Emperor Angel with velvet

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit in both tanks. I am taking 10 gal out of the 36 gal today and 5 in the 10 gal all I have water for riggt now. My disply had stress coat in it too when I was trying to catch them..so had to make new water
Ouch. try to put all fishes in that 10g for now until you have enough water to replace all the water on your 36 gal

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhh I can't put them all in there tell be dead by morning. Ammonia will spike by morning and the emperor is just to big to fit in there literally

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have more water in 7 hours when I get up in the morning I will do another waterchange

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask something. Do you think I should just do a waterchange and put no copper in it? The more copper i put in the more copper that will infuse with the stress coat right? And then in 7 hours I can do like like a 80%waterchange. And put the copper in then? Just suggesting. I'm not to sure. I just don't really want them to mix and get toxic

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back to page 8 to look at the pictures again and I see you have a puffer? in your 10 gal? Also, your emperor seems to be in a really bad shape. Keeping him inside your 36 gal with stresscoat+cupramine (toxic) would be worse than just putting him back in your DT.
Although 10 gal is small for an 8" fish, I would just give it a shot since it's only for 7 hours. Remember, you transport fish from LFS or even have them shipped in a plastic bag for several hours.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask something. Do you think I should just do a waterchange and put no copper in it? The more copper i put in the more copper that will infuse with the stress coat right? And then in 7 hours I can do like like a 80%waterchange. And put the copper in then? Just suggesting. I'm not to sure. I just don't really want them to mix and get toxic
You could just put him back in your DT (if you can still run it) which would be the same deal.
I would completely drain that 36 gal out to remove all of the chemicals in there and clean it with some freshwater before refilling it with newly made water. Please do not take any shortcuts and do partial or even large W/C.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would completely drain that 36 gal out to remove all of the chemicals in there and clean it with some freshwater before refilling it with newly made water. Please do not take any shortcuts and do partial or even large W/C.

^^ I basically agree with this, although I think you could put the fish in a bucket (temporarily), do a 80-90% WC on the QT and then resume with the copper. Get it back up to the same level it is now (0.25 ppm) before adding the fish back to the QT. I base this answer upon people I've helped in the past who did the same thing (added an ammonia reducer to a QT with copper), and this strategy seems to have always worked. You can worry about getting it up to 0.5 sometime tomorrow. Not a perfect answer I know considering the situation (velvet), but it's the lesser of two evils at this point.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I basically agree with this, although I think you could put the fish in a bucket (temporarily), do a 80-90% WC on the QT and then resume with the copper. Get it back up to the same level it is now (0.25 ppm) before adding the fish back to the QT. I base this answer upon people I've helped in the past who did the same thing (added an ammonia reducer to a QT with copper), and this strategy seems to have always worked. You can worry about getting it up to 0.5 sometime tomorrow. Not a perfect answer I know considering the situation (velvet), but it's the lesser of two evils at this point.
Well he is in the process of doing a complete w/c on his 10 gal tank as we speak, that's why I recommended putting the emperor there until he get things sorted out with his 36 gal tomorrow. He thinks the tank is too small for the fish and I was trying to explain how they are shipped in a small plastic bag for hours lol

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the angel past last night and all the other fish arnt moving at all or eating or doing anything.. so I just took all my fish out of my dt and put them in even more danger. Idk what's going on I knew doing a qt tank wasn't going to work right for me. I have plenty of air movement filter.. ammonia 0..

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear of your lost . Well for the remainder of the fish you should still keep up with the daily water change and test the copper level daily. Soaking the food in Garlic Extreme before feeding could lure them to eat. But do not over feed. Take out whatever food is not eaten

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear that. QT is not to blame here but marine velvet, you can look it up and how fast it can kill them once it reaches those advanced stages.
We were also dealing with copper mixed with stress coat you had in the tank that made the water toxic.
Try to get the water and perimeters right on the hospital tank as your priority for now and let your DT go fallow for 78 days. Wish you luck with the remaining fishes, I hope they make it through this.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the other fish had it in a bad stage. It's like when they went in the qt that was it. I mean I did a 100% water change idk why there acting like this. I'm not blaming you lol you all gave me great advise. I just hate watching the fish die and nothing I could do to help

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your loss. :( I can tell you from experience that fish with velvet can seem OK and then be dead in the morning. The dinospores invade their gills, excessive fluid builds up and the fish dies due to asphyxiation. It took me months of experimenting, and I lost many fish with velvet before I finally developed this protocol: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/defeating-marine-velvet-disease.217570/

I tried just treating with Chloroquine (superior to copper) and the fish always died.

Then I thought I could just perform a FW dip plus Chloroquine, and still the fish always died.

I finally figured out I had to perform the FW dip, then administer a chemical bath, plus treat with Chloroquine and antibiotics... the fish stopped dying. There just seems to be no other way with velvet. A colleague is running parallel experimentation using copper in lieu of Chloroquine, and is having good results as well. :)

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the angel past last night and all the other fish arnt moving at all or eating or doing anything.. so I just took all my fish out of my dt and put them in even more danger. Idk what's going on I knew doing a qt tank wasn't going to work right for me. I have plenty of air movement filter.. ammonia 0..
Sorry to hear bud. QT was your only chance. I hate to say it, but i think that stress coat did you in. Also how advanced that velvet was. But, look at how MUCH you learned. You now have copper on hand, you know how to setup a QT, but most importantly you have realized how important it is to QT ANYTHING before it hits the DT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for you loss. Everybody is right. You've learned a lot doing this. Your future fish will have a much better change because of this. Keep your chin up and remember that. Plus, somebody else might learn something from this thread and that is something to be happy about.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would go out and get at least a 40 breeder and an oversized filter and start running and cycling a QT tank. This setup is what I use and had to set up in an emergency like you had.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back