drop off / twilight tanks?

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have cool drop off/twilight tanks?
or links/pictures
been wanting to setup a lowlight drop off tank for a while now having a “creepy” theme with the oddball fish and inverts (maybe NPS corals)
but the highlight being the darkness really
love all things creepy so why not a dark tank with a huge arrow crab :)

anyways if you can point me in the right direction or give advice for this type of setup it’d be greatly appreciated!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four questions to hopefully kick things off and help get you some ideas here:

1 ) Any examples of the sorts of things you’re looking for with this tank? (I.e. specific fish/invert examples, and what kind of creepy - creepy looking critters, creatures with creepy names, Halloween-ish creatures, etc.)

2 ) How do you want to highlight the darkness aspect of the tank?

3 ) What size of tank are you working with/looking to work with?

4 ) Tropical or coldwater?

OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) creepy like red devil jawfish, arrow crab, etc
creepy in a horror movie way physically or halloween ish

2) black accent wall black tank stand/ equipment with deep purple/blue spectrum, the room itself is rather dark so the tank despite being dimly lit, will glow

3) IM abyss 20g drop off (till i can work out my proof of concept for a year or so before upgrading to a bigger one)

4)thinking tropical since gathering livestock would be much easier (and also so i don’t have to worry about getting a chiller) (although sea spiders would be cool)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons is a bit limiting fish-wise, but there are some that can work for that (~4 in the thread below would work, though one of them is a frogfish, which generally needs its own tank). There are plenty of inverts that should work as well:

OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons is a bit limiting fish-wise, but there are some that can work for that (~4 in the thread below would work, though one of them is a frogfish, which generally needs its own tank). There are plenty of inverts that should work as well:
thank you for the link
that’s a well put together list
the one thing that peaked my interest the most was skeleton shrimp. knew of them but had no clue you could keep them let alone buy them :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let alone buy them
Yeah, they're definitely tougher to find than most creatures - I know one coldwater site that offers them, one tropical site that offers them but is out of stock, and one site that has both coldwater and tropical specimens that offers them but (to my knowledge) doesn't sell to the public. You could likely special order them through a place like KP Aquatics though.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back