"Either I Go or The Fish Tank Goes" RIP To My RODI System

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're like me, you fight with your wife once a week about your tank, and your left testicle hangs slightly lower than the right one.

So in an effort to not "ruin my marriage", I decided to retire my RODI system.

While making large quantities of RODI may provide cost savings for many, this wasn't the case for me.

Tank setbacks due to contamination from silicates and whatever else arises due to premature filter expiration issues required huge and money commitments to fix.

But this isn't anywhere close to waking up or coming home to a flooded apt, which we all experience at one time or another and results in big repair costs. I will also not miss the anxiety of wondering whether or not I remembered to shut off the system.

These days I have 5 gallon jugs of distilled water delivered to my home. It costs about $1.25/gallon, which is a small price to pay for not having RODI headaches or anxiety anymore.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks I've had mine on a floater with auto shut off for 2 years with no issues - also powers our drinking water. Just have to check the thing every once in a while.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just put it on a timer?
Having an rodi system for emergency wc is a peace of mind imo

I live in an apt, which limits my storage and installation options. It takes about 45 mins to fill a 5 gall jug/bucket, which means I have to babysit the RODI for 6 hours just to fill 5 - 6 buckets for top offs and a 10 gallon weekly water change.

I tried the brute trash can option, which gave me a false sense of confidence to do stupid things like leave home and run errands when it was 50% filled, or start filling it before going to sleep. I also noticed that the water quality declined after the system produced 25 gallons in one session.

Bucket overflows, the supply line slipping out of the brute can and landing on the floor, waste line in the sink/shower drain becoming dislodged and creating problems were common.

Toward the end I put a timer on my phone. I forgot how sick of removing and replacing various filters in the awkward, clunky undersink setup I had. If I had a basement and could do it right, I'd get a commercial rodi setup as the brs style setup doesn't seem like it was designed for the demands of a reef tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're like me, you fight with your wife once a week about your tank, and your left testicle hangs slightly lower than the right one.

So in an effort to not "ruin my marriage", I decided to retire my RODI system.

While making large quantities of RODI may provide cost savings for many, this wasn't the case for me.

Tank setbacks due to contamination from silicates and whatever else arises due to premature filter expiration issues required huge and money commitments to fix.

But this isn't anywhere close to waking up or coming home to a flooded apt, which we all experience at one time or another and results in big repair costs. I will also not miss the anxiety of wondering whether or not I remembered to shut off the system.

These days I have 5 gallon jugs of distilled water delivered to my home. It costs about $1.25/gallon, which is a small price to pay for not having RODI headaches or anxiety anymore.
Smart man. The best piece of marriage advice I ever received was “If mamma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”. :)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple float valve could have saved you from flooding.

And is it a way sink? I just put my 5g bucket in the wash sink to fill, this way if I forget the water just goes down the sink

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple float valve could have saved you from flooding.

And is it a way sink? I just put my 5g bucket in the wash sink to fill, this way if I forget the water just goes down the sink

The sink is small and has a round-ish shape. I tried the float valve, but was concerned that the canisters would explode due to built up pressure from the booster pump running.

Toward the end, I put the buckets in the shower for a while during fill ups, which worked, but was super intrusive as nobody could use the shower while I was making water.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Reefer1978 said.You mount the float valve to the brute trash can

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mount the float valve to the brute trash can

The Brute cans are the best idea, but imagine having to keep it out in your living room bc there's nowhere else to put it. If you'd believe it, I created a mixing station in the bathroom with some low profile storage tanks and then decided to nix it bc nobody could use the toilet. This hobby is not meant for people living in nyc apts.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Brute cans are the best idea, but imagine having to keep it out in your living room bc there's nowhere else to put it. If you'd believe it, I created a mixing station in the bathroom with some low profile storage tanks and then decided to nix it bc nobody could use the toilet. This hobby is not meant for people living in nyc apts.

It may be a little expensive, but perhaps you could have a tall thin acrylic reservoir fashioned that would fit in a convenient space?

You only need a tallish reservior of some sort to be able to mount a shut off valve. I saw a post where someone turned their ATO reservoir into fashion statement - used a tall glass ewer with a plastic plant inside it next to the tank.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can appreciate your situation (share some of them with you) and feel your anguish I am not about to give up my RO/DI system. I do have to babysit it when filling the storage tank but I do this on water change/tank maintenance day so I'm fooling with the tank most of the day anyhow, and yes, I use my phone as a timer also with multiple alarms for redundancy.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apt, which limits my storage and installation options. It takes about 45 mins to fill a 5 gall jug/bucket, which means I have to babysit the RODI for 6 hours just to fill 5 - 6 buckets for top offs and a 10 gallon weekly water change.

I tried the brute trash can option, which gave me a false sense of confidence to do stupid things like leave home and run errands when it was 50% filled, or start filling it before going to sleep. I also noticed that the water quality declined after the system produced 25 gallons in one session.

Bucket overflows, the supply line slipping out of the brute can and landing on the floor, waste line in the sink/shower drain becoming dislodged and creating problems were common.

Toward the end I put a timer on my phone. I forgot how sick of removing and replacing various filters in the awkward, clunky undersink setup I had. If I had a basement and could do it right, I'd get a commercial rodi setup as the brs style setup doesn't seem like it was designed for the demands of a reef tank.

Have you considered this?

XP Aqua RO/DI Flood Guardian - Electronic Auto Shut Off Valve Kit (AKA The Marriage Saver)

https://www.marinedepot.com/XP_Aqua...ilter_Systems-XP_Aqua-0X5417-FIRORAFV-vi.html

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back