Fabrication question for anyone working with acrylic?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been building smaller AIO nano aquariums from 1 gallon all the way up to 37 gallons. My question is regarding the false wall that we use what bit are you using to make the drain? Are you using 3/16 or 1/4 inch diameter for the spacing? Have you ever considered making them smaller, say 1/8 inch diameter?

Many gobies, smaller variants escape through the 1/4 inch spacing and get placed in the back of the AIO, they are returned to display but that is stressful 3 the fish.

How long are the slots, currently I use 1inch slots and that gives me a higher water level, but when you use MP10's or Nero3/5 pumps, if you don't have euro-brace, that becomes an issue.

I read online that many use 1/1/2 long slots, but that gives you a much lower water line? Is that preferred for the larger tanks 30+ gallons?

Thanks,

MG

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as put in vacuum breaks and have your drain line up entrance high enough, I wouldn’t think it would effect your water level. Since you are building, could you experiment with this, with plain tap water? You could also go double wall with a spill way like Aqueon does, then you could put slots or holes down below the water line.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as put in vacuum breaks and have your drain line up entrance high enough, I wouldn’t think it would effect your water level. Since you are building, could you experiment with this, with plain tap water? You could also go double wall with a spill way like Aqueon does, then you could put slots or holes down below the water line.
Do you have a link or pictures of the example?

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many have slots that are 1/4 inch in diameter and measure 1.5 inches from top to bottom of the slot? Were does your water line sit?

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the tank building game a little while, and my overflow box teeth are .260 gap, and 1.25” tall with a 3/8” tooth. My setup uses a .250” spiral carbide cutter. If you want pictures, look up my Instagram, which is Clear Fabrications.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the tank building game a little while, and my overflow box teeth are .260 gap, and 1.25” tall with a 3/8” tooth. My setup uses a .250” spiral carbide cutter. If you want pictures, look up my Instagram, which is Clear Fabrications.
So, the gap is a little bigger than 1/4 inches = .260mm. So I am a little confused on the 1.25"tall with 3/8 tooth? Are the slots where the water enters the overflow box, 1.25 inches or 3/8 inch?

My current slots where the water enters is 1 inch in length. Most slots I see, indicate that that is 1 1/2 inches in length. If I recall correctly, I think TruVu aquariums uses the 1.5 inches in slots for there drains or overflow boxes.

I will look at your instagram next.

Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back