes about 20-30 mins to get my strike and sparge water heated, but I start the burner for the boil while I’m sparging and by the time I’m done I have about 5 mins until I hit full boil on 6 gal to cook down for a 5 gal batch. BA060B54-9F23-4AD7-8161-CFDA9C6FA233.jpeg F604A6D9-BD88-425D-A261-57D4657ED106.jpeg 6BF01020-36AF-49C9-A4DF-946F0DF0AC10.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never drank it warm, but maybe I will try it. I like it so much I will take it intravenously. :p
Hmmm....only GM used it as a mixer for my Margaritas and Cosmos when I can't find Cointreau. I'll have to try this. Plus just found a new recipe for a Manhattan that add 1/2 part GM to 2 parts each Rye and Sweet Vermouth.

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t drink anymore...... but this is the first post in this thread that has made me miss beer..... You have good taste..... and if you’re not from the middle of nowhere VT, kudos!

Thanks, Jon. Love Hill. And even though his porters/stouts don’t get the accolades his saisons/farmstead beers get(except perhaps some versions of Damon) I enjoy them immensely. I’m from Braintree, Mass. but have been living in South Florida for quite awhile now so my only option is to trade for them. Luckily i’ve met a handful of friendly Hill fans when visiting VT or even a couple that made it down here for beer events to trade with. Happy new year!

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope everyone grabs a good drink choice for the new year!! Happy New Year!!

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone grabs a good drink choice for the new year!! Happy New Year!!
Likewise. Brewed this one after thanksgiving and kegged it the other day for tonight. A spiced holiday amber. The house smelled like gingerbread when I brewed it and it tastes amazing. Happy new year, have a good beer!! image.jpg

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Likewise. Brewed this one after thanksgiving and kegged it the other day for tonight. A spiced holiday amber. The house smelled like gingerbread when I brewed it and it tastes amazing. Happy new year, have a good beer!! image.jpg
Looks amazing cheers!!

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since this is a fish forum. Cheers! Gotta say I'm liking the Two Hearted Ale!

20200101_183449.jpg 20200101_183907.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back