Emperor Angel in qt - Velvet or flukes?

Tarun21tp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to video -

This is my Emperor Angel in qt with a tomato clown and a bicolor blenny. Fish has been in qt for 8 days with coppersafe at 1.80 ppm. Till today morning it was fine and eating well.
2 hrs back it was scratching on its left gill and floating on the left side near the surface . Suspecting that it may have gill flukes, I have given it a freshwater dip(about half packet of general cure in tap water mixed with salt water, total tds - 1000). It has gone back into coppersafe which I’ve increased to 2.10 ppm now post the dip.
Is the fish having velvet, ick or flukes? I cannot see any distinct ick spots though. But I do fear velvet. Though I am surprised how velvet can appear after 8 days.
The fish seems to be doing better after the prazi dip.
Regards
Tarun from India.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to video -

This is my Emperor Angel in qt with a tomato clown and a bicolor blenny. Fish has been in qt for 8 days with coppersafe at 1.80 ppm. Till today morning it was fine and eating well.
2 hrs back it was scratching on its left gill and floating on the left side near the surface . Suspecting that it may have gill flukes, I have given it a freshwater dip(about half packet of general cure in tap water mixed with salt water, total tds - 1000). It has gone back into coppersafe which I’ve increased to 2.10 ppm now post the dip.
Is the fish having velvet, ick or flukes? I cannot see any distinct ick spots though. But I do fear velvet. Though I am surprised how velvet can appear after 8 days.
The fish seems to be doing better after the prazi dip.
Regards
Tarun from India.

Coppersafe really needs to be dosed above 2.0 ppm. I use 2.5 as my standard dose.
Don’t use general cure in a freshwater dip, the contact time is too short. Still - the freshwater alone will but you some time if it is gill flukes.
I think this is velvet due to being low in copper, based on the rapid onset. Symptoms from gill flukes come on more gradually.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back