duel stage regulator

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's I'm looking for a place to buy a duel stage reg with no solenoid valve to hook up to a deltic Twin-Tech 1500 cal reactor.
I've checked a few places and nothing
You can buy a nice dual-stage regulator from Alan Le, or build one according to his directions. I got mine from Alan and then built another one from a surplus regulator by copying his design.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place to buy dual stage regulators imo is from beer brewers websites. Very common item for beer on tap.

Places like this. Best to use a needle valve with it for best results.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place to buy dual stage regulators imo is from beer brewers websites. Very common item for beer on tap.

Places like this. Best to use a needle valve with it for best results.

Those are dual GAUGE regulators. Not dual STAGE regulators. Number of gauges has absolutely nothing to do with number of stages. Again. Not saying you need a dual stage regulator when using a deltec reactor. Just trying to clear up misinformation.

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the dual stage reactor i use for my deltec twin 1500 reactor and it works great, SR AQUARISTIK AQUARIUM DUAL STAGE CO2 REGULATOR KIT . Aqua cave has it right now for 164.00. It does have a solenoid, i just plug it into my apex and leave it on all the time. Since i bought the trident a month ago i now use the alk measurements to turn the deltec on and off and its the best way i have used in years to keep my tank parameters stable.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not NEED a dual stage regulator. I have one dual, but have had a dozen others that have not... none have ever failed. When the bottle gets empty, that is your only issue, but this is like 24 hours and you should be paying attention long before the co2 tank gets this low.

I would be more concerned about the check valve (nothing worse than getting saltwater into your nice, new regulator) and metering valve (get a precision one) than the actual regulator.

If you really want a dual stage regulator, then look in your local classifieds in marketplace or craigslist for welding or gas suppliers selling used stuff.

I'm new to CaRX and just learned the difference between dual and single stage when I read the discrepancies between my working PSI in the 40s vs in the sub-10s as some people have mentioned. Given my is 4 x those under 10 numbers, I was afraid I'm just waiting for a Co2 tank exposition or some high pressure disaster. I think I figured this out now. The first stage initially knocks down the working PSI and the 2nd allows the finer tuning of those under the 10 working PSI. If this is correct, then it's just a matter of very fine PSI tuning. Something that I don't personally think I need as long as I can control and stabilize with the needle valve and keep a consistent pH read.

Is this the correct way of looking at it?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regulators are designed to run within a specific window of set pressures. Industrial regulators can be researched by model to tell what is the range. In my experience, a dual stage is generally needed to run reliably at set pressures below about 12 psig, but my experience with single stage is limited to one of these beverage units I bought 30 years ago for a planted tank (its still working) . Depending on your needle valve and the flow rate you need, you may or may not need such a low pressure. Single stage regulators can lose control when the bottle pressure gets low and dump the contents of the tank at a high rate (end of tank dump). I have not experienced this personally. You probably need to manage it and make sure you replace the bottle when the pressure begins to fall. You commonly see dual stage regulators recommended to avoid the end of tank dump.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back