duel stage regulator

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's I'm looking for a place to buy a duel stage reg with no solenoid valve to hook up to a deltic Twin-Tech 1500 cal reactor.
I've checked a few places and nothing

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just purchased the Twin Tech 1500 and I also got the DD Regulator as well with it if you can get that were you are

And welcome to R2R as well!

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay. there's a couple of experienced reefers that build custom swags and are very good at it, also very reasonably priced

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's I'm looking for a place to buy a duel stage reg with no solenoid valve to hook up to a deltic Twin-Tech 1500 cal reactor.
I've checked a few places and nothing

So you just need a dual stage regulator with no solenoid, right? How about the metering valve, is that necessary? Are you in the states or somewhere else? That will determine what CO2 fitting is required. Lemme know and I’ll PM you some options. EBay will be your best bet.

OP
OP
D

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just need a dual stage regulator with no solenoid, right? How about the metering valve, is that necessary? Are you in the states or somewhere else? That will determine what CO2 fitting is required. Lemme know and I’ll PM you some options. EBay will be your best bet.
the manual only states a duel state the unit has it's own solenoid valve built in and does its own monitoring you don't even require a PH probe. I'm located in canada thanks water dog

OP
OP
D

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just purchased the Twin Tech 1500 and I also got the DD Regulator as well with it if you can get that were you are

And welcome to R2R as well!
could you post the model number you bought i'm guessing if I get one with a solenoid valve i could remove it or leave it plugged in

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the manual only states a duel state the unit has it's own solenoid valve built in and does its own monitoring you don't even require a PH probe. I'm located in canada thanks water dog

PM sent with links to eBay Canada if you want to go the DIY route with a sweet dual stage regulator for your Deltec CaRx! :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dual stage regulators are not a hobby grade item. GLA (green leaf aquariums) sells one but it is horrendously Marked up. Every dual stage regulator you see in this hobby was a diy job. It’s not a terribly difficult diy job, as your deltec reactor setup out of the box will be a lot More complicated than a regulator build, but you’ll have to build it none the less. Most people source the pieces on eBay or gas shops if you have one in town. Takes a bit of research. Forgoing the Metering valve and solenoid will save you a lot of cost and labor. Expect to pay anywhere between $100-300 for a good to great regulator body with necessary attatchments for your purposes

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like a single stage regulator
I’m not ‘technically minded’ although I appreciate the difference, but it’s the one recommended by DD for their Twin Tech 1500 Calcium Reactor.

But despite that, I’m going to check with them again from what you’ve said.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with asking a manufacturer such questions is they will always recommend their product even if it isn’t the best solution. If DD offers a cheap (for them) single stage regulator, they’ll simply say “we recommend this product as it is paired for this product and blah blah”.

the issue with single vs dual stage regulators is the delivery of gas changes exponentially as tank pressure falls on a single stage regulator. On a dual stage regulator it does not. Admittedly. This isn’t much of an issue with a full saturation reactor and you can probably Be fine with the cheapest option they recommend. I just like the commercial grade quality of a SS dual stage regulator. They’ll last several decades with no service needed if they don’t incur any physical damage

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not NEED a dual stage regulator. I have one dual, but have had a dozen others that have not... none have ever failed. When the bottle gets empty, that is your only issue, but this is like 24 hours and you should be paying attention long before the co2 tank gets this low.

I would be more concerned about the check valve (nothing worse than getting saltwater into your nice, new regulator) and metering valve (get a precision one) than the actual regulator.

If you really want a dual stage regulator, then look in your local classifieds in marketplace or craigslist for welding or gas suppliers selling used stuff.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like a single stage regulator
Straight from the ‘horses mouth’ a reply from one of the ‘Tank Masters’ at DD in literally minutes, that’s support for you!

‘Our regs are dual stage. The first stage knocks the native bottle pressure down to around 60 bar and then a secondary coarse adjustment allows adjustment of pressure between 0-4 bar , we suggest setting this to 2 bar for the twin tech.

There is also a fine adjustment needle for setting the gas 'flow' into the twin tech so you can adjust the time that the gas chamber fills after initial turn on as it should fill the float chamber within 3 minutes.

https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/3053/214

So I’m certainly happy with this now whatever stage it is because they also use it on their system.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 requires a 2 stage regulator, as it does not use a solenoid or metering valve...

Not included

• CO2 bottle, CO2 regulator (important, 2 stage regulator is required) and CO2 hose.
  • Calcium reactor media.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 requires a 2 stage regulator, as it does not use a solenoid or metering valve...

Not included

• CO2 bottle, CO2 regulator (important, 2 stage regulator is required) and CO2 hose.
  • Calcium reactor media.

The Twin Tech comes with a low voltage solenoid valve as standard

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight from the ‘horses mouth’ a reply from one of the ‘Tank Masters’ at DD in literally minutes, that’s support for you!

‘Our regs are dual stage. The first stage knocks the native bottle pressure down to around 60 bar and then a secondary coarse adjustment allows adjustment of pressure between 0-4 bar , we suggest setting this to 2 bar for the twin tech.

FWIW, 60 bar is 870 psig. That is pretty much the bottle pressure. Not sure there is really a first stage at all.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 60 bar is 870 psig. That is pretty much the bottle pressure. Not sure there is really a first stage at all.
It sounds like they’re just churching up the purpose of the two gauges. Because what they’re saying doesn’t describe how a dual stage works

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a regulator for a fish tank...... the OP asked for advice....... the suppliers recommend it.... so what can I say.

If the OP isn’t happy then just buy a different one.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back