Fed up with Apex

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an Apex system, but have not set it up and this thread, and additional research, has me considering getting the Profilux 3 that are currently on sale. One of the things I like about the Apex is the ability to monitor outlets so I can get an alert if equipment connected to it fails. Can anyone confirm that the GHL has this feature (I haven't seen it listed as a feature), or if there are other monitors that would alert me to equipment failure?

Thanks,
Ray

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an Apex system, but have not set it up and this thread, and additional research, has me considering getting the Profilux 3 that are currently on sale. One of the things I like about the Apex is the ability to monitor outlets so I can get an alert if equipment connected to it fails. Can anyone confirm that the GHL has this feature (I haven't seen it listed as a feature), or if there are other monitors that would alert me to equipment failure?

Thanks,
Ray
Depend on how you define notification when equipment fail. If you are referring to current and power monitoring. Ghl is much more advanced in that department. You can monitor the power of outlets ad an indication of equipment failure.

Can you elaborate a bit what you looking for?

There is nothing I know of that apex support and p3 or p4 do not support and more..

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had already crossed the event horizon and started down that big black hole. lol

Poor OP never even mentioned the T word. This thread, like many others has been tridented. Definitely a hot button topic any time Apex is mentioned so we shouldn't be surprised I guess.

Wow, I guess I hit a nerve....

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my Profilux 4 mega set from another member. Can’t wait to set it up. I have a KHD/ Doser combo showing up tomorrow.
Anyone know how to convert a Ghl Doser 2.1 SA to slave?

From the GCC Desktop App, or the GHL Connect App, should be on the General Tab, Operation Mode you can change it from Standalone/Master to Slave.

Not you... just keeps going that way. GHL people's nerves are content.
Agreed :)

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the GCC Desktop App, or the GHL Connect App, should be on the General Tab, Operation Mode you can change it from Standalone/Master to Slave.

Agreed :)
Thanks! I downloaded the manuals last night. The manuals are nicely done but I just skimmed to try and find that and didn’t see it.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bfsaunde - Glad to help :) Just a quick tip, write down your existing doser settings, when you switch to Slave and connect it to the P4, as those settings will be lost since they were stored on the doser itself. Also redo the calibration on the pumps also.

Last edited:

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bfsaunde - Glad to help :) Just a quick tip, write down your existing doser settings, when you switch to Slave and connect it to the P4, as thsoe settings will be lost since they were stored on the doser itself. Also redo the calibration on the pumps also.
Thanks. I just received the P4 set today and the KHD and SA Doser will be here tomorrow. So, no settings to transfer at this point. I found a used one that was paired to an SA Doser but I want the P4 to be the master.

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point of ditching my Apex system. Tired of the response of that equipment is defective. Do you have a receipt from 10 months ago? You dont well then we can give you 50% of here is the code.

Even though they dang well know optical sensors and my COR20 power supply has known issues. Just a quick cash grab is what they have become.

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it I can not say any of my apex add ons have lasted more than a year with out something going wrong. For that reason alone that's why I wouldn't think of buying the trident.

hmbrower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, In order to completely change to GHL from Apex (including trident)...meaning controller, ph, ca, alk, mg, and doser.... I would need Profilux 4, 2 slave dosers, KH director, and ion director?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, In order to completely change to GHL from Apex (including trident)...meaning controller, ph, ca, alk, mg, and doser.... I would need Profilux 4, 2 slave dosers, KH director, and ion director?
This will also give you dosing ability. With apex trident test only, if you want to dose you need to buy 2 dos.

You gotta love how powerful p4 box is..one box give you pretty much all standard control and probs (ph, salinity, orp, temp). No modules and wires...

For dosing, you get doser 2.1 comes with 4 heads for dosing.

For testing, you add kg director and or ion director you get kh,ca,mag, no3,k+..
The ion director is prob based that is still eveloving and will add more tests to its prob.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will also give you dosing ability. With apex trident test only, if you want to dose you need to buy 2 dos.

You gotta love how powerful p4 box is..one box give you pretty much all standard control and probs (ph, salinity, orp, temp). No modules and wires...

For dosing, you get doser 2.1 comes with 4 heads for dosing.

For testing, you add kg director and or ion director you get kh,ca,mag, no3,k+..
The ion director is prob based that is still eveloving and will add more tests to its prob.

You forgot to add also that the base P4 controller also supports leak detectors, and flow sensors without any add on modules. :)

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depend on how you define notification when equipment fail. If you are referring to current and power monitoring. Ghl is much more advanced in that department. You can monitor the power of outlets ad an indication of equipment failure.

Can you elaborate a bit what you looking for?

There is nothing I know of that apex support and p3 or p4 do not support and more..
Yes I was referring to current monitoring, which the GHL apparently does. It's a tough decision to make as the GHL system to duplicate my Apex functionality would be about $500 more, which would probably be worth it for increased reliability and in the long run may be cheaper if I don't have to replace failed equipment.

It's very tempting with the current sale on the P3- is the P4 a major upgrade over the P3?

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at the GHL website, and I think I’m coming up with an initial package of what I need. Maybe some of you can interject with options of what will or won’t work.
P4 Ultimate set. Is there a difference between the P4 and the P4e?

2x 2.1 Dosers ( currently run Triton which eats up 4 heads, consistently having to add a couple of trace elements like iodine thus the other 4 heads, but may swap for another brand soon. Not happy with the change to dry components.)

2x extra power strips, possibly add a fourth. I have a bunch of stuff to plug in. 6 lights, 5 powerheads, returns, 2 heaters, skimmer, reactors, ect.. plus I assume each unit I buy.

Now this is where it gets a bit gray/grey for me. When I start looking at safety control. How well do the flow detectors work? Do they come in 1” or larger sizes and is there a particular “head” unit needed? As I start adding different sensors do I need a “break out box” as I like redundancy and like to double up on such things..?

Some of the things I would like to do are as follows:
Return Pump: if it dies or gets clogged ( snail or something) turn skimmer off, activate a pump to move % water from sump to an emergency holding container if water passes a certain level in the sump. Email alert. When return works again, skimmer turns on after 10 minutes, extra water is pumped back in to sump from emergency holding container.

If there is a power outage/flicker/bump, which can be common here in FL. Once power is returned, a start up sequence and an order of what turns on when. Email alert. Is this possible?

And other things I think are more of an on/off situation. Ph drops below a certain level, plug Z turns on activating air pump with CO2 scrubber type stuff...

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot to add "in your opinion".
Actually, I meant to say if there is increased reliability. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal claims of increased reliability from people that have switched, but there are also a lot of happy Apex users. I have no opinion, myself. It would actually be way easier for me to move forward with Apex. I'm probably way overthinking this, but I keep reading about major calibration issues with Neptune probes. But people don't often post about their system that is working flawlessly.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I hope GHL has enough packages at RAP to satisfy the demand of people jumping ship. I am for sure getting a set - that's 3 apexes going up for sale when time allows.

I should have done it sooner! With Trident's release the classic became obsolete and because people are forced to get rid of it there are plenty in the used section at pretty low prices.

I'll keep the JR for environmental monitoring in the IT closet and remote restarts - these are cheap enough on secondary market for that purpose. I use them in few places just for that.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back