Fallow periods: Going Fishless

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jan 31, 2015.

1. 1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek Well-Known Member

Day 19 of going fallow to treat white spot from my PBT. The pods in my DS think its awesome! Lol

image.jpeg

edosan and Humblefish like this.
  2. Congaken

Congaken Well-Known Member

Humble...just want to tell you that my fallow period seemed to work well to eradicate the velvet on my Kole and potentially on the ff (who never showed it)...after the 6 week period, everyone went back to the 65 after a major wc...almost a week now...wish me more luck...Thanks...

3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Hi! Im a little confused so I hope you can help me out here. A fallow period refers to leaving the display without fish to starve out a parasite such as velvet. So, I'm wondering how a fallow period eradicated velvet from a fish? Did you treat the fish in a QT then return said fish to the display after the fallow period? I'm sorry, I probably misunderstood your post and wanted to clarify in case I missed something. :)

Humblefish likes this.
  4. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

^^ This. I'm confused too. :confused:

melypr1985 likes this.
  5. Congaken

Congaken Well-Known Member

Exactly what I did...copper for weeks...thanks to you as well and say "hi" to Lauren...:cool:

6. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Lol. That's what I thought. I knew I was misunderstanding the post. :D I'll tell her you said hi!

7. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

I reached out to Dr. Colorni, who co-authored the article which established the "72 day rule" for ich. Here is my email to him:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you regarding this article you co-authored back in 1997: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1018360323287

The part I have a question about is quoted below:
    And also this section:
    As I am sure you are aware, 72 days is an unusually long time to take for theronts to excyst from tomonts. In most other studies I've seen, 35 days was the longest time it took for theront release. Do you think the cooler 20C water temperature was directly responsible for the prolonged excystment period?

I am needing this information to help determine what might be the proper fallow period if a marine aquarium was infected with Cryptocaryon. I thought less than 72 days might be sufficient if the aquarium was being maintained at a more "reef-like temperature" of 25C, for example. Your expertise in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Bobby

Dr. Colorni graciously took the time to respond to me and his reply can be found below:

Dear Bobby,

Thank you for your (continuous) interest in my work.

Undoubtedly, low temperature slows down Cryptocaryon’s metabolism and thus lengthens its life cycle. Indeed 72 days were an exceptional period, but it occurred with the aid of antibiotics in a sterile flask. In nature (and in an aquarium), over more than two months, I would expect bacteria to “gnaw” on the tomont and eventually damage it.

In conclusion, a combination of “reef-like” temperature and non-aseptic conditions should make a quarantine period “less than 72 days”. How long such period should be presumed to be safe remains a difficult question. The bug has millions of years of evolution on its side...!

Sorry I can’t give you a more clear-cut answer.

Keep up the good work,

Angelo

Angelo Colorni, Ph.D., Senior Scientist
    Retired ! Former Head, Dept. of Pathobiology

National Center for Mariculture
    Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research

- P.O.Box 1212, Eilat 88112, Israel

Research Website: www.ocean.org.il

Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

Fish_BowLisha, Myka and Brew12 like this.
  8. Humblefish

Without a clear-cut answer, I feel it is advisable to continue to go fallow for 72 days (actually 76) for marine ich.