Eb832 reliability

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that have gone dead now. They both have power but the outlets are dead and can’t control anything. I there anyone else who had these issues? Never a problem with my eb8’s for which I’m currently using .

OP
OP
roman1

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, the relays go out, depending how often you are switching things off and on. heater outlets are the worst. you can get them at mouser.com
So is this something that a person could replace on their own? Mine are both out of warranty

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that have gone dead now. They both have power but the outlets are dead and can’t control anything. I there anyone else who had these issues? Never a problem with my eb8’s for which I’m currently using .

Do the little LED indicators still turn on/off with the apex, with just no actual power at the outlet?

U

User1

View Badges

No. No issues reported here.

I did have one throw a board inside that they replaced for 50 bucks. However, it wasn't the bar's fault but rather a power surge that came into our neighbourhood and blew a bunch of our appliances to include the bar. I had it fixed, bought another, and now have a hot spare should I need it.

But no. Sorry to hear you are having the issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assure the outlet/power source eb832 is not tripped, Try updating the software for the Eb832 and I assumer you pressed the little yellow unit on the back of the EB832 ?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temp control program that keeps my system temps very tight, but does involve a lot of heater switching on and off, particularly at night in the winter. The frequent heater switching killed one of my EB832 outlets after about 2 years. I'm not entirely surprised, although I had hoped that the relays would be more robust. They should last for around 100,000 cycles, which even with frequent use would still be 10 years or more. But high current devices must cause them to deteriorate much more quickly. I have also spoken with knowledgeable LFS staff who have seen a fair number of EBs come in with relay failures. I anticipate more failures of my EB outlets in the years to come, unfortunately.

OP
OP
roman1

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temp control program that keeps my system temps very tight, but does involve a lot of heater switching on and off, particularly at night in the winter. The frequent heater switching killed one of my EB832 outlets after about 2 years. I'm not entirely surprised, although I had hoped that the relays would be more robust. They should last for around 100,000 cycles, which even with frequent use would still be 10 years or more. But high current devices must cause them to deteriorate much more quickly. I have also spoken with knowledgeable LFS staff who have seen a fair number of these come in with relay failures. I anticipate more failures of my EB outlets in the years to come, unfortunately.
I have my heater programmed to shut off if it goes above 82 degrees and alert me if temp goes below 75. Use the thermostat on heater but have it programmed if it should fail to alert and turn off.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, the relays go out, depending how often you are switching things off and on. heater outlets are the worst. you can get them at mouser.com

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a link to the specific relay outlet you've used with the EB832?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater programmed to shut off if it goes above 82 degrees and alert me if temp goes below 75. Use the thermostat on heater but have it programmed if it should fail to alert and turn off.

With that range, you shouldn't be having problems with the outlet relay failing because of frequent switching.

And as mentioned, if the entire EB832 is dead, then it's not a failed relay on one of the outlets, it's a failure deeper in the electronics, most likely. Very odd bad luck to have 2 of them dead like this, though. Is your house power fairly clean, as far as you know? For example, have any other household devices ever have issues? If you're getting power surges, something like that could potentially kill an EB. I keep each of my Apex systems on its own UPS to keep the power to the unit clean and steady.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back