Dwarf Seahorse clean up crew

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp stay very small but idk about their compatibility with the dwarfs. Maybe stomalla snails would work? I have a lot of those and they do a good job on my glass. I know @Henn uses the stars which is why I suggested it. You might wanna look at their build thread, super cool read. I know they keep the regular sized horses but I bet some stuff carries over to dwarfs
Hi there, I'm Henn. There are some good questions here that have been issues for my Dwarf Seahorses. Regular Seahorses need too much depth for my Marine Ponds. There are now three separate breeding populations in three Corrals ( Dwarfs seahorses are called Ponys here ). Please be patient with a new member, when I feel that something needs to be cleared for the good of the Ponys.
The only safe crew are snails and Lettuce Nudibranch. Every type of shrimp gets aggressive eventually. After catching crabs in the act of hunting, they are out. One pony thought it was fun to be sucked in by a large Tube Worm then spit out. One wrong move and bent tail. They are the only fish passive enough to be hand captured in the main pond and returned to the floating corral. They will eventually fall afoul of any active tank mates. The system used here is to have the ponies live in a black mesh with only snails and Lettuce Nudibranches. The Nudibranch eat the hair algae and clean the Mesh. All the live Pony food comes off the stuff living on the mesh. It is the only way to cover all the size requirements from fry to adult. The Brittle Stars, Urchins, crabs, fish, and Peppermint Shrimp live outside the mesh. In a Tank I would recommend a folded black Tulle backdrop with the Ponys up front with their crew and any nasty crew in back. The reason for the Peppermint Shrimp is Hydras. One small sting will cause a sore on a Pony. Aptasia are only one type that will occur. Only Peppermint Shrimp have ever been effective at clearing the 750 gallons here. There are about 5 Shrimp per 250 gallon pond. Stay away from Cleaner Shrimp. One finished off a large Pony body in 5 minutes and only Peppermint Shrimp do Aptasia. My Brittle Stars are over 10 inches and might grab a Pony. One thing about Ponys is that catching them is easy, they don't panic. They can live for hours in a small display tank while you clean the main tank. Until they got natural forage on the Mesh the Fry survival was very low. Now it is very high and without extra effort.

I am so blessed.jpg This is why I love them.jpg

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not very familiar with anything saltwater lol, complete newbie. Are there any safe sized species of shrimp? Or should I go only snails?
Hi... I used Cerith snails because if I needed to treat for hydroids, they handle the fen. I put sexy shrimp in my tank but they hid so I moved them back to my big tank. You do not want to put any other shrimp or crabs in.
I used a lot of plastic toy chains and plastic plants with my macro for color encouragement (there really isn't a bright yellow macro lol) and would take them out and clean with hydrogen peroxide 3%, then rinse well. Peroxide melts the hair algae... toothbrush scrub. Worked better then bleach. Warning!! make sure you shake out that plant and put in saltwater for a bit before treating. Those little babies can really hide... wouldn't believe how many times I swore it was empty.
I would feed twice a day so it always looked like a snowglobe. In mornings I would shut off the filter and shine a spot light... all the leftover bbs would go for the light and I would suck them out to be enriched again.

Back