Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have just made up 500ml looking forward to seeing the results!

Attachments

• 20220608_164215.jpg
    20220608_164215.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 241

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

For those of us who don't use skimmers, we can still do this by relying on filter socks to remove the bound particulates?

Will regular floss remove them?

If regular floss will work, then I could just run a diy maxijet filter setup in-tank to clear it all up quick. It's one of those simple setups with a small powerhead with Gatorade (or similar) bottle with the bottom cut off attached to the pump and then stuffed full of floss. It would have a tremendously higher turnover rate than waiting on my floss or filter socks in the sump to get it all out.

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

For those of us who don't use skimmers, we can still do this by relying on filter socks to remove the bound particulates?

Will regular floss remove them?

If regular floss will work, then I could just run a diy maxijet filter setup in-tank to clear it all up quick. It's one of those simple setups with a small powerhead with Gatorade (or similar) bottle with the bottom cut off attached to the pump and then stuffed full of floss. It would have a tremendously higher turnover rate than waiting on my floss or filter socks in the sump to get it all out.
curious about this as i would need to run a similar type setup

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post OP! Following!
For those who need reference, I use KZ coral snow for two tanks, neither have a skimmer and both use a single 4x4 filter floss pad to clear the water in several hours (I use it overnight). I actually use this bc I don’t have skimmers and don’t always want to use carbon 24/7. The tanks are 20g and 32g. I use it maybe once every week or two for water clarity according to bottle instructions (1ml / 25g I believe)

OP, think there are any pH benefits to this stuff? The kz bottle says “neutralizes undesirable acids” which was another reason I used at night to combat lower pH in theory

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought something I read mentioned that Coral Snow lowers phosphate. Is this something to worry about if you already have low phosphate levels?

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought something I read mentioned that Coral Snow lowers phosphate. Is this something to worry about if you already have low phosphate levels?
I think they state that as a benefit of coral snow plus over the original coral snow, although not sure what the ingredient in the plus is which does it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give this a try. I have pretty clear water the majority of time, but sometimes I feel it could be a little more clear.

Thanks for the tip. Overall seems really inexpensive as well. Speaking of which, I need to get into this aquarium mark up game. :D

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give this a try. I have pretty clear water the majority of time, but sometimes I feel it could be a little more clear.

Thanks for the tip. Overall seems really inexpensive as well. Speaking of which, I need to get into this aquarium mark up game. :D

Just come up with a fancy name and bottle and you can count on us chemistry ignorant hobbyists to make you rich!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they state that as a benefit of coral snow plus over the original coral snow, although not sure what the ingredient in the plus is which does it.
Phosphate binds to calcium carbonate and is probably the reason so many dry rock dry sand setups are deficient. It can work the other way though, if the calcium carbonate is high in phosphate it will leach phosphate as opposed to bind it.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post OP! Following!
For those who need reference, I use KZ coral snow for two tanks, neither have a skimmer and both use a single 4x4 filter floss pad to clear the water in several hours (I use it overnight). I actually use this bc I don’t have skimmers and don’t always want to use carbon 24/7. The tanks are 20g and 32g. I use it maybe once every week or two for water clarity according to bottle instructions (1ml / 25g I believe)

OP, think there are any pH benefits to this stuff? The kz bottle says “neutralizes undesirable acids” which was another reason I used at night to combat lower pH in theory

Organics can affect your ph so by removing and preventing them breaking down it should help maintain a stable ph. You would need a chemist to comment on what if any acids are neutralized.

Nice to know that you can have good results without a skimmer. That should open things up a bit and be used by a wider audience.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just come up with a fancy name and bottle and you can count on us chemistry ignorant hobbyists to make you rich!

Well, I still have the Pro Corals name…… Pro Corals Snow! :p

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am happy that we have such enthusiasm towards this dosing. Please note that this is only a small piece of the puzzle and won’t cure all your ills or turn your setup into a world class aquarium. There is a lot that goes into an aquarium and this along with proper maintenance and care will go a long way towards success.

As previously stated, I plan on releasing many more articles that you will hopefully find of use. The next article will be on carbon and bacteria dosing, the bedrock and foundation of my systems.

I’ve learned quite a bit over 25 years, some from books and forums but mainly through trial and error. Looking forward to aiding as many as I can.

As a sidenote, with daily use the coral snow will help to kill off vermentid snails by reducing the amount of free floating organics.

-Sonny

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am happy that we have such enthusiasm towards this dosing. Please note that this is only a small piece of the puzzle and won’t cure all your ills or turn your setup into a world class aquarium. There is a lot that goes into an aquarium and this along with proper maintenance and care will go a long way towards success.

As previously stated, I plan on releasing many more articles that you will hopefully find of use. The next article will be on carbon and bacteria dosing, the bedrock and foundation of my systems.

I’ve learned quite a bit over 25 years, some from books and forums but mainly through trial and error. Looking forward to aiding as many as I can.

As a sidenote, with daily use the coral snow will help to kill off vermentid snails by reducing the amount of free floating organics.

-Sonny
Reefing hacks! Letsss go lol , thanks for your contributions looking forward to hearing more. I am not keen on carbon dosing yet , anemones don’t seem to like it

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it might lower temporarily as mine dropped last night and this am. I cleaned my glass a couple hrs ago and used again as it was hard to tell at night if it helped or not. Waiting for it to clear and will watch the ph which is back to 8. Will see if it drops. Usually my tank is between 8 and 8.1

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

-Sonny
Excellent thread. My tank is pretty darn clean. Glass takes about 12 days before any noticeable film algae appears but always looking for that little extra cleanliness. Question is I just want to have my math checked. I have some MB7 and plan on using it based on your recommendation but it does not have a dropper cap. Using some numbers I found in the MB7 instructions 4 drops per gallon or 5ml per 25gal equates too 100 drops = 5ml. Based on your recommendation of 10 drops per 5ml of Coral Snow, for 250gal of total water volume I would add 2.5ml of MB7 to 25ml of Coral Snow? Seems like a small amount of MB7 so just need my math double checked.
By the way I too am carbon dosing with a DIY recipe and have really good results.
Thank you.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back