OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test for free ammonia with a seachem alert, actually still have it hanging. It was fun to watch the enormous spike which lasted only 4 days.
Any signs of mantis and gorilla crabs yet?
No sign but something cleaned out the scallop. You can see the trail to and from it on the glass.
The Turbo 900 helps keep the ammonia spike to a minimum from past system setups, imo, although I never test for it.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
I moved a piece of rock and touched a red sponge. The water turned red. So I removed each rock and scraped off many red sponge that turned to mush. I did not want them in the system as they died.
Its been awhile since I have had rock straight from the ocean.
There was quite a bit of life, more than expected.
I removed at least 10 bivlaves some alive some dead. Many were covered in the red sponge.
There are maybe 6-7 left.
Probably should have removed before I put the rock in.
So the system can now deal with whatever remains and the scape is pretty much set now. The highest point of the scape is about 8".
I did see a handfull of hermit crabs but no others.
Also 150lbs of rock displaced 9 gallons of water so system is now around 150g's total and the display holds about 125g's down from 135.
Pic of the scape. About exactly what I was going for.
20240418_130423.jpg

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome brother!
looks like super high quality live rock, wow
Yea the rock is great. I will wait 3-4 weeks then start to populate the system with acros.
I am going to order the ext 50 for my frag system in a few days.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so satisfying to see. Would love to have the live rock option here.
Were the red sponges dead, or close to due to the transit?

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so satis,fying to see. Would love to have the live rock option here.
Were the red sponges dead, or close to due to the transit?
They looked alive upon arrival.
Sponge dont do well out of water. Some die off is expected when the system is new.

This morning the tank is almost clear. I can count 15+ hermit crabs, still no larger type.

Removing the dead matter yesterday helped. Their is no more smell this morning. This is exactly what I did in the 90's when rock from overseas was shipped in wet paper. Much less die off with the GLR method as turn around is only 24 hrs.

I counted 12 bivalves that looked good this morning. I had to remove a few live ones as they were covered in red dying sponge yesterday.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed the tall orange sponge yesterday. It had some areas that looked dead. When I took it out I squeezed it and orange liquid was everyhere. I have 4 other smaller pieces and will watch them as time goes by.

I did reduce par as it was 350-400 at the top of the rocks.
I am at all channels at 50%, except white at 60%, and I am getting 250-300 par and will run it there for awhile. I will adjust when acros are added. The extra 10% gives a whiter look I like. I also tried all at 50% and white at 100% and the tank had a very halide look, lol.
Par jumped to 300-370 acros the rock.
Tank has a nice halide like shimmer, lol. I am not a real fan of shimmer but minimal looks good to me.

I also added 5 more turbos for 10 total and 20 more astreas for 25 total.

Once I see some daily alk useage I will start with esv 2 part.
One pic from one end.
Lights are now 1.5hr up/down & 6hrs peak for now.
20240419_152605.jpg

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed the tall orange sponge yesterday. It had some areas that looked dead. When I took it out I squeezed it and orange liquid was everyhere. I have 4 other smaller pieces and will watch them as time goes by.

I did reduce par as it was 350-400 at the top of the rocks.
I am at all channels at 50%, except white at 60%, and I am getting 250-300 par and will run it there for awhile. I will adjust when acros are added. The extra 10% gives a whiter look I like. I also tried all at 50% and white at 100% and the tank had a very halide look, lol.
Par jumped to 300-370 acros the rock.
Tank has a nice halide like shimmer, lol. I am not a real fan of shimmer but minimal looks good to me.

I also added 5 more turbos for 10 total and 20 more astreas for 25 total.

Once I see some daily alk useage I will start with esv 2 part.
One pic from one end.
Lights are now 1.5hr up/down & 6hrs peak for now.
20240419_152605.jpg
I didn’t have any of the sponge dye issues. Still lots of tunicates. I did have and still do, a bloom of what I think are diatoms. Thinking my rodi has silicates. After I changed water, it bloomed. Lights out and waiting for a silica test. I stirred it again to get it to collect in the filter. It seems that it’s relatively clear at night but this morning as the room gets brighter, the water starts having a brownish hue and starting on the sand. LFS believes it to be diatoms and not Dino’s. But if it’s silica now in the system, wondering if I should use more silica absorber. But will wait till I know.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t have any of the sponge dye issues. Still lots of tunicates. I did have and still do, a bloom of what I think are diatoms. Thinking my rodi has silicates. After I changed water, it bloomed. Lights out and waiting for a silica test. I stirred it again to get it to collect in the filter. It seems that it’s relatively clear at night but this morning as the room gets brighter, the water starts having a brownish hue and starting on the sand. LFS believes it to be diatoms and not Dino’s. But if it’s silica now in the system, wondering if I should use more silica absorber. But will wait till I know.
All my current sponge tree like, look good, red and orange.
The premium rock had way more life than I expected.
Their are several types of sponge under the rock structure, red, orange, brown, black, and others. Snails are cleaning the rock of different algae. They now are showing alot of coralline and color.
My po4 was .47 but expected with the die off.
When I had sand in systems I always had a diamond goby. It kept the sand turned over.
I have never monitored silicates so no experience.
Sponge need silicates as do algae and other organisms so make sure you dont bottom them out if you use a reducer.
Many of the tree like sponge dont live long in many aquariums 12-18 months at best.
Most of the sponge grown in other tanks of mine were under rocks with minimal light. It will be interesting to see if I have success with the current tree like ones in my system.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my current sponge tree like, look good, red and orange.
The premium rock had way more life than I expected.
Their are several types of sponge under the rock structure, red, orange, brown, black, and others. Snails are cleaning the rock of different algae. They now are showing alot of coralline and color.
My po4 was .47 but expected with the die off.
When I had sand in systems I always had a diamond goby. It kept the sand turned over.
I have never monitored silicates so no experience.
Sponge need silicates as do algae and other organisms so make sure you dont bottom them out if you use a reducer.
Many of the tree like sponge dont live long in many aquariums 12-18 months at best.
Most of the sponge grown in other tanks of mine were under rocks with minimal light. It will be interesting to see if I have success with the current tree like ones in my system.
Yeah, my LFS didn’t think I would bottom out po4. But IDK. The brownish water hue came when I put the sea gel and phosguard in. My system should be pretty high in nutrients and the nitrates were high. Dropping 2 raw clams or raw shrimp in once a day. I’ll have to take a picture when I get home of the new zebra snail. It’s big. It’s in the sump right now. Was thinking to place a rock in there for it to deep clean. Or I could place on a rock for 15 minutes to feed each day. Supposed to be great for GHA

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my LFS didn’t think I would bottom out po4. But IDK. The brownish water hue came when I put the sea gel and phosguard in. My system should be pretty high in nutrients and the nitrates were high. Dropping 2 raw clams or raw shrimp in once a day. I’ll have to take a picture when I get home of the new zebra snail. It’s big. It’s in the sump right now. Was thinking to place a rock in there for it to deep clean. Or I could place on a rock for 15 minutes to feed each day. Supposed to be great for GHA
Why are you, or what are you, feeding with the clams and shrimp?

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today added
10 Trochus
10 Astrea
8 Emerald crabs

So:
25 Astrea
10 Trocbus
10 Turbos
8 Emerald crabs
About 15 hermit crabs

This is the current cleanup crew for now.
Tank is still not clear but blowing off the rocks is needed for a few weeks.
Pic from each end.
20240421_114112.jpg

20240421_114101.jpg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man! Youre doing it right.
Wow, 8 emeralds, thats a number.

Wish me luck, im in the hospital right now for girl number 3.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report. Tank looks good. All the cleanup crew are doing their job, lol. I am going to get 5 peppermint shrimp this week.
Saw one aptasia yesterday.

The ext 50 has arrived! I put the stand together yesterday. I need to order some 8020 for the frame behind the stand. It will be similar to the 170. The light bar will be holding 3 xr15 gen 5 blues.
Also need to shim one side of the stand to make it level.
Need to order Tunze ato and ato res. Also Aqualogic temp controller, and heater, and a couple ADJ strips.

I may put 2" euro bracing on this system to match the 170. The real reason is I do not like rimless tanks. Yes they look good but the tank is in a corner and past rimless tanks spill alot of water when working in them, at least for me.
Skimmer is pulling some nice skim, lol.
20240423_141757.jpg
20240424_070855.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Nyos nitrate test kit in today.
Some measurements.
Sg 1.026 @ 77°F
Alk 9.3
Ca 420
Mag 1320
No3-5
Po4-.5
I am letting alk go down to 7.5.
I added some Phosgaurd to bring po4 down.
My po4 target is <.1 with 1.5 max.
Rock is looking good so far.
20240424_150127.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back