Easiest Anthias

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made my heart stop for a minute there. I got through your easy and medium list without seeing the Carberryi and immediately thought I had made a mistake! I was so relieved to see they didn't show up on your hardest list, either!

Are these really that uncommon?

I dont think they are that uncommon, but their coloration isnt as dramatic as some of the other, similarly priced anthias (resplendents or bimacs). There's also not much in the way of sexual dimorphism, as some other anthias (like lyretails) have as well, so you get pretty but boring fish. Dispars look similar and are half the price, so if you can get 3 carberryi, you can get 6 dispars for the same money too.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they are that uncommon, but their coloration isnt as dramatic as some of the other, similarly priced anthias (resplendents or bimacs). There's also not much in the way of sexual dimorphism, as some other anthias (like lyretails) have as well, so you get pretty but boring fish. Dispars look similar and are half the price, so if you can get 3 carberryi, you can get 6 dispars for the same money too.
Thanks, good to know!

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5, now 4 lyretail in my tank. I think they ganged up on the 1 that just went missing. They do just fine...Prior to having an auto feeder I could go away for a weekend and not feed them for 2 or 3 days and they're just fine.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made my heart stop for a minute there. I got through your easy and medium list without seeing the Carberryi and immediately thought I had made a mistake! I was so relieved to see they didn't show up on your hardest list, either!

Are these really that uncommon?

I didn't include Carberryi as I don't have any experience with them. Looking at the species , I would guess they will be in the easy to medium groups .
Generally, I have seen that the deeper the anthias is in nature, the harder they become to keep .
Apart from QT and food , the other important factor that makes them easy to keep successfully , is to start with lower temparature like 74-75F in QT and then slowly increase it to tank temp especially if they are deep water ones . Also, minimal light in the beginning in QT and slowly acclimate to higher light helps.

Regards,
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - would like to point out that you should have bbs at your disposal just to hatch and make them eat .
Nutramar ova is a miracle food for anthias if you can get some .
I know marinedepot has some !!

Oh .. I do not use medication from the first day itself in QT . Try to make them eat first before applying medicines like prazi or API General Cure ..

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - would like to point out that you should have bbs at your disposal just to hatch and make them eat .
Nutramar ova is a miracle food for anthias if you can get some .
I know marinedepot has some !!

Oh .. I do not use medication from the first day itself in QT . Try to make them eat first before applying medicines like prazi or API General Cure ..

Regards,
Abhishek
I normally start meds on day 3 unless I see something that makes me start earlier. I'll make a point of getting some bbs ready to go just to be on the safe side. I'll have to check out the Nutramar.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SteveO64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female lyretail, had a little trouble to get her to eat but now she is fine. Ive had her for close to a year now. She will only eat spirulina flakes. I want to get a male but haven't had the opportunity yet.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair.

The female is doing some weird stuff when the male is close but not all the time. Maybe half the time. She swims quickly straight down and back up, and the her colors change. The whole pink tail turns red. And a moment later she's back to normal.

20170418_165108.jpg

20170418_161727.jpg
20170418_161332.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female lyretail, had a little trouble to get her to eat but now she is fine. Ive had her for close to a year now. She will only eat spirulina flakes. I want to get a male but haven't had the opportunity yet.

My female eats anything now but at first only frozen brine. Got to get some meat in the diet.

rckfsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. Would I be better off getting a male and 2 to 4 females or getting all females and letting them work out who becomes the male?
You should get one male and at least three or four females sunset anthias are great mine eat flakes

dave9905

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most anthias im familiar with are pretty hardy, they just have small stomachs and require multiple feedings a day.

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Dispar in my tank and are very easy to care for. They will not touch flake food but love to eat mysis shrimp.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair.

The female is doing some weird stuff when the male is close but not all the time. Maybe half the time. She swims quickly straight down and back up, and the her colors change. The whole pink tail turns red. And a moment later she's back to normal.

20170418_165108.jpg

20170418_161727.jpg
20170418_161332.jpg

Its theU dance for anthias getting ready to spawn :D
Do you see them doing the dance just after lights out especially with ambient lights on ?
In any case, you should be happy .

Regards,
Abhishek

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One more question. Would I be better off getting a male and 2 to 4 females or getting all females and letting them work out who becomes the male?
I would get all small females.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its theU dance for anthias getting ready to spawn :D
Do you see them doing the dance just after lights out especially with ambient lights on ?
In any case, you should be happy .

Regards,
Abhishek

Yeah they do it quite often. The male also "perches" on a rock and sits motionless. Then snaps out and they dance. Ive seen her doing odd "rolls" around him lately too.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been interesting to watch since the first day I put her in there with him. For quite awhile she was not allowed to leave the corner of the tank. Then one day she was allowed freedom and chose her favored place on the opposite side of the tank. And now this new interaction. She'd had evidence of a small nip on one pectoral fin already healed, but other than the lip lock for a few seconds its been darting.

phea2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 lyretail in my 100g tank. I bought 6 and 2 died within few days, but I got 2 more a month later and the old one didn't bother them at all. One changed into male and yes the male does harass the females a lot but there are a lot of hiding places in my tanks.

Food wise mine would eat anything that goes in the tank. I feed them pellets twice a day, frozen (mysis, brine, pods, etc) once a day and a clam every evening. They also get some flakes and seaweed once a week.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back