Ecotech Marine Mobius and Versa Pump vs. Neptune Apex and DOS

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps came in today, initial thoughts; very sleek and well thought out design. Love the mounting points and included hardware. Noise is WAY less than DOS. Even at 200ml/min (over 3 GPH) I cant hear it outside the closet it is in. Very happy with that as I’ll be running at 9.2ml/min if I go the continuous route... Now to the unfortunate the DOS tubing does not fit without the barb, not a huge deal and make take the opportunity to run RO tubing instead (better longevity?)... However, I’m concerned as 1 barb on each of my pumps leaks at the union to the pump :/ Troubleshooting will continue

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps came in today, initial thoughts; very sleek and well thought out design. Love the mounting points and included hardware. Noise is WAY less than DOS. Even at 200ml/min (over 3 GPH) I cant hear it outside the closet it is in. Very happy with that as I’ll be running at 9.2ml/min if I go the continuous route... Now to the unfortunate the DOS tubing does not fit without the barb, not a huge deal and make take the opportunity to run RO tubing instead (better longevity?)... However, I’m concerned as 1 barb on each of my pumps leaks at the union to the pump :/ Troubleshooting will continue

I only tried with RO tubing that use to be on my DOS. I use the barb adapter and like it alot. You can also use the RO tubing without the barb adapter.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm considering these for AWC but haven't seen anything about how to program them. I assume you use one pump to take out tank water and another to put in new water, programming them to run the same amount at the same time.
I've read a couple comments in this thread about the pumps holding calibration or dosing inaccurately. Any thoughts/experience whether they are accurate enough that two pumps will process the same amount of water each day?

I've been using an incredibly loud but accurate two head Stenner for a few years and would like to change to something quieter.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering these for AWC but haven't seen anything about how to program them. I assume you use one pump to take out tank water and another to put in new water, programming them to run the same amount at the same time.
I've read a couple comments in this thread about the pumps holding calibration or dosing inaccurately. Any thoughts/experience whether they are accurate enough that two pumps will process the same amount of water each day?

I've been using an incredibly loud but accurate two head Stenner for a few years and would like to change to something quieter.

You calibrate at the dose you run at. Pretty basic concept. I have been using the versa for AWC between 2-4 gallons a day over 6-hours for the past couple of weeks. Which is under 30ml minute. Very quiet. Yes, one pump to put new water in and one pump to pull old water out. No issues with one drawing more then the other. I would know this as my ATO resvoir would drop or my salinity would drop. Neither happens. I like it better then my apex DOS for AWC. For regular dosing, I don't think it matters which you pick.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You calibrate at the dose you run at. Pretty basic concept. I have been using the versa for AWC between 2-4 gallons a day over 6-hours for the past couple of weeks. Which is under 30ml minute. Very quiet. Yes, one pump to put new water in and one pump to pull old water out. No issues with one drawing more then the other. I would know this as my ATO resvoir would drop or my salinity would drop. Neither happens. I like it better then my apex DOS for AWC. For regular dosing, I don't think it matters which you pick.

Thanks for the response. Keep in mind that if the input pump is running faster than the output pump, the salinity would slowly rise. But if you haven't noticed that either, then they must be accurate enough.

That solved, the only question is do I want 2 or 4?? I wish there was a two pump mounting plate....

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Keep in mind that if the input pump is running faster than the output pump, the salinity would slowly rise. But if you haven't noticed that either, then they must be accurate enough.

That solved, the only question is do I want 2 or 4?? I wish there was a two pump mounting plate....

I have a piece of tape that tells me if the water is rising and a sensor as well. But yes, salinity would rise if input more then out and vice VERSA:)) I bought 4 because you get the plate for free.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 for AWC as well, and run them both on constant mode at 13.2 ml/min. Both calibrated at that speed for exact accuracy.

One thing to note about matching rotation, I wouldn't look at that as accurate. I have both Versa's sitting side by side, the one adding new salt water has to pull water from the reservoir 15 feet away, while the other has to push water 15 feet away and only pull 3-5 feet.

The versa that is pulling 15 feet is pumping slightly faster than the one pushing 15 feet. but they are both moving the exact same amount of water, which is also verified by the salinity probe and frequency of the ATO pump. neither have changed.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece of tape that tells me if the water is rising and a sensor as well. But yes, salinity would rise if input more then out and vice VERSA:)) I bought 4 because you get the plate for free.
the 4 pack is great because you can use 2 for AWC and 2 for 2 part dosing. 4 pack is going to be my next purchase!!!

How are you liking the mobius interface?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tried with RO tubing that use to be on my DOS. I use the barb adapter and like it alot. You can also use the RO tubing without the barb adapter.
Very tempted to run RO tubing. I have the Neptune / Comparable tubing ran from the DOS. Would be an easy switch over aside from the 30-40 foot attic run for the waste water. Contemplating just by the tubing and running it next week when I have time off. Don’t like to add water in the attic without conduit which makes it a little bit more of an ordeal because I’m not sure how easy I could snake the new RO through existing conduit. Thinking it would have to be a fully new conduit.... Likely running an Ethernet USB anyway to add a FMM and fully automate my RODI production. End goal is to just add salt once a week :)

Just glad to finally have a pump that is viable for usage and can’t be heard across the house keeping me up at night. Hoping Ecotech send the replacement part quickly.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd give an update since it is unfair just to come on forums to complain and not give any updates when things were made right. Ecotech overnighted a replacement and its not leaking and working great. I have it running constantly on 80ml/min as a calrx feed. Its not completely silent when the unit is right in front of you. Its got a slight whine. Inside my stand, its dead silent. The room is much quieter now since my masterflex is not vibrating the walls. Of course, only time will tell if this pump will work like this long term. I can tell you that it is indeed very accurate and quieter than any dosing pump Ive had (DOS, kamoer x1, jebao).

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My also has been great after i got the replacement. I recheck the calibration last night. just time 5 min and had a measuring cup at the end of the actually line dosing into the tank. pump has about 15' of tubing all together and the dosage is spot on. now one question. where can we find what's being updating on the software. just opened the app and there's a second update ( since i own the pump ). i would love to know what's being fix. @Tim at EcoTech

Last edited:

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would through my two cents in. One week of AWC at 2 gallons a day continuous. Dead silent and spot on.

The tube connection on one of my two pumps is very loose but doesn’t leak, yet. Even a slight tug the tubing adapter will pop out. Contacted Ecotech and they sent a replace for both pumps the next day!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 for AWC as well, and run them both on constant mode at 13.2 ml/min. Both calibrated at that speed for exact accuracy.

One thing to note about matching rotation, I wouldn't look at that as accurate. I have both Versa's sitting side by side, the one adding new salt water has to pull water from the reservoir 15 feet away, while the other has to push water 15 feet away and only pull 3-5 feet.

The versa that is pulling 15 feet is pumping slightly faster than the one pushing 15 feet. but they are both moving the exact same amount of water, which is also verified by the salinity probe and frequency of the ATO pump. neither have changed.

How the heck does that happen? Unless you input the distance and the height how does the pump know that you are pulling pushing water from any distance?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the heck does that happen? Unless you input the distance and the height how does the pump know that you are pulling pushing water from any distance?
The pump knows because you calibrate it in the environment in which it is to be used. Both pumps being exactly the same, same tube lengths, same fluid viscosity, same rotation, they will pump exactly the same amount of fluid per revolution.

But when you factor in that one pump will have greater vacuum on the inlet side, then fluid dynamics plays a role. Pulling the liquid creates a vacuum inside the tube, while pushing create pressure. When you think about it like that the longer the inlet tube the greater the vacuum, meaning atmospheric pressure will be squeezing the soft tube changing the overall internal volume. The variance is slight, but when having 2 pumps that need to be flowing the same amount, it's enough to take notice. Which is why you always hear manufactures say to calibrate after you run all the hose and have the pump in its final resting place.

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump knows because you calibrate it in the environment in which it is to be used. Both pumps being exactly the same, same tube lengths, same fluid viscosity, same rotation, they will pump exactly the same amount of fluid per revolution.

But when you factor in that one pump will have greater vacuum on the inlet side, then fluid dynamics plays a role. Pulling the liquid creates a vacuum inside the tube, while pushing create pressure. When you think about it like that the longer the inlet tube the greater the vacuum, meaning atmospheric pressure will be squeezing the soft tube changing the overall internal volume. The variance is slight, but when having 2 pumps that need to be flowing the same amount, it's enough to take notice. Which is why you always hear manufactures say to calibrate after you run all the hose and have the pump in its final resting place.
That’s some Jedi s**t right here

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ahh, of course, the calibration!

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anybody been having issues with the versa stop dosing after the last update? I've been fine tuning the versa running my kalk reactor with the trident results. I'm running different amounts of dosages for different times of the day. every time i change the profile i.e. duration or dosage the versa stop running. and now it quit running on its on all day today.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anybody been having issues with the versa stop dosing after the last update? I've been fine tuning the versa running my kalk reactor with the trident results. I'm running different amounts of dosages for different times of the day. every time i change the profile i.e. duration or dosage the versa stop running. and now it quit running on its on all day today.

Yes. I put in a ticket with ecotech already. Should have an update soon

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No issues here but continuously AWC. Tried a few single doses Sunday after updating with no issues as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back