DRIVING FORCE: May The 4th Be With You!! (WIN a R2R Swag Pack)

What or Who has been a driving FORCE for you in this hobby? (select all that apply)

• Friends in the hobby

Votes: 192 29.2%
  • A website or forum

Votes: 234 35.6%
  • A certain tank build or thread

Votes: 94 14.3%
  • A popular online pesonality

Votes: 115 17.5%
  • A book or publication

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Reef2Reef (sorry not sorry)

Votes: 295 44.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 196 29.8%

• Total voters

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER: The Aquarium Stock Company (a.k.a. "Aquastock") in lower Manhattan - circa 1966 - thank you Lou for the really great "LFS" that introduced me to Blue Devils and Percula Clownfish.

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inspiration has absolutely been my fiancé, my young sons and the R2R community. My fiancé is just as much into the hobby as I am, so now we like to visit the country as a vacation just to go to the reefing conventions. My young twin sons LOVE our tank. They love working on it and helping out with the “chores”. This community has taught me a lot. I always do research before purchasing anything and I’ve become a better reefer because of R2R. I even found an awesome club in my area.

PoorKchoP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may the 4th.jpg

Happy May the 4th be with you day to you all!
1. What or whom has been the greatest driving FORCE for you to become a better aquarium keeper?

My husband is the driving force! His passion for this hobby has decorated our entire home with an abundance of aquatic family! What a joy to be growing little pieces of the ocean in our own home!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inspiration or driving force in this hobby is when we used to go to aquariums for vacation. I always thought "hey I can do that". Then found out I can't do that. Several years and a hiatus later, I can do that!

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ( my father) had our first marine aquarium +- 1969, myself +- 1974. So I have it from my friend. Our guide was Frank De Graaf, conservator of Artis Aquarium, and his book Handboek voor het tropisch zeeaquarium
(Frank De Graaf. Handboek voor het tropisch zeeaquarium. Tweede druk. A.J.G. Strengholt N.V. Amsterdam, 1969.) later published in English in 1973 " Marine Aquarium Guide" (Graaf, Frank de. Marine Aquarium Guide. Harrison, N.J.: Pet Library, 1973. ) It took another 15 years before this book became general practice in the US known as "The Dutch system" although it was not Frank De Graaf who was credited for "The Dutch System".
I take the opportunity to rectify this. Honor to whom credit is due.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My driving force in this hobby for the 15 years I’ve kept a saltwater aquarium has been my own fascination for all the life we keep in our aquariums. I don’t compare my success with others in the hobby. I don’t keep any difficult to keep corals. I like to keep large colony’s, no fragging to make money. I have had many setbacks and now feel that I have the knowledge to be successful, but I also know that I don’t want the hobby to become “WORK”. Recently I have become interested in mated pairs of fish beyond the common clownfish pairings. I enjoy watching my longnose hawkfish pair’s interactions, and now my flame angelfish harem’s nightly spawn!(thanks to member Orion on the forum for giving me the courage to try!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. I have loved fish since my school days in the 70s. When I got a job at a lfs at the end of the 90s I learned that marine fish were possible for the average hobbyist. I fell in love with the colors and diversity in the ocean and that 'love' has been the driving force of me always having aquariums!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ya'll, the winners have been picked!

Please join me in congratulating our winners.

Winners please contact me via PM to claim your prize.

Drum roll please

giphy.gif

Our first winner is @SCHAULJ who has used R2R and BRSTV as their driving force in the hobby. Both being great resources to keep you engaged and busy in the hobby.

Our second winner is @John Worthington whose driving force was wanting to become a marine biologist, and later on friends reef tanks as inspiration. Having friends in the hobby can definitely be a plus. You have someone to bounce ideas off of, and someone to trade corals with.

And our third winner is @suzsp8 whose driving force was also R2R and BRS. Again both are great resources to help you succeed in the hobby.

Congrats again to our winners, and please contact me as soon as possible :)

ba-awesome-colorful-fireworks-animated-gif-image-s.gif

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back