Extruded Aluminum Stand vs Wood Stand

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. The stand of the big tank is completely made out of wood and skinned with acrylic sheets. Wood is super easy to work with and a lot cheaper than aluminum. However, if I was planning an in-wall tank that’s gonna be staying out for 20 years or so I would most likely do aluminum or powder coated steel.

1695114782772.jpeg

1695114801148.jpeg
Nice! Is that the Giesemann fixture with LEDs or t5?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price of 80/20 aluminum go make yourself a steel stand out of angle iron. Lasts forever. Or have someone local fab one up if you don’t have tools. Way way cheaper

I like plywood too

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8020.net for all the extrusions and fasteners. Their proprietary Anchor fasteners seem to be the strongest available that I was able to find. The leveling feet are 316 SS from McMaster Carr. The starboard was purchased locally and cutout with a water jet.
What size did you go with?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going with aluminum extrusion myself, there is no way I will ever go back to anything else. No comparison. lol The black anodized is the way to go man. It's sweet.

*Don't just buy cut sections and try to gusset the pieces together. Have them machine for the proper fasteners or you will likely regret it and be very embarrassed. Gussets are not an attachment mechanism. They are a stability mechanism. I've seen a couple people do this now and they're gonna pay the price.* Ok, I had to say that because...people. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Get the leveling casters. If you ever need to move your tank, you can carefully roll it and set it back down on strong rubber feet. If you have a much larger tank like the gentleman above, don't get the casters because rolling a tank that large might be impossible and rolling it over an uneven floor would not be the thing to do.

And go bigger than you need. Because why not.

If there is any regret I have with mine it's that I cut it too close with my sump length and now I have to move the mounting channel in the lower extrusion more outboard so the side panels will fit. But I was greedy, so I'll take that and it's no problem. lol

I went with Alufab.

1695345393566.jpeg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. The stand of the big tank is completely made out of wood and skinned with acrylic sheets. Wood is super easy to work with and a lot cheaper than aluminum. However, if I was planning an in-wall tank that’s gonna be staying out for 20 years or so I would most likely do aluminum or powder coated steel.

1695114782772.jpeg

1695114801148.jpeg
Funny I was about to say ,”that looks like Viking “ scrolled up … lol

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Alufab to design my stand. Tidal Gardens has a great video explaining some of the pros and cons. I had them design it so I could slide in stained wood panels for the sides and doors. I was also able to design a light hanging system that attached to the frame as well.
1695347208521.png

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going with aluminum extrusion myself, there is no way I will ever go back to anything else. No comparison. lol The black anodized is the way to go man. It's sweet.

*Don't just buy cut sections and try to gusset the pieces together. Have them machine for the proper fasteners or you will likely regret it and be very embarrassed. Gussets are not an attachment mechanism. They are a stability mechanism. I've seen a couple people do this now and they're gonna pay the price.* Ok, I had to say that because...people. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Get the leveling casters. If you ever need to move your tank, you can carefully roll it and set it back down on strong rubber feet. If you have a much larger tank like the gentleman above, don't get the casters because rolling a tank that large might be impossible and rolling it over an uneven floor would not be the thing to do.

And go bigger than you need. Because why not.

If there is any regret I have with mine it's that I cut it too close with my sump length and now I have to move the mounting channel in the lower extrusion more outboard so the side panels will fit. But I was greedy, so I'll take that and it's no problem. lol

I went with Alufab.

1695345393566.jpeg
All awesome tips from learned experience! I have both wood and steel stands but not aluminum so Im looking to learn as much as possible before embarking! I'm definitely leaning this direction as it's a 250gal that I'm upgrading to and I'll be in it for quite awhile so I'd rather have a stand that's easy to customize as needed rather than go the quick and dirty budget route.

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Alufab to design my stand. Tidal Gardens has a great video explaining some of the pros and cons. I had them design it so I could slide in stained wood panels for the sides and doors. I was also able to design a light hanging system that attached to the frame as well.
1695347208521.png
Awesome looking stand! Any pictures of the lighting mount? I may go that route as well! I have an orphek osix 6 bar setup I'm currently running and would like to add 3 g4 radions down the middle for that extra punch for the added depth

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking stand! Any pictures of the lighting mount? I may go that route as well! I have an orphek osix 6 bar setup I'm currently running and would like to add 3 g4 radions down the middle for that extra punch for the added depth
1695348592483.png

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1695347208521.png
I love the doors. very cool.

How did you mount the light brackets to the channel? I have the kessil mounts and I want to attach them to this stand, but I can't find tslot inserts to match the small mount screws, and the thing that sucks is that the holes in the brackets are 1.5" centers so they would be perfect for the channel otherwise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back