Dwarf cuttlefish hatchlings reaching two months milestone!

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! It is my first post on reef2reef but I'm really excited to share my journey with cuttlefish hatchlings. These dwarf cuttlefishes are now two months old and they are extremely social savvy. I'm pretty much looking forward to seeing them mate in a couple of months. Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. And I'm happy to answer questions if any. Thanks!

WeChat Image_20200815101944.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101941.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101938.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101933.jpg

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!!! I LOVE cuttlefish ever since I saw them at my local fish store. I heard they are very messy and some tend to have a short life span but they are so amazing to watch

if I had the right setup I would surely try one out but I’ll enjoy from afar from other like yourself

good luck and thank you for sharing

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!!! I LOVE cuttlefish ever since I saw them at my local fish store. I heard they are very messy and some tend to have a short life span but they are so amazing to watch

if I had the right setup I would surely try one out but I’ll enjoy from afar from other like yourself

good luck and thank you for sharing
Thank you Mrod!

Cuttlefish are not messy. They poo very little and shrimps love their poo. The only thing messy is the ink if they are stressed. But the ink could be skimmed out very quickly so no worry.

I heard that dwarf cuttlefish have a lifespan of roughly one year. In the end they could barely control their bodies. So it would be very sad to see them pass away. Some suggested mercy killings, which I think is quite merciless as well.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, while it's been a while I kept a couple batches more then 10 years ago. High quality food is the most important. I had a lot of trouble sourcing live food, having it clear customs ect so I tried ghost shrimp with some and it did cut down their lifespan a bit. Feed the shrimp just before you feed them to the cuttlefish works best.

When I first saw your post I thought your babies were flamboyants not bandensis'. If I could ever find flamboyant eggs that would get me back into keeping cephs.

Since they are not a long term commitment due to their short lifespans they make a great higher (but not crazy high) maintenance project for the experienced aquarist.

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, while it's been a while I kept a couple batches more then 10 years ago. High quality food is the most important. I had a lot of trouble sourcing live food, having it clear customs ect so I tried ghost shrimp with some and it did cut down their lifespan a bit. Feed the shrimp just before you feed them to the cuttlefish works best.

When I first saw your post I thought your babies were flamboyants not bandensis'. If I could ever find flamboyant eggs that would get me back into keeping cephs.

Since they are not a long term commitment due to their short lifespans they make a great higher (but not crazy high) maintenance project for the experienced aquarist.
Thank you Andrewkw for kind sharing! I could not agree more. Sourcing live SEA food is the key to keeping cephs. And it could mean tremendously high financial burdens sometimes. I've spent almost a thousand bucks in the past two months, primarily traffic cost, in commuting to coasts, catching shore shrimps.

I fed frozen food to shore shrimps before I fed them to cuttlefish. And the well fed shrimps made it easier for cuttlefish to identify them as well!

Freshwater shrimps are not very good for cuttlefishes as they might cause the cuttlefish to lose buoyancy sometimes.

I found it difficult to source Flamboyant eggs. My journey with cuttlefish starts with a Flamboyant adult. I wish I could have their eggs too some day.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I miss my dwarf cuttlefish, someday when I have more free time and money I will do it again. They were hands down the most interesting creatures I've ever kept as pets. Feeding time was so much fun.

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I miss my dwarf cuttlefish, someday when I have more free time and money I will do it again. They were hands down the most interesting creatures I've ever kept as pets. Feeding time was so much fun.
Thank you EMeyer!

You must have had wonderful times with these amazing creatures. Sometimes I find that they look like puppies when they lie on their stomachs or when they gradually approach the prey, which motivates me in thinking that all animals actually originate from the very same ancestor.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! It is my first post on reef2reef but I'm really excited to share my journey with cuttlefish hatchlings. These dwarf cuttlefishes are now two months old and they are extremely social savvy. I'm pretty much looking forward to seeing them mate in a couple of months. Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. And I'm happy to answer questions if any. Thanks!

WeChat Image_20200815101944.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101941.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101938.jpg

WeChat Image_20200815101933.jpg

E297348F-9687-4BAC-9FF7-7CD7607F580C.gif

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you EMeyer!

You must have had wonderful times with these amazing creatures. Sometimes I find that they look like puppies when they lie on their stomachs or when they gradually approach the prey, which motivates me in thinking that all animals actually originate from the very same ancestor.
Watching them hunt was awesome. Heres on of my favorite videos I took:

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching them hunt was awesome. Heres on of my favorite videos I took:

Awesome video! Observing them in a rock/sand environment is another fun way to appreciate their camouflage talent. Btw, the snail in your video I think is deadly venomous. Please watch out.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back