Ecotech Marine Mobius and Versa Pump vs. Neptune Apex and DOS

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Remember to use the rain drop dosage thing when you want to test different speeds as you can adjust the rate and time. Mine have been working flawless since the fix at up to 40 ml/min which is about .63 gallons an hour.

I decided to give another go and tried your method. It worked! It’s quiet but now the calibration is off (this wasn’t a problem before). I calibrated to 80ml/min and it always comes up short at 75-76ml. The only time it’ll be accurate is if I dose 80 ml in 10s. I’m done messing with this thing and hope the replacement works

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give another go and tried your method. It worked! It’s quiet but now the calibration is off (this wasn’t a problem before). I calibrated to 80ml/min and it always comes up short at 75-76ml. The only time it’ll be accurate is if I dose 80 ml in 10s. I’m done messing with this thing and hope the replacement works
I just did various test and its working great now. at some point i did hear that grinding sound but just during one dosage. but like bam123 said, I don't believe anyone would be doing 300ml per min unless is an emergency water change. i did some "future plan" dosage just to see how it would perform i.e. doing 2 min of a 10% water change of 300g in 15 days, and it was very quiet, or doing 30ml per min. Shinister my calibration did take a while as well. if you have a DOS use their calibration meter thing. it goes by 1ml at the time. it took me 7 times to get mine right. keep doing 30ml at 30sec and enter the dosage. if its off do it again and again and you'll see the versa auto correcting itself. after its good run the "rain drop" with different values just to double check

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did various test and its working great now. at some point i did hear that grinding sound but just during one dosage. but like bam123 said, I don't believe anyone would be doing 300ml per min unless is an emergency water change. i did some "future plan" dosage just to see how it would perform i.e. doing 2 min of a 10% water change of 300g in 15 days, and it was very quiet, or doing 30ml per min. Shinister my calibration did take a while as well. if you have a DOS use their calibration meter thing. it goes by 1ml at the time. it took me 7 times to get mine right. keep doing 30ml at 30sec and enter the dosage. if its off do it again and again and you'll see the versa auto correcting itself. after its good run the "rain drop" with different values just to double check

do you reset the calibration every time or just calibrate?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great thread! I am glad there is another option out there for AWC.
but reading through it sounds like the versa needs about 6 months to debug it and get out all kinks out.
bummer as I will be setting up a new tank in April sometime and will be doing AWC guess i will see where we are at then, sounds promising tho. but might just have to go with my original plan of the DoS.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shinister,

When you calibrate, are you finishing up with the final step of inputting what was dosed? If it dosed 76 ml instead of 80. You should be able to correct that by adding 76 to the calibration.

And I'm having a hard time understanding the statement of dosing 80ml in 10s. I assume that's 10 seconds, that would indicate that the pump was running at 480ml/min, which I assume is impossible.

The beauty of giving the user the ability to calibrate at particular dose and duration is so that we can calibrate it in a manner in which we intend to use it. If I want my pumps to dose 45 ml/min I would set calibration to dose 45ml in 1 minute, that way I know that the pump is as accurate as can be.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated mine at 10 ml over 20 seconds. Easy to read and covers what I dose at for awc which is around 30ml/min. Really happy with my VERSA pumps. I like my DOS a lot as well, just not for AWC.

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note what's up with the container volume counter? you can add the total volume but doesn't tell you how much you've used or how much you have left besides the color ring around the versa logo or any notification. or am I missing something here? also the catch up feature. where is that at? I'm current using with my calk reactor at 1ml per min. it would suck to fast kalk dose if i lose power.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shinister,

When you calibrate, are you finishing up with the final step of inputting what was dosed? If it dosed 76 ml instead of 80. You should be able to correct that by adding 76 to the calibration.

And I'm having a hard time understanding the statement of dosing 80ml in 10s. I assume that's 10 seconds, that would indicate that the pump was running at 480ml/min, which I assume is impossible.

The beauty of giving the user the ability to calibrate at particular dose and duration is so that we can calibrate it in a manner in which we intend to use it. If I want my pumps to dose 45 ml/min I would set calibration to dose 45ml in 1 minute, that way I know that the pump is as accurate as can be.

yes. If I remember correctly, it dosed 82ml so I input that. It was consistently off by 4 or 5.

maybe it was 80ml in 20s or 30s. All I know is the dosed amount was more inaccurate as more time was chosen.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that people have played with this pump for awhile. Do you guys think running this pump in continuous mode on an ATO switched outlet is a solid choice? Im looking for a dead silent ATO pump...

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We researched this further and posted a firmware update through mobius today. Please see if this resolves your problem.

Finally got back home from out of town and tested...seems to have fixed my issue at this time...now I just have 2 really noisy pumps I need to get addressed.

Now that people have played with this pump for awhile. Do you guys think running this pump in continuous mode on an ATO switched outlet is a solid choice? Im looking for a dead silent ATO pump...

It may work that way, but you may also want to consider an Avast peristaltic pump for this particular application.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the waterbox family reunion, ETM said that they are super close to rolling out an ATO solution for the versa... Might be worth waiting for.

In the mean time what people are doing is coupling the versa to what ever controller they use to trigger the top off pump.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note what's up with the container volume counter? you can add the total volume but doesn't tell you how much you've used or how much you have left besides the color ring around the versa logo or any notification. or am I missing something here? also the catch up feature. where is that at? I'm current using with my calk reactor at 1ml per min. it would suck to fast kalk dose if i lose power.

The catch up feature has to be manually clicked on and will turn green. IT is below the dosage/start time/ end time.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use DOS tubing for this? I can’t remember if it’s the same size as RO tubing. Trying to figured out if I need to rerun my AWC line. Purchased a DOS few years back and never used it for intended purpose as I could hear the dang thing across the house even after making an insulated box. Thinking this is finally a good solution.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use DOS tubing for this? I can’t remember if it’s the same size as RO tubing. Trying to figured out if I need to rerun my AWC line. Purchased a DOS few years back and never used it for intended purpose as I could hear the dang thing across the house even after making an insulated box. Thinking this is finally a good solution.

Yes you can. Same RO size. I was running a DOS for AWC. Just put the same RO tubes into the VERSA. I used the barbed fittings because I wanted to, but you don't have to.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet, have a pair coming tomorrow. Hopefully can finally get AWC going!

Just did a 2 gallon water change over 5 hours (24ml/min). Super quiet. I love these pumps:)) I would suggest running them without the input/output lines put in so you can play with the software.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 2 gallon water change over 5 hours (24ml/min). Super quiet. I love these pumps:)) I would suggest running them without the input/output lines put in so you can play with the software.
I’m planning on changing 3.5 GPD not sure on what interval but should give me an effective ~50% WC a month. Excited to try them out. The DOS noise rendered it useless in my application

I do need to figure out how I want to program the Neptune to control. Either using an optical sensor minimum in SW tank or perhaps just having the outlet turn off every week and manually resetting when I fill the SA tank

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on changing 3.5 GPD not sure on what interval but should give me an effective ~50% WC a month. Excited to try them out. The DOS noise rendered it useless in my application

run it over 10 hours and it will be quiet. The DOS is awful at 3.5 gallons per day..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back