EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Tridents may not be sold on R2R above MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning, Reef2Reefers!!

Effective immediately, selling the Trident by Neptune Systems at any price above MSRP is not allowed.

This is not a decision we wanted to make. As a staff, we have actively avoided it bc we don't want to tell anyone how much they can sell their items for. However, in the case of the Trident, we have noticed a trend of abuse of the privilege with people buying these up and then reselling them at above retail while other hobbysists are unable to purchase one. We have tried multiple other solutions to control the issue, but effective immediately, any trident listed at above retail price will be removed from our marketplace forum, and any attempt to sell a trident via PM at above MSRP could lead to a loss of selling privileges on R2R.

Again, we have tried to avoid this decision, but we feel it's the right thing to do, and we stand by it.

ADMIN EDIT: Since sellers do incur costs when selling (i.e. shipping, PayPal fees, etc.), sellers may still ask that buyers cover shipping and handling in addition to the MSRP. Those fees should be kept to reasonably expected costs associated with selling and shipping the item.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a new, in box Trident I will sell for $400. Buyer to cover $1,000,000 shipping and handling charges.
Hmmm...extorting buyers through S&H charges...also something we can't allow... we'll just cite the "Be Courteous" section of our TOS for that one... ;) :D ;Hilarious

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terrance fingerprints are located where?
Nowhere. No sponsor (not Neptune Systems, nor any other) contacted us about this. This was a completely internal decision made by the staff based on what we have been watching take place.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new, in box Trident I will sell for $400. Buyer to cover $1,000,000 shipping and handling charges.

That made me laugh. Does anyone still fall for the S&H boondoggle on all those ‘infomercials’? I guess I used to .... no other way to explain being the proud owner of 25 popeil pocket fisherman .... and I don’t even go fishing.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where. No sponsor (not Neptune Systems, nor any other) contacted us about this. This was a completely internal decision made by the staff based on what we have been watching take place.
I can appreciate that & I understand why, but still, this is a Neptune problem, that R2R staff now has to regulate. Sad.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAYYY over due, this should have come out the second people started doing this when Trident was just released. Now it's Almost pointless as Retailers are getting in much larger quantities of Tridents and are limiting the purchases to 1. Makes things a little more difficult for those trying to grab multiple ones...

BUT, happy to see R2R stepping up to curb this kind of behavior, atleast on here anyway :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WAYYY over due, this should have come out the second people started doing this when Trident was just released. Now it's Almost pointless as Retailers are getting in much larger quantities of Tridents and are limiting the purchases to 1. Makes things a little more difficult for those trying to grab multiple ones...
Glad to know retailers are limiting the purchases too. That will definitely help to stop the trend.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price ‘gouging’ is simply a free market response to an imbalance in supply and demand - in that sense it IS a Neptune problem. As supply has grown, and sellers implement more sensible restrictions, the ability for anyone to command a premium above MSRP is disappearing. I think it’s a good practice for R2R to not allow.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first thought this is great. I don’t love how many are listing tridents for absurd mark up and I would hate to see people really taken advantage of.

With that said it feels very wrong to be told how much you can list an item for. This is an agreement between a seller and buyer.

I understand the goal and what you’re trying to avoid but there something not right about this.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought this is great. I don’t love how many are listing tridents for absurd mark up and I would hate to see people really taken advantage of.

With that said it feels very wrong to be told how much you can list an item for. This is an agreement between a seller and buyer.

I understand the goal and what you’re trying to avoid but there something not right about this.
The thing is that buying with the intent to resell (aka flipping) as always been against the Terms of Service on R2R, this is just the first time it has really needed to be applied to dry goods and not corals. Its scalping and other places have similar rules (ticket vendors are the first ones that come to mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back