Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fed my fish every day for a few months. Cloves gone forever. Nothing impacted in the reef - corals or fish. It works.

Compare this to a one or two time treatment where tanks had issues.

5 days is not likely enough. This is an over-time treatment.
My guess is you're correct.
Edit - it would assume that fembendazole is released unchanged in feces. Curious - why not just treat the tank?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not guessing. I did this.

I did treat the tank. The other treatments have a huge dose and corals suffered for many. I treated the tank by putting flake food in there for a few months. If the fish ate it, then fine. If not, then also fine. This is a small amount that works over time rather than a huge dose that harms other things.

The guys who recommended this to me have massive amounts of clams and sensitive acropora, not to mention some collector fish. No side effects to speak of.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not guessing. I did this.

I did treat the tank. The other treatments have a huge dose and corals suffered for many. I treated the tank by putting flake food in there for a few months. If the fish ate it, then fine. If not, then also fine. This is a small amount that works over time rather than a huge dose that harms other things.

The guys who recommended this to me have massive amounts of clams and sensitive acropora, not to mention some collector fish. No side effects to speak of.
Thanks!!!! I think it's important for those buying the chemical - to know. Much appreciated:)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop feeding when the cloves look dead and gone. I took a week off from feeding and a few stragglers started to pop their nasty blue heads out. I started feeding again and they disappeared never to return after more time.

I did not have any, but it appears that xenia and other similar types of polyps can also be affected by this. I have just heard these things since I keep none of these things.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just stop feeding when the cloves look dead and gone. I took a week off from feeding and a few stragglers started to pop their nasty blue heads out. I started feeding again and they disappeared never to return after more time.

I did not have any, but it appears that xenia and other similar types of polyps can also be affected by this. I have just heard these things since I keep none of these things.
Would it be possible for you to write a protocol. i.e,

Day one do ....
day two do ....?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish once a day until the polyps look dead and gone. Stop. If they start to come back, feed some more.

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my fish every day for a few months. Cloves gone forever. Nothing impacted in the reef - corals or fish. It works.

Compare this to a one or two time treatment where tanks had issues.

5 days is not likely enough. This is an over-time treatment.
interesting... well last night i decided to go with the panacur and dosed it. ramped up my flow a little bit and surface agitation. so far no issues except the BCP looks angry :)

Myrdin Potter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build up a small dose over time via the flakes, it still will effect all the other inverts that are targeted? So shrimp, snails, urchins, crabs, bristle worms and pods (so Mandarin Gobies) all will be slowly poisoned and die??

I am at the point where I need to treat my tank and I do not have an easy way to move the animals away. From this thread, the large one time dose takes months of water changes to slowly go away. So I assume no pods for quite a while.

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build up a small dose over time via the flakes, it still will effect all the other inverts that are targeted? So shrimp, snails, urchins, crabs, bristle worms and pods (so Mandarin Gobies) all will be slowly poisoned and die??

I am at the point where I need to treat my tank and I do not have an easy way to move the animals away. From this thread, the large one time dose takes months of water changes to slowly go away. So I assume no pods for quite a while.
Pods are fine

They’re unaffected

Bristleworms and snails might well die and I don’t think it will make a difference if you add tiny amounts as you go. Once it reaches a certain level they’ll die.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all manner of inverts in my tanks. I cannot say this enough times, other than the cloves, nothing was impacted by feeding the flake food over time. Nothing.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m dealing with.

IMG_4113.jpeg

Last edited:

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is dead. I did lose 4 SPS colonies, and two LPS colonies… however, I am not sure if I can blame the flake food. I also removed a large amount of Texas trash palys(very toxic) and it stirred up quite a bit of detritus. All in all, it was worth it. Why you might ask? The GSP had killed way more corals than that, and this best had to be removed. I now have buried zoanthids appearing everywhere!! I have been doing steady water changes and running carbon to remove the medicine from the water. So I can tell you it will indeed kill GSP, but do so at your own caution and like many others have mentioned… anything you don’t want to kill, get it out of the aquarium.

nessjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research on this as well. i bought a powerful green laser on Amazon for $75 and was able to zap back some Blue Clove Polyps and tried to control their spread, I also tried adding peppermint shrimp and those didnt help. I finally bought some Fenbendazole on Amazon in 2MG packets and it added the entire packet to a 1 gallon pitcher.
I yanked out all my inverts, or i tried, including nass snails, turbos, etc.. I knew i couldnt get some emerald crabs out as they were hiding under coral colonies. I also pulled out my 3 tangs and potters wrasse as a precaution.
I first dosed half the 2mg/ 1 gallon mix into my 126gal display + 29 gal sump. I made sure to turn on the mp40s at a higher speed to mix it all up. After 24 hours I still saw some BCP that seemed unaffected. So I dosed another 1/4 gal from that pitcher into the display and within the next 24 hours it seemed to take them all out. It didnt effect any of my rock anenomes, candy cane corals or goni/alevpora that i thought would be more sensitive. I was hoping it would take care of my manjanos but it didnt seem to impact them at all. I've learned my lesson with GSP and Xenia in the past and I didnt have any in my tank.
Day 3 I did a 25gallon water change and filled my BRS reactor with carbon. I then added the fish and inverts back in on day 4. (I did not have any shrimp in the tank as I killed them off a month ago by raising the Calc up too fast)

Overall I would do this again, the BCP was spreading from rock to rock in my tank and it was suffocating zoas and some sps.

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's my turn. I've got a pretty bad BCP problem in my 265g peninsula.

I've noticed when I try to mechanically combat the BCP, my skimmer overflows and I get big phos spikes. In fact, one day I scrubbed some on the rocks, and pulled big mats of em off the sand bed - Within an hour ALL THREE of my super healthy Borbonius Anthers were dead. Ugh.

I've removed the turbo and trochus snails that I could find. Lots of nassarius in there that I'll never get to I'm sure.

Fingers crossed that my Euphyllia (especially the torches), clam, zoos, and Acans will be ok. Everything else in my tank is SPS and should be unaffected.

Correct plan is:

dose 1mg/gallon
leave skimmer running (Why would it be shut off? seems some people do so under the guise of avoiding skimming out the fenbenadole, but it seems the evidence suggests that it does no such thing, and if it did, you'd know, right?)
continue kalkwasser dosing
continue calc reactor operation
continue Reefmat operation

If I don't notice any ill effects on the important stuff, I'll likely NOT do a water change, and dose again in 7 days. Then after another week or two, I'll run carbon and do a big water change. Of course, I expect a pretty large nutrient spike, as I have LOTS of bcp, and if the phos gets out of hand, I'll do water changes / Phosgard as required.

If you care to look at the progress, here's my tank live view:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back