Easiest way to clean acrylic tanks...IMO

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladipyg. My first tank was an acrylic from Old Town Aquarium in the 1980s (you know it I'm sure). I still have it. Bought this one about a half year ago, and how to care for the surface has been a major concern. I can't tell you how glad I am for this piece of advice and other advice you've posted over the past several months. The magic eraser is on the shopping list.

TankUnderWraps.jpg

Many thanks. Steve

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know of Old Town Aquarium...went in there once....came out stuttering "T-t-twenty five d-d-dollars for a d-d-damsel". Never went in again, too rich for my poor old southside blood. Let us know how it works for you....

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, stopped in (25 years later) after CMAS 2009 and am never going back. Must be the . . . real estate? Thanks for the Reef Depot referral. Much, much better. Will undoubtedly let you know how the eraser goes, but I'm already sold; after all, both Saltysteele, you, and others gave it the thumbs up!

john hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gave it a shot and all i can say is WOW cut my cleaning time in have on my glass tank so i went and tryed my acrylic and same thing my tanks have not looked this good in years thanks for the tip

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amen! can i get a whitness? :haha:

my tank originally had 4-5 inches of cc with a plenum, before i got it. from this, it developed a film, i guess i don't know how else to describe it, from where the cc was all along the bottom. well, i'd scrub and scrub with my dobie, and didn't even touch it. it "accidentally" cleaned that film off the acrylic! next time i clean, i'm going to try it on the rest!

this is the best thing since sliced bread for us acrylic owners! thank you so, so much!!!

i was doing some research on it, and it is a foam, of sorts. kind of like fiberglass how it is made up of tiny threads. so while it appears to be soft, that's because it's so fine, and so densely held together. some have reported chemical burns, but it is actually debridement from the scrubber. people don't realize it's abrasive, because it feels so soft.

i love it, i love it, i love it!

FOSELONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ladipyg...can you post a pic of the actual one you bought...or the packaging at least...thanks

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to pick some up next time Im at the store. Thanks you so much for the info. Ill let you know how it works out for me too. :D

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bold and tried this on a bowfront glass tank. It worked great. No scratches and SO much easier then a scraper. I was able to get it into tight spaces and areas that are difficult to clean. It literally cut my cleaning time in half if not more. Sweet:)

Robin

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit that I was skeptical about using this in my tank because when I've cleaned with it before it seemed to leave a residue. So I did a little research.....

Question
Does Mr. Clean Magic Eraser contain a cleaning solution?

Answer
No, it doesn't. That's what's so great about it! It's made of a soft material that cleans with just water alone. Pretty neat, even if we do say so ourselves.
http://homemadesimple.custhelp.com/...iZwX2N2PTEuMTIyJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

I also found the Material Safety Data Sheet

http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/...xtra,_Auto).pdf

I may give this a try. :)

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about cleaning a stove or something similar and getting a residue, it's usually the grease left behind that water alone will not get off. When I clean the burnt on mess on my stove, I use the eraser to get off all the dried, hard crud and then go back with a soapy rag to get off the grease. The sponge itself doesn't leave a residue.

I am so happy to see such postive reviews so far about using this to clean our tanks. I knew I was on to something and I'm glad my observations are making the normally dreaded job of cleaning our tanks a little easier.

From the looks of the data sheet, the biggest thing is making sure you don't leave it lying around for your dog or cat to find and ingest. Other than that, it looks good.

Last edited:

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally took the time to read through this thread ... very interesting Nina! I think I have some left from the cleaning lady, so I'll try them tonight on my acrylic frag tank as it's a nasty mess!

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure they a new SaraB...if she used them with a cleaning product, you don't want to take the chance of transferring it into your tank...I've seen your frags (and even bought one) there is no way I'd risk a used one.
On an unrelated note, I would like to get a Dendro frag from you one of these days too. LMK how they work for you.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there's still new ones in the box that are unused!

I have 2 dendro frags left, just let me know when you are ready for them. I've had them since June, so they are hardy ;-)

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using the eraser on a couple glass tanks today. For everything but coraline algae it worked fantastic. The coraline wouldn't come off using the eraser much what-so-ever, unless it was thick and then it would just remove some.

I did think of trying to put under my magnetic scraper(mag-float). I didn't think about it till I was mostly done w/ both tanks, but I tried it anyways. It worked pretty well from what I could tell. I decided to decrease the thickness of the the eraser by halving it and then quartering it. That made it work better, due to the magnet having a stronger hold.

I'm going to try it on my acrylic tank tonight and I'll report back about how it goes.

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it works great. I use it on my zero edge on both sides and it looks like the day I started my tank. Thanks Ladypyg

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes my coraline algae off..just use small back and forth motion with a little more finger pressure. Should be no problem. It's a little harder the first time, but once you get the tank "polished up" from regular use, it comes off quite easily.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back