Dursa overflow help

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached video. Is my water level too high or low or is this just how they work?

Attachments

• IMG_0184.MP4
    7.1 MB

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell what you have going on there. If the one on the right is a drain thats full siphon it should be lower than the one you have on the left. Almost looks like its pulling more than you are returning. Is there a gate valve installed?

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell what you have going on there. If the one on the right is a drain thats full siphon it should be lower than the one you have on the left. Almost looks like its pulling more than you are returning. Is there a gate valve installed?
Sorry for bad video it’s this if it helps. The water level will drop below the overflow and then fill right back up continually so I think you might be right about pulling more than returning.

B5A41EDC-AC74-4344-84C6-6D111222B87B.jpeg

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same setup when I got my tank and scrapped it for a Herbie with the return over the top. I think even with a Durso you still need a good valve under it to control the flow and stop what it's doing.

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have vinyl tubing connecting the overflow down to the sump. Any valves you would recommend that wouldn't require a lot to change?

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used spaflex on mine and a brs gate valve. You can work on the drain after turning the pumps off without much of a mess. Just wait for the lines to clear out.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as long as you don't remove anything in the overflow and just work under the tank you can take it apart without a mess I should say.

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tubing is 1 1/4 so if i bought both these parts in 1 1/4 would that be correct? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gray-male-pipe-adapter-spigot-x-barb.html

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hole in the top of the durso is a tad too small and is creating a full siphon. you can gradually increase the hole size and it will stop the flushing cycles. imo i would not put any valves of any type on a durso drain.
I had the same setup when I got my tank and scrapped it for a Herbie with the return over the top. I think even with a Durso you still need a good valve under it to control the flow and stop what it's doing.
i'm about to do the same with mine just for the piece of mind of having an emergency drain.

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hole in the top of the durso is a tad too small and is creating a full siphon. you can gradually increase the hole size and it will stop the flushing cycles. imo i would not put any valves of any type on a durso drain.

i'm about to do the same with mine just for the piece of mind of having an emergency drain.
I'd say its about 3/16 inch what should I get it up to?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap drill set from lowes and go up one size at a time until this cycling stops. I have about a 1/4 in mine with a piece of standard ro tubing about 1 3/4 long inserted into it.

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap drill set from lowes and go up one size at a time until this cycling stops. I have about a 1/4 in mine with a piece of standard ro tubing about 1 3/4 long inserted into it.
Thanks man. After looking at it again its definitely a siphon starting and stopping as you said

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its a siphon issue. Drill the hole bigger (if needed) and put a piece of airline in there. Then you adjust the airline up or down to hit the sweet spot and stop the siphoning.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back