EMERGENCY?! TORCH CORAL BAILOUT!!

H4kimWibowo27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Hakim, i'm from Indonesia and i'm 12 years old. So, here's the thing, for a couple days now, one of my torch coral colony has a polyp (with 2 mouths, so, 2 polyps?) That is deflating a bit too much. Usually my coral colonies kind of "deflate" when the lights are out, but not really deflate to the point of the whole thing wobbling in the current. So, this day, i noticed that one side of the polyp was not attached to the skeleton, upon further inspection, i saw mesenterial filaments from under the detached side.
20201002_221155.jpg
20201002_221248.jpg

So i need advice on how to maximize its chances of surviving, if it ever detaches. Thanks!

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Hakim, i'm from Indonesia and i'm 12 years old. So, here's the thing, for a couple days now, one of my torch coral colony has a polyp (with 2 mouths, so, 2 polyps?) That is deflating a bit too much. Usually my coral colonies kind of "deflate" when the lights are out, but not really deflate to the point of the whole thing wobbling in the current. So, this day, i noticed that one side of the polyp was not attached to the skeleton, upon further inspection, i saw mesenterial filaments from under the detached side.
20201002_221155.jpg
20201002_221248.jpg

So i need advice on how to maximize its chances of surviving, if it ever detaches. Thanks!
If it is indeed committing polyp bailout there really isn't much you can do. My best advice is to try and lower its position in the tank or lower direct flow from hitting it. I'm not to sure I have only kept two types of LPS in my time in the hobby hammer coral and Alveopora. but only my Alveopora remains. but I was able to extend my hammer's life by putting it in lower less intense conditions maybe that will help. If not then it could be an internal issue and a parasite is irritating the coral.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is extremely peculiar, the other head looks fine. If it was a water quality issue both heads would look more or less the same. my best guess is that its a parasite.

OP
OP
H4kimWibowo27

H4kimWibowo27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is indeed committing polyp bailout there really isn't much you can do. My best advice is to try and lower its position in the tank or lower direct flow from hitting it. I'm not to sure I have only kept two types of LPS in my time in the hobby hammer coral and Alveopora. but only my Alveopora remains. but I was able to extend my hammer's life by putting it in lower less intense conditions maybe that will help. If not then it could be an internal issue and a parasite is irritating the coral.
Hmmmm, okay... if there is a parasite, my best guess are flat worms, is it possible to treat them with medications? And i know there isn't much i can do during the bailout, but how may i maximize its chances of surviving after the bailout?

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After bailout that polyp is dead and their is nothing you can really do without harming other things in your system. So just try to save the other head.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201002_221155.jpg
20201002_221248.jpg

Polyp bailout is caused by stress or Reproduction.
Either way, the polyp is viable, given good conditions
Google it to learn more

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back