Emergency treatment for potter's angel

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy a little over a week ago. Had Popeyein one eye at purchase but a FW dip didn't find any flukes,looked great otherwise. I put him in a QT that was cycled with to other fish. Popeye got better and after a couple days started eating and developing the normal angel behaviors.

Doses meladoz and limafix starting 3 days ago to help finish clearing thr Popeye and trewt fun damage to the springer damsel. Potters continues to look fine until yesterday. Seems much more reclusive, breathing rapidly, stopped eating. Trigger and damsel still look great. Fins and skin on angel look good. Thought it could be o2 deprivation so transferred to another holding tank last night. This morning lasting on the bottom breathing super rapidly. Fins and body all look good. Currently doing a reef rally bath.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I did get 3 days of feeding metro/focus with selcon and lrs in before this started.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got this guy a little over a week ago. Had Popeyein one eye at purchase but a FW dip didn't find any flukes,looked great otherwise. I put him in a QT that was cycled with to other fish. Popeye got better and after a couple days started eating and developing the normal angel behaviors.

Doses meladoz and limafix starting 3 days ago to help finish clearing thr Popeye and trewt fun damage to the springer damsel. Potters continues to look fine until yesterday. Seems much more reclusive, breathing rapidly, stopped eating. Trigger and damsel still look great. Fins and skin on angel look good. Thought it could be o2 deprivation so transferred to another holding tank last night. This morning lasting on the bottom breathing super rapidly. Fins and body all look good. Currently doing a reef rally bath.
Rally is good. I question though what is causing it to breathe rapidly such as ich, velvet, or other condition.
Can you provide parameters and pics under white light?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally is good. I question though what is causing it to breathe rapidly such as ich, velvet, or other condition.
Can you provide parameters and pics under white light?
I could not see any spots on him during the week in qt. The trigger and damsel still look good, no spots.

Being a cycled qt I don't test much. Just SG which is at 1.025, was in 1.027 at lfs. Temp 78. Seachem badge shows no ammonia.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210128_084903.jpg

Blurry but this was him a few days ago with the popeye

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm pretty sure it's dead. No clue why or what I should do to make sure it's isolated to this guy and won't infext the others in the qt.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20210131_100732.jpg
20210131_100741.jpg

Now in the bath. Waters tinted from ruby reef.
Behind the eye and above the fin shows bacteria or dropsy. This is alot of moving around which is stressing fish.
Unfortunately, ammonia badges and test strips atr unreliable as they are intended for both fresh and saltwater use as is API test kiys which are notorious for false readings letting Many reefers down.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a small area behind the eye yesterday for the first time. Thought it might have rubbed a rock didn't look to bad

I know the badges and ati aren't the best. What do others use for qt? I know once you start copper the kits are unreliable correct?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20210128_084903.jpg

Blurry but this was him a few days ago with the popeye
Potters are perhaps the most susceptible dwarf angel to ich and velvet. They typically die if it's present within 1-3 months with 3-5 weeks being average. If velvet it can be in 2-3 weeks if untreated.
My suspicion is still velvet as velvet dinospores will usually invade the gills first and sometimes kill the fish right then due to asphyxiation. If this happens, you may never see physical evidence of velvet on the skin & fins. Therefore, it is important to observe for some key behavioral symptoms of velvet:
-Reduced or complete loss of appetite
- Heavy breathing, scratching, flashing, head twitching, erratic swimming behavior
- Swimming into the flow of a water pump/wavemaker/powerhead (unique to velvet)
- Acting reclusive as velvet causes fish to be sensitive to light

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did see a small area behind the eye yesterday for the first time. Thought it might have rubbed a rock didn't look to bad

I know the badges and ati aren't the best. What do others use for qt? I know once you start copper the kits are unreliable correct?
Most copper kits are reliable. . . sad to say, even the API copper kit. Any time using copper, a test kit is necessary from the start

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters are perhaps the most susceptible dwarf angel to ich and velvet. They typically die if it's present within 1-3 months with 3-5 weeks being average. If velvet it can be in 2-3 weeks if untreated.
My suspicion is still velvet as velvet dinospores will usually invade the gills first and sometimes kill the fish right then due to asphyxiation. If this happens, you may never see physical evidence of velvet on the skin & fins. Therefore, it is important to observe for some key behavioral symptoms of velvet:
-Reduced or complete loss of appetite
- Heavy breathing, scratching, flashing, head twitching, erratic swimming behavior
- Swimming into the flow of a water pump/wavemaker/powerhead (unique to velvet)
- Acting reclusive as velvet causes fish to be sensitive to light
He came in not eating, spent 36 hours at the lfs to hold for me. Took 2 or 3 days to start eating in my qt and begin acting normal.

Then lost his appetite yesterday, breathing rapidly yesterday, hiding yesterday. His swimming also became weak and was very easy to catch yesterday.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most copper kits are reliable. . . sad to say, even the API copper kit. Any time using copper, a test kit is necessary from the start
Oops my typo there. I meant to say ammonia kits while in copper.

For copper I have a hanna checker that I've used to put other fish through with copper power.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He came in not eating, spent 36 hours at the lfs to hold for me. Took 2 or 3 days to start eating in my qt and begin acting normal.

Then lost his appetite yesterday, breathing rapidly yesterday, hiding yesterday. His swimming also became weak and was very easy to catch yesterday.
Thats too bad. This is a wish list fish for many based on their peacefullness and beauty.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats too bad. This is a wish list fish for many based on their peacefullness and beauty.
Yes was a dream fish of mine for many years. With the Hawaii ban idk when I'd get another chance.

What would be my best course of action at this point? I did dose prazipro to the remaining 2 fish last night to make sure it wasn't flukes in the gills. The potters was FW dipped in the beginning to rule out flukes for the Popeye.

Should I wait my week, do my second praI treatment then start copper, or should I start copper immediately?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes was a dream fish of mine for many years. With the Hawaii ban idk when I'd get another chance.

What would be my best course of action at this point? I did dose prazipro to the remaining 2 fish last night to make sure it wasn't flukes in the gills. The potters was FW dipped in the beginning to rule out flukes for the Popeye.

Should I wait my week, do my second praI treatment then start copper, or should I start copper immediately?
I want to say either Chloroquine phosphate or Copper.

I always like second opinions. Lets see if @Jay Hemdal can chime in

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos on the deceased. Looka like 1 gill is very damaged, other 1 not so bad.
20210131_114329.jpg
20210131_114334.jpg
20210131_114341.jpg

Attachments

• 20210131_114346.jpg
    20210131_114346.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry! :( I had a beautiful fat one over a year and lost it from an accident trying to QT fish getting ready for an upgrade. I could just kick myself every day. Ugh.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry! :( I had a beautiful fat one over a year and lost it from an accident trying to QT fish getting ready for an upgrade. I could just kick myself every day. Ugh.
That would be terrible. I had that happen with a coral beauty before, so upsetting when it's you own fault.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back