Eel care guide!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one live molly in the tank with my eel. Went and bought a few from one of the chain pet stores. I'm hoping to breed the 4 I have seperate so I don't have to keep buying feeders. Maybe he'll start eating squid again, who knows...

719bloodhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days is nothing, I've got a golden dwarf that decided frozen squid(used to go absolutely nuts over) wasn't good anymore. He's refused everything I've offered and I haven't actually fed him since the middle of December. I suspect him of eating a few of my fish, but he's been in a tank by himself for a month now. Still hasn't eaten, still looks healthy.

By the way, eels and skulls are just awesome. This is my Maui.

20180301_194751.jpg

Proof he used to eat.

Where did you get that skull

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that skull

Umm, what's the name of that place.... Pet Superstore or something. It's one of those cheap acrylic goldfish decorations, and I'm going to encrust it with cyphastrea. There's a big hole in the back where Maui can come and go. I just glued the underside of the frag plug to that hole. It should start encrusting here soon.

Muahaha...

20180301_200936.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one live molly in the tank with my eel. Went and bought a few from one of the chain pet stores. I'm hoping to breed the 4 I have seperate so I don't have to keep buying feeders. Maybe he'll start eating squid again, who knows...

They are easy to breed, I used to breed them salt. They seem to take longer in salt, I was lucky to find a lfs that gets tons in at all sizes. I just got 16 for $2 for my lions.(4 for a $ on 2 for tues)

Is there anything else going on in the tank that could have thrown his eating off. The usual; water conditions, anyone picking on him, I did have a jeweled with flukes once.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in his own tank, well, there is a coral banded shrimp in there. I haven't noticed it messing with him. There really isn't anything to feed in the tank other than Maui himself, so I don't think nutrients will become too much of a problem. I haven't noticed any paracites... but he's a really light colored eel. Flukes would be next to impossible to see.

20180209_194540.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in his own tank, well, there is a coral banded shrimp in there. I haven't noticed it messing with him. There really isn't anything to feed in the tank other than Maui himself, so I don't think nutrients will become too much of a problem. I haven't noticed any paracites... but he's a really light colored eel. Flukes would be next to impossible to see.

20180209_194540.jpg

I'm not the expert, but it may not hurt to dose some prazi pro. If there is a problem, say parasites; prazi would likely solve it and it is rather safe and easy to administer. I've found more times than not; when a fish stops or changes his eating habits, it ends up being internal parasites.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the expert, but it may not hurt to dose some prazi pro. If there is a problem, say parasites; prazi would likely solve it and it is rather safe and easy to administer. I've found more times than not; when a fish stops or changes his eating habits, it ends up being internal parasites.

Internal parasites... would Parazi help with that? I've always heard to use metro and focus in food for internal parasites, but he's not eating.

I have parazi, metro, kana and focus. Along with coppersafe, but it's not eel safe. I'm guessing Parazi is eel safe?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of mine Dragon moray. Gotta watch him when feeding got bit twice over the last 3 years. Blind and will bite anything. LOL
IMG_2997.JPG
IMG_2996.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA just nearsighted. But he is always right in the mix even when i am feeding pellets or flakes so i always have to be aware of him. Same with my snowflake but i am more concerned with him jumping out which he did about a year ago. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites... would Parazi help with that? I've always heard to use metro and focus in food for internal parasites, but he's not eating.

I have parazi, metro, kana and focus. Along with coppersafe, but it's not eel safe. I'm guessing Parazi is eel safe?

Yes prazi pro is eel safe, Ive found it effective for mild cases of internal parasites. If I'm really concerned, once they are eating, I will follow up with metro/focus. I've had many cases of fish not eating, and after prazi pro their appetite comes back. That's how I figured that many fish not eating may be caused by internal parasites. That's if all other concerns are met as well; like a health,y size appropriate, and relatively stress free environment.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes prazi pro is eel safe, Ive found it effective for mild cases of internal parasites. If I'm really concerned, once they are eating, I will follow up with metro/focus. I've had many cases of fish not eating, and after prazi pro their appetite comes back. That's how I figured that many fish not eating may be caused by internal parasites. That's if all other concerns are met as well; like a health,y size appropriate, and relatively stress free environment.

Just dosed parizipro according to label. Hopefully his appetite picks back up in a week. I'll soak his food in metro and focus for a few weeks after he's eating to make sure he's cleaned out.

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days is nothing, I've got a golden dwarf that decided frozen squid(used to go absolutely nuts over) wasn't good anymore. He's refused everything I've offered and I haven't actually fed him since the middle of December. I suspect him of eating a few of my fish, but he's been in a tank by himself for a month now. Still hasn't eaten, still looks healthy.

By the way, eels and skulls are just awesome. This is my Maui.

20180301_194751.jpg

Proof he used to eat.

That's awesome, the video, the algae, and i like How you hold the food infront of power head for smell. Appreciate the reply. Thanks

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually settle my eels in with something live. Ghosties might be good, if you can get some big ones. Maybe even a fiddler crab for the zebra. I wouldn't be surprised if the banana didn't take down the cardinals, the damsels are quite evasive but still on the menu. I wouldn't worry about the banana, he'll eat one your fish when he's hungry. If there's some inverts in there for the zebra, he'll find them when he's ready. Then just keep offering them a variety, squid and octopus will make them come out of the tanks.

2 awesome eel tanks, thanks guys
Yes thanks, im ok if he eats those guys, i really only planned on one fish, which i missed dearly, my black panda dogface puffer. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months, no food. Longest hunger strike I've seen yet. Still looks healthy so I guess just wait him out until he shows interest in food again.

20180314_072111.jpg

So even after the prazi pro he doesn't want to eat. I know you hear alot about eels and hunger strikes, it's usually not a huge concern when he's been moved, new addition or a some other major change to a tank. Every time I've seen an eel go on a hunger strike in an established home, there's always been an underlying reason. Maybe you are blocking his view to the tv(lol). My point is it may be something so simple you wouldn't even think it made any difference. Something must have happened to upset him and throw off his appetite.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 111 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back