Dwarf Angel

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I had a question and would appreciate the help. Are dwarf angels hermaphrodites like clownfish? I’ve talked to reefers who say they are, but I went to a pretty reputable fish store who works on a lot of clients tanks, and was told that they arent hermaphrodites. Any help would be wonderful

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not like clowns, clowns start out male and change to female when the need arises.
Angelfish start female, then become male when they are mature enough and there is no dominant male present.
I meant like clowns as I’m both can change sexes haha, but thank you!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge angels are protogynous hermaphrodites. They are female first then the dominant one turn male. Centropyge will also revert sex change back to female if there is a more dominate fish in his territory. These are well documented, but may not be well known.

IME, and observation, single Centropyge tend to stay, or revert back to female and only turn male when there is a smaller angel in the tank. I am keeping a single Flame angel in my tank for 2 years by herself. She is still a female, and is a mature fish. I put three young and small Flameback angels together and within 2 weeks I already have a male, the largest of the three.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back