Eel in a reef tank

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pebble toothed eels are not a huge risk to fish or shrimp, but they are clumsy and can eat crabs if they can.

Zebras are cool, but usually large and just knock stuff over. I had one and a pair of cleaner shrimp that hung out in the same hole.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pebble toothed eels are not a huge risk to fish or shrimp, but they are clumsy and can eat crabs if they can.

Zebras are cool, but usually large and just knock stuff over. I had one and a pair of cleaner shrimp that hung out in the same hole.

Very good article. Honestly to my recollection I can't remember any real complaints or serious issues with the zebra eel. Of course providing one understands their size and tank requirements.

MXTWINS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I would like to consider an eel for my mature 1000 litre reef tank
The reef is covered but with a mesh guard rather than glass
The tank holds sps corals and now has a range of fish including butterfly fish and large angels
As you can see I enjoy pushing the boundaries
I was considering a zebra eel or a white ribbon eel
I am happy to modify things to accommodate an eel
What do people think stupid idea or possible with serious planning?
Go for it… Eels are fun to have in your tank. Just give them their own space to hang (Caves, Tubes or Rocks built up for them to hide). There is a big difference in the two Eels. All Ribbon eels are for Expert only.(hard to care for) The Zebra Eel will get very big (up to 5 or 6 feet) you have a minimum of 250G tank for that one . Why don’t you start off with a Snowflake Eel first and after a while when that gets bigger (2 feet) you can upgrade to a bogger tank with bogger Eels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back