Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX is this something I can do in HOB tank? No over flow or skimmer? Also the one tank you posted with the t5 fixture makes me want to throw out my LED lights haha T5 just seems so “set it and forget it”

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX

Thank you this treatment. Another tool in the reef arsenal. I have a couple questions.

1. I'd like to do this for cyano treatment. I have cyano in the tank. I added Bac7 to a dose pump and doses daily. Do I still need to mix Bac7 with the CC? If so I suppose I should turn off the pump for that day.

2. Referring to "1.", how often should I do this to treat a cyano outbreak, then what is the dosing schedule to keep cyano from forming, or will the Bac7 take care of a future outbreak?

I have ~1 reef experience, so new to the hobby.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave this a shot for the first time yesterday. Currently dealing with moderate-severe cyano and touch of dinos.

After 1st Treatment:

Mixture:
5mL of DIY Coral Snow with 10 or so drops of PNS Probio (14 gallon setup)

Tank has looked better than it has in weeks. Cyano coverage was similar or slightly less (Wasn't expecting overnight results). The live rock looked less "ugly" for lack of a better term. I think this stuff does do a good job of blanketing surfaces with the mixture, delivering bacteria more precisely as intended.

PE was the best I've seen it in weeks, wondering if others have noticed this after treatment?

Water clarity was roughly the same, but it was good before treatment..and I'm more interested in cyano reduction.

Fish were DEFINATLY confused :)

Will continue as part of the weekly WC routine.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave this a shot for the first time yesterday. Currently dealing with moderate-severe cyano and touch of dinos.

After 1st Treatment:

Mixture:
5mL of DIY Coral Snow with 10 or so drops of PNS Probio (14 gallon setup)

Tank has looked better than it has in weeks. Cyano coverage was similar or slightly less (Wasn't expecting overnight results). The live rock looked less "ugly" for lack of a better term. I think this stuff does do a good job of blanketing surfaces with the mixture, delivering bacteria more precisely as intended.

PE was the best I've seen it in weeks, wondering if others have noticed this after treatment?

Water clarity was roughly the same, but it was good before treatment..and I'm more interested in cyano reduction.

Fish were DEFINATLY confused :)

Will continue as part of the weekly WC routine.
Seeing how you used 5 ml in a 14 setup I wonder if my results aren’t that great as I am using 5ml in 47 gallon water volume.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how you used 5 ml in a 14 setup I wonder if my results aren’t that great as I am using 5ml in 47 gallon water volume.
Yeah I know that was quite above the initial recommended dose - based off the ingredients I didn’t expect any chance of some kind of overdose. 1mL seemed like it wouldn’t be near enough to have any significant impact.

Doesn’t really seem like something you could really overdose..take that with a grain of salt, I may just be a risk taker lol..

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know that was quite above the initial recommended dose - based off the ingredients I didn’t expect any chance of some kind of overdose. 1mL seemed like it wouldn’t be near enough to have any significant impact.

Doesn’t really seem like something you could really overdose..take that with a grain of salt, I may just be a risk taker lol..
With that in mind I did try 8 ml last night. I’ll see if there’s a difference when I get home from work and my lights are on.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly calcium carbonate particulates could be overdosed. In the extreme the whole tank becomes mud as opposed to free flowing water. lol

But jokes aside, export of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, organics and phosphate by binding to the bare CaCO3 surfaces is certainly a potential concern at high doses.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks! I have scrolled through all 34 pages but I may have missed if this was already asked.
Obviously, how long it takes to get your water to crystal clear depends on the individual tank, but I'm wondering how long it took with yours to be truly impressed by the clarity of the water?
Thanks!

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an exact measurement in grams per tablespoon of powder?
Hello,

I would dose 1 teaspoon per 50gl of system volume.

Hi folks! I have scrolled through all 34 pages but I may have missed if this was already asked.
Obviously, how long it takes to get your water to crystal clear depends on the individual tank, but I'm wondering how long it took with yours to be truly impressed by the clarity of the water?
Thanks!

Depends on the system and how dirty the water is to begin with. Give it a shot and let us know. :)

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the system and how dirty the water is to begin with. Give it a shot and let us know. :)

Hello,

I would dose 1 teaspoon per 50gl of system volume.

@SunnyX
Thanks. I kinda figured it depended on that. I was just wondering how long it took for peoples individual tanks.

I did try it. My tank was already very clear to begin with (I'm using a Reef Mat w/ carbon in the basket, a protein skimmer, and a DIY algae scrubber) and to be honest, I did not see much of a difference after the calcium carbonate cleared up. Not to say your awesome suggestion does not work (your tank is proof that it does)...I just didn't see a huge difference in my own tank.
Thanks again!!

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can more than one bacteria be used at the same time? Perhaps speed things up. Example, MB7 and KZ

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I thought I had pretty clear water. I dosed this recipe for the first time Sunday and have to say I noticed a difference in clarity once the cloudiness went away. That took 3-4 hours. Very impressed and will be doing this after each water change.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if this one can be used- and what the mixing ratio should be for clarity?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211-222744.png
    Screenshot_20231211-222744.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20231211-222757.png
    Screenshot_20231211-222757.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20231211-222812.png
    Screenshot_20231211-222812.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 62

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back