Fairly new reefer looking for any and all advice!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps dosing isn't the correct word? I am under the impression to get my levels stable; I need to add stuff to the water such as calcium and whatnot? Or is my only problem that I am not doing enough water changes to replace these trace elements? Like I am beyond sure some if not all of my levels will unfortunately be out of range.. but I guess I won't know until I actually test later on today.
Nope! In fact, adding stuff to the water tends to get new reefers into trouble! If you aren't testing you have no way of knowing if your water changes aren't enough to replace those elements. I have a 3 month old 120g reef tank with around 20 corals in it and can keep up with everything doing a 15% water change every week.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.AB dosing is calcium basicly. with a low stony coral bio load you should be ok with just regular water changes.
some folks do call anything they put in the tank "dosing" even though something like phytoplankton is actually just food.
on thing you may not have and might want to look into is a bottled bacteria. Prime, stability, Mb7 etc. just to add bacteria to the bio filter.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.AB dosing is calcium basicly. with a low stony coral bio load you should be ok with just regular water changes.
some folks do call anything they put in the tank "dosing" even though something like phytoplankton is actually just food.
on thing you may not have and might want to look into is a bottled bacteria. Prime, stability, Mb7 etc. just to add bacteria to the bio filter.

Nope! In fact, adding stuff to the water tends to get new reefers into trouble! If you aren't testing you have no way of knowing if your water changes aren't enough to replace those elements. I have a 3 month old 120g reef tank with around 20 corals in it and can keep up with everything doing a 15% water change every week.

Thank you. I guess it all makes sense that considering I use a decent salt; it can replenish some of the missing elements. It makes even more sense that if I was to dose anything it would probably add to the nutrients the algae is thriving on considering my corals aren't taking in too much if any at all based on my parameters. Test kits come in later today and the rest of them tomorrow along with my RO/DI so perfect timing for a few corals I picked up scheduled for delivery Friday. Do you recommend I do a A small or large water change ? What is the "prime"/"stability"? Should I pick some of that stuff up? I have no sump yet so I was thinking that was needed for the sump in general.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime and Stability are bacteria by seachem. Mb7 by brightwell, Bio Spira, Dr tims etc are all bacteria to help the cycle along. If your stirring scraping and cleaning I like to add it in.
Many manufacturers also call stress coat, dechlorinators etc but they are all bacteria. I do like tho have them on hand.

Not sure what salt your using. red sea blue can(non pro) or instant ocean you can safely do 10 gal I believe. Im not a fan of huge water changes personally, and Ive only used higher cal and alk salt a few times.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I guess it all makes sense that considering I use a decent salt; it can replenish some of the missing elements. It makes even more sense that if I was to dose anything it would probably add to the nutrients the algae is thriving on considering my corals aren't taking in too much if any at all based on my parameters. Test kits come in later today and the rest of them tomorrow along with my RO/DI so perfect timing for a few corals I picked up scheduled for delivery Friday. Do you recommend I do a A small or large water change ? What is the "prime"/"stability"? Should I pick some of that stuff up? I have no sump yet so I was thinking that was needed for the sump in general.
I can't recommend anything without seeing your test results. I would really only worry about testing Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity and pH for now.

I think it is always a good idea to have bacteria/water treating products like Prime and Stability on hand but since your system has been up and running for a year I wouldn't worry about those too much. They are more for a new tank. If you ever need to set up a quarantine system quickly these types of products are very handy.

Just slow down and relax. More than just about anything else, reef tanks like stability. And they are very good at staying stable if we don't interfere with them too much.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is always a good idea to have bacteria/water treating products like Prime and Stability on hand but since your system has been up and running for a year I wouldn't worry about those too much. They are more for a new tank. If you ever need to set up a quarantine system quickly these types of products are very handy.
agreed. but ...the water has "stunted the cycle" in this case. so it might be worth considering.

You know me, id slam some fiji mud in there, probidio it, feed it like crazy till I got cyano(sign the bio filter is maxed) and let it fade over the course of the next 8 weeks..

this pic is 6 months after i fixed my water issues. I couldn't easily find one sooner sorry.
IMG_1190.JPG

5gallon weekly NSW water changes, refugium, no ab dosing. 20g sump tunze 9002 skimmer.

my method is not for the faint of heart. and those without a refugium.:confused:

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. but ...the water has "stunted the cycle" in this case. so it might be worth considering.

You know me, id slam some fiji mud in there, probidio it, feed it like crazy till I got cyano(sign the bio filter is maxed) and let it fade over the course of the next 8 weeks..

this pic is 6 months after i fixed my water issues. I couldn't easily find one sooner sorry.
IMG_1190.JPG

5gallon weekly NSW water changes, refugium, no ab dosing. 20g sump tunze 9002 skimmer.

my method is not for the faint of heart. and those without a refugium.:confused:

I actually intend to add the mud stuff into a refugium when I build it all up. Just trying to figure all the logistics out in general. I think the stuff you suggested would be pretty beneficial so I will make sure to have some handy. Any one you prefer over the other from experience? There's just a different name/product/system that can be used for basically a bunch of different things.. they seem to have similar names and then I get even more confused what goes where and how often.

Also I am currently using Red Sea coral pro salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recommend anything without seeing your test results. I would really only worry about testing Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity and pH for now.

Just slow down and relax. More than just about anything else, reef tanks like stability. And they are very good at staying stable if we don't interfere with them too much.

Thank you. I will be sure to post my test results when I get home. Tests were just delivered. Any sort of advice when testing ? Anything in a specific order?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually intend to add the mud stuff into a refugium when I build it all up. Just trying to figure all the logistics out in general. I think the stuff you suggested would be pretty beneficial so I will make sure to have some handy. Any one you prefer over the other from experience? There's just a different name/product/system that can be used for basically a bunch of different things.. they seem to have similar names and then I get even more confused what goes where and how often.
I like Biospira however it is only good for a year. Stability has the advantage that it is good for up to 5 years I believe. Both are fairly easy to find at LFS/Pecto

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will be sure to post my test results when I get home. Tests were just delivered. Any sort of advice when testing ? Anything in a specific order?
Follow the directions! :p

Testing order doesn't matter. Do each test and write down the results. When you are done, do each test again and write down the results to compare them. It's a simple check I do when using new or unfamiliar test kits.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Biospira however it is only good for a year. Stability has the advantage that it is good for up to 5 years I believe. Both are fairly easy to find at LFS/Pecto

So considering the biospira and stability have expiration dates; does that mean it gets changed that often? Is this stuff a powered/pellet thing that goes into my canister filter or directly into the water? I'm sorry I have so many questions just really so much to take in. Would these additions have any negative effect? Other than giving me more bacteria to eat stuff? My tank is clearly not too unhealthy I have all the little random critters such as snails and whatnot that I didn't add.. so I am under the impression I am supporting some sort of life

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the directions! :p

Testing order doesn't matter. Do each test and write down the results. When you are done, do each test again and write down the results to compare them. It's a simple check I do when using new or unfamiliar test kits.

Great sounds simple enough. I was always confused on why the test kit setups were upwards of $200 but now it's cause there's so many different types and variations. Should I wait and just test tomorrow after a large water change when my ro unit comes in? Or all three times , first now, second after I do it again, and then finally tomorrow after a water change ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So considering the biospira and stability have expiration dates; does that mean it gets changed that often? Is this stuff a powered/pellet thing that goes into my canister filter or directly into the water? I'm sorry I have so many questions just really so much to take in. Would these additions have any negative effect? Other than giving me more bacteria to eat stuff? My tank is clearly not too unhealthy I have all the little random critters such as snails and whatnot that I didn't add.. so I am under the impression I am supporting some sort of life
No, these are typically one and done products. It establishes nitrifying bacteria in your tank which then reproduces on its own. This is typically most useful in a new tank but if for some reason you test for ammonia and/or nitrite and have either be detectable, adding some should help. I think of them in terms of a "in case of emergency, break glass" type product. If something happens (such as Salty said, stirring up a very dirty sand bed) it is a quick boost of bacteria to help process any ammonia released.

They are liquids that you pour directly into the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea +1, and of those. at 8 to 12 bucks a bottle its worth it.
its liquid.

and your doing great. it a learning curve. I learn new stuff every day, or at least it try to.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great sounds simple enough. I was always confused on why the test kit setups were upwards of $200 but now it's cause there's so many different types and variations. Should I wait and just test tomorrow after a large water change when my ro unit comes in? Or all three times , first now, second after I do it again, and then finally tomorrow after a water change ?
Test twice before your water change. Then test once after your water change.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit to above, mainly prime for me as it more common on my coast oddly, and in research from some it was recommended.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, these are typically one and done products. It establishes nitrifying bacteria in your tank which then reproduces on its own. This is typically most useful in a new tank but if for some reason you test for ammonia and/or nitrite and have either be detectable, adding some should help. I think of them in terms of a "in case of emergency, break glass" type product. If something happens (such as Salty said, stirring up a very dirty sand bed) it is a quick boost of bacteria to help process any ammonia released.

They are liquids that you pour directly into the tank.

yea +1, and of those. at 8 to 12 bucks a bottle its worth it.
its liquid.

and your doing great. it a learning curve. I learn new stuff every day, or at least it try to.

Great thanks. Pretty sure I used something similar at the beginning to help jump start the cycling. Will make sure to grab one soon. Will it cause any problems to just add it as is at this point and time of my tank life ? It says just turn the skimmer off and let it do its thing. Honestly this whole world is starting to turn right side up. Now to get all my levels in check and move on from there. Extremely grateful for all your help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks. Pretty sure I used something similar at the beginning to help jump start the cycling. Will make sure to grab one soon. Will it cause any problems to just add it as is at this point and time of my tank life ? It says just turn the skimmer off and let it do its thing. Honestly this whole world is starting to turn right side up. Now to get all my levels in check and move on from there. Extremely grateful for all your help
i dump a cap full of prime and stability in any time i clean. I never turn the skimmer off.
some products are more concentrated I believe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dump a cap full of prime and stability in any time i clean. I never turn the skimmer off.
some products are more concentrated I believe.
Better safe than sorry I guess! It definitely does no harm.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back